IGNORED

Favourite YouTube Videos

Joyrex

On 5/20/2023 at 3:51 PM, Rubin Farr said:

I'd like to hear more discussion about the value of the devolution into pop - like, I loved NIN at the time, and now I listen more often to stuff like TG or NWW, but I feel like having some relatability helps create an access point, while at the same time, you kind of lose the original essence of the thing. It makes me wonder as well, like what is the functional value of stuff like TG? Like, it evokes curiosity, dread, horror, but I wouldn't exactly say it's "fun" to listen to, which at the time NIN definitely was... I'd never heard music with any of those kind of textures, or which had such a grimy/broken aesthetic.. I feel like there's something to be said for something which balances accessibility with hostility or ambivalence to the listener. I dunno, just my 2p worth.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hoggy said:

I'd like to hear more discussion about the value of the devolution into pop - like, I loved NIN at the time, and now I listen more often to stuff like TG or NWW, but I feel like having some relatability helps create an access point, while at the same time, you kind of lose the original essence of the thing. It makes me wonder as well, like what is the functional value of stuff like TG? Like, it evokes curiosity, dread, horror, but I wouldn't exactly say it's "fun" to listen to, which at the time NIN definitely was... I'd never heard music with any of those kind of textures, or which had such a grimy/broken aesthetic.. I feel like there's something to be said for something which balances accessibility with hostility or ambivalence to the listener. I dunno, just my 2p worth.

I think we should discern between the "profound" art and the "pop/superficial" art from the artist. If Mr. NIN was able to  create soulful music, he can master the pop side of his craft, hence get more the money. Respect.

17 minutes ago, logakght said:

I think we should discern between the "profound" art and the "pop/superficial" art from the artist. If Mr. NIN was able to  create soulful music, he can master the pop side of his craft, hence get more the money. Respect.

Do you mean the profound versus pop within one artist or between different artists?

tbh not too interested in the money, just whether the music is good

I don't think pop elements in music have to be superficial, or that harsh sounds are necessarily profound

16 minutes ago, hoggy said:

Do you mean the profound versus pop within one artist or between different artists?

tbh not too interested in the money, just whether the music is good

I don't think pop elements in music have to be superficial, or that harsh sounds are necessarily profound

I firmly believe pop needs to be formulaic to be considered musically as "pop". Now, when something non-pop becomes popular, that doesn't means it is "pop" per se.

Edited by logakght

Just now, logakght said:

I firmly believe pop needs to be formulaic to be considered musically as "pop". Now, when something non-pop becomes popular, that doesn't means it is "pop" per se.

Oh got ya, so for you pop means formulaic.. to me I guess it means memorable, catchy, melodic, accessible, structurally simple - but I guess the easiest way to be accessible is to be formulaic, yeah

1 hour ago, hoggy said:

Oh got ya, so for you pop means formulaic.. to me I guess it means memorable, catchy, melodic, accessible, structurally simple - but I guess the easiest way to be accessible is to be formulaic, yeah

it means memorable, catchy, melodic, accessible, structurally simple:

I don't consider this pop since it doesn't has the structure of a pop song, and yet it is memorable, catchy, melodic, accessible, structurally simple—is this pop music?

Btw I hate pop music.

Edited by logakght

8 minutes ago, logakght said:

it means memorable, catchy, melodic, accessible, structurally simple:

I don't consider this pop since it doesn't has the structure of a pop song, and yet it is memorable, catchy, melodic, accessible, structurally simple—is this pop music?

Btw I hate pop music.

I guess it's further on the spectrum than like cock ver 10 or something, but I wasn't really giving a definition, just saying what adjectives come to mind when I think of pop, other than formulaic.

I've really enjoyed some purely pop songs, in the right moments, and like NIN is definitely more poppy than TG or something, like it's really obvious on "with teeth" which I don't really like, but it's less pop than Rihanna or something

I'm a bit lost though, not sure what we actually disagree about apart from the definitions of words

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 2:05 PM, Milwaukeeeee said:

They've got nothing on Bulk VanderHooj

(edit: /me, lol forgot I edited my username years ago....)

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

3 hours ago, hoggy said:

I guess it's further on the spectrum than like cock ver 10 or something, but I wasn't really giving a definition, just saying what adjectives come to mind when I think of pop, other than formulaic.

I've really enjoyed some purely pop songs, in the right moments, and like NIN is definitely more poppy than TG or something, like it's really obvious on "with teeth" which I don't really like, but it's less pop than Rihanna or something

I'm a bit lost though, not sure what we actually disagree about apart from the definitions of words

Yeah, it's just the words. I hate pop music in an, dunno, consumerism way, but yeah, some are necessarily catchy (since they are specifically created to be catchy). Probably I'm more into non-pop stuff, but I also like some poppy stuff, like Michael Jackson's Thriller (which by today standards wouldn't really classify it as pop).

18 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

They've got nothing on Bulk VanderHooj

(edit: /me, lol forgot I edited my username years ago....)

Lol, some Markus Ruhl IA shit should be done for sure

• Haha 1