IGNORED

drones crashing into people

chaosmachine

• 1 month later...

Welcome to City 17

this is permanently engraved into so many people's brains.. it inevitably comes to mind seeing any miniature drone buzzing around, especially the ones that rely more on hovering than "flying" forward motion and maneuver. Creepy to watch :w00t:

The only problem with drones is people not knowing how to fly them... which just takes a bit of practice. If people take the time to learn to properly fly them they're harmless. Our store sells a fuckton of drones daily, the big controversy over them is stupid. Most of them are basically flying toys.

just asking cause I heard people last year saying you're gonna need a license to fly drones here, and apparently you do, dunno how this works though

There is a law here in Canada about receiving permission before using them commercially... or does that go for all uses..?

STEVIE G!

Don't you need a license to fly a drone?

Yes, as of January this year any drone that weighs over a pound has to be registered with the FAA. However, there are MANY "mini-drones" that do not even weigh a pound that do not require registering.

The store I work at (Brookstone) sells both types, most do not need to be registered, and even some of the ones that do are still practically toys and would never raise enough concern to cause a scene, unless someone is deliberately being disruptive with it (The max range for the ones we sell in-store is 500ft radius). For the larger drones, there is a grace period they are giving to people who purchased a drone over the holidays and this month, where getting a license is cheaper. The new standards ofiicially go into effect in March... However, the actual enforcement of these new standards is sure to be damn near impossible to actually enforce with the smaller drones, and as long as you're not being an idiot with a larger drone in a populated area (yes, even a park) then you really should be fine. But for those that do plan on flying them around in larger cities, it's probably worth your while to get them registered.

It basically comes down to this: If it's a larger class, heavier drone (like the ones in the $2k range), it's probably worth saving yourself a hassle to just go and actually register it, if you spent that amount of money on a drone, you might as well protect your rights to use it and save yourself some legal hassle. Be aware of the airspace your flying it in, and the capabilities of your drone. And most of all, learn to fly it properly and fly it within your ability to control it. Just because it can go 500ft up or in distance doesnt mean you should send it out that far unless you know how to bring it back and the airspace permits such flight.

Sorry for the rant, I have to explain this shit to customers pretty regularly.

Correcting you: regulation is .55 lbs or over. I do agree though, don't bother if you're just zooming a lightweight clunker around the yard.

I got the Syma one, like xxx has in his video. Flew it around yesterday for the first time. Pretty fun even though it isn't FPV. :)

I stuck my finger in the prop at high speed and while it hurt a good bit it didn't do a shred of damage to my skin.

Felt like a bumblebee sting or something..

Don't do this with a proper quadcopter with high performance motors, rotors, etc. The racing quads would probably FUCK someone up

edit: HOLY FUCK that helicopter pilot in the video above.. ^^
doesn't even look real

Got my son a Syma XC5 like xxx did - super fun to fly and mess around with.

DJI Phantom 3 with 2.7K camera and gimbal can be had for as little as 439.00USD..

Nice price. The DJI drone's don't appeal to me much. Would rather save and just get a 3DR solo or something.

That and what I really want is full FPV. :w00t: The STORM racing drones look awesome.

Like this one:

CBAm3sW.jpg

Got my son a Syma XC5 like xxx did - super fun to fly and mess around with.

DJI Phantom 3 with 2.7K camera and gimbal can be had for as little as 439.00USD..

Nice price. The DJI drone's don't appeal to me much. Would rather save and just get a 3DR solo or something.

That and what I really want is full FPV. :w00t: The STORM racing drones look awesome.

Like this one:

CBAm3sW.jpg

The DJI's have FPV - as for aesthetics are concerned, this drone I think looks the most badass: http://www.yuneec.com/products/aerialuav/q500_4k

Didn't mean to imply that DJI wasn't FPV, just that it's a different class of quadcopter. Meant for longer flight, capture, etc..

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to have one, but the other quads of it's type appear to be better builds with stronger geometry.

The Yuneec looks pretty nice!

edit: nevermind. looked into it and the DJI is pretty solid.

Archived