IGNORED

WeeklyBeats 2018!!

modey

• 11 months later...

It has begun! I'm gonna try to really commit myself into the challenge this year, no more excuses to not do any music since I have more portable and flexible gear that can pop some sounds really quickly (looking at you, OP-Z!!!)

Now that I've got some undiagnosed health stuff that was making me chronically tired diagnosed and under control maybe I'll give this another shot.  OTOH I've got a ton of stuff I want to build so we'll see how the time pans out.

Edited by TubularCorporation

I did it 2018, then kept doing it in 2019 on streak club. I will continue in 2020 because it's been super good for forcing me to keep a routine and produce new ideas and get better at whatever the hell it is I am doing.

• Like 1

I have trouble with these not so much because I'm not working on stuff consistently, but because I don't draw a distinction between working on recorded music, playing/writing with other people, noodling around with video experiments and building things, so I might be working really hard all week but not produce any music at all.

And to be honest, I don't think there IS a clear distinction between any of those things, compartmentalizing is overrated. Still going to give it a shot, though, even if I just post a quick improvised thing every week.

EDIT: already uploaded something.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

I don't draw a distinction between working on recorded music, playing/writing with other people, noodling around with video experiments and building things, so I might be working really hard all week but not produce any music at all.

yeah this

I told myself I wouldn't do it again this year, but I just uploaded a track for it. I've established a goal to do more streaming this year, so the majority of my uploads will be excerpts from my streams. Hopefully mostly using Orca as well..

Every time I actually stream it takes me maybe two sessions to realize I don't like streaming at all.

As much as I love playing live, streaming doesn't feel like live performance in any way to me.

It's different, for sure. I like it because it's more interactive/social than just messing around by myself in my studio, which can get lonely sometimes. I've just started a restream.io account, so I can stream to a few platforms at once (does twitch allow for music streaming as well or is it just games?), which should open things up a bit. 

Yeah, I want to like it but then when I do it I don't like it. It feels like part of the value for me of working on stuff in a home studio is that it's one of the few parts of life left that isn't public in some way, and whenever I stream it feels like I'm violating something.  I'll probably give it another shot at some point, though.

15 hours ago, modey said:

(does twitch allow for music streaming as well or is it just games?)

Yes they do ! 

Btw @modey and @TubularCorporation could you please post the links to your WeeklyBeats pages ? If I remember correctly it was possible to listen to other people stuff right, would love to give your productions a listen ?

I'll add mine to my signature.  I haven't used the actual Weeklybeats site before (the 2019 one was a side thing on streak.club or something) but as far as I can tell the tracks don't actually go live until the end of the week they're submitted.  Don't get to excited about the one I've got up there now, I'm away from home so all I had was Reaktor, Reaper, a couple of plugins, and a pair of headphones, and I'm pretty crap with Reaktor so it's really just an aimless generative thing with some mix automation and reverb.

https://weeklybeats.com/tubularcorporation

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot about this, I think I still have an old account. Is it possible to jump in this late?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So how's everyone going ? Week 6 was quite hard for me to pull out mostly because I have very little spare time at the moment and sometimes it almost feels cruel making music when I have plenty of other things to do lol. But it's a beautiful exercise !!!

I forgot to share my weekly beats profile here so --> https://weeklybeats.com/adb

I didn't know the community was so cool it's a really nice surprise, glad I'm taking part in it !

2 hours ago, Stock said:

So how's everyone going ?

Good, missed week 4 due to sickness and didn't want to half-ass a submission. This shit is great for unfinished stuff that has been procrastinated over beyond death. Unfortunately have no time to really be part of the community and check out other stuff.

I always thought that even if there's no time to do it properly, I should do it anyway - just take 10 minutes on nanoloop or something to just do something extremely minimal (and crappy). Even if it sucks, fuck it: next time you'll do better. And who knows when you listen to it months later, it may turn out that what you though was a turd has a silver lining and a heart of gold. ?

• Like 1

Yeah I need to do that as well. I've been going through old recordings and cleaning them up a bit though, which is giving me a reason to release that stuff. It's good to hear old things from a different perspective. 

I've got to pack it in on this one again for now, just like last year it felt like I was taking time away from other projects to work on it and then finding out the week after next I'll be working at least 10 days in a row (one of them from home, but still) was the last straw. MAybe I'll be back to it in the late spring when hours at work get shorter, this seasonal job I do for a few months out of the year on top of my regular job always gets in the way plus I'm already taking on more music projects with friends than I have time for, even if they're all pretty casual. This winter a few of different people I hadn't seen in a while are all around again and all of them want to start different bands, so now it's a matter of seeing which ones click and which don't.

It did already get me back on the portastudio and there are parts of a couple of the tracks I submitted that I can rework into finished things for an album I've been slowly workin on since last fall, so it was still useful.