IGNORED

WeeklyBeats 2018!!

modey

I've got most of a boring ass track sorted, now I just need to come up with some kind of magical element that makes it worth listening to.

How are you guys doing this week :) ? I might manage to finish a track right in time. It will probably be painful to listen to though, I suck at mixing and the lack of time definitely won't help !!!

I uploaded another super long jam, this time some psychedelic footwork. Next week might have to be some op-1 stuff :D

Arnie was a dead end, I'll save him for another week.

edit: He made it in. Badly, I might add.

Edited by Gocab

Proud of my entry for week 2: http://weeklybeats.com/#/tsrono/music/cequints

I'm still working through week 2 as far as listening, curious what hidden gems are in there.

sent using magic space waves

Your track is amazing, the production is neat, the drums are amazing. Congratulations sir, I don't know how you managed to produce that just in a week, I'm really impressed !!!

I totally forgot to upload my track for week 2. It was not really finished, but yeah, I just forgot it. Dumb me.

How is everyone doing this week?

Haven't started mine yet, and I don't really have time tomorrow. I'll have to make and finish it within a couple of hours. One minute track here I come.

Man, I'm frustrated today. Feeling existential, like there's something wrong or missing at the core of my musical abilities/understanding. Oh well, I also have about 60% of a boring ass track here. It's shitty outside and I don't feel like going anywhere so maybe I will just work through it.

Thanks Stocko for the kind words. I'm honestly not sure how I'm getting so much done in one week, I'm either going to look back on these tracks as severely lacking or I'll burn out soon. Lol. I'm enjoying this challenge so far though, and hearing some cool stuff from everyone.

My track for this week is going well, but I'm really feeling time constraint; this track just needs more tweaking to make it 100% so I know by tomorrow I'm not going to be able to get it where I really want it. I hope how it ends up will work in some capacity though.

I know those feelings sweepstakes... sometimes they pass and sometimes they don't. When they don't I either take a break or just try something totally different than anything else I'm used to, that has helped me before. Hope the working through it gets you somewhere :)

I just powered through, did some shitty editing and called it good. Everything sucks, fuck this week! Hopefully next week will get off to a better start tomorrow.

I know those feelings sweepstakes... sometimes they pass and sometimes they don't. When they don't I either take a break or just try something totally different than anything else I'm used to, that has helped me before. Hope the working through it gets you somewhere :)

Thanks auxien. Yeah I'm sure it will pass. I think I haven't been getting enough exercise lately and the shitty weather is getting to me. I should just bundle up and go for a brisk walk after dinner. I think working through was the right thing to do, at least I got a track out of it.

And trying something new is great advice. Or maybe dusting off some stuff I haven't tried in a while.

I had some shitty weeks last time, for sure. This time I have the backup of a bunch of unedited jams waiting to be finished so if I ever feel uninspired I can just dedicate a week to editing something together.

I think the watmm contributions are pretty damned good this week, if you guys "forced" these tracks it's not coming through to the listener.

• 1 month later...

Doing this has really changed the way I work and write. I've had a few rough tracks, a few that I'd rather forget, and a few that I'm pretty proud of. I know a few of you are still at it. I'm still not sure I can keep this up for the whole year though...

I'm trying for the whole thing. Sadly I've gotten in the habit of only doing tracks on Sunday afternoon but I feel like I'm getting better at winging it, which is kind of cool. If I did that every day, I'd have 365 tracks instead of just 52!

Yeah the only way I've been able to keep it up is due to my latest micro-setup; it's pretty easy to just sit down and crank out a little jam. I just need to get better at concise jams :P

I seem to have dropped out, for shame. First I was sick, then vacation for two weeks. Should get back into it. Yes.

That reminds me that I need to do mine early this week because I need to go visit relatives for Easter.

Same here actually. And I've not really started this week's at all (what I did start has been utter shit and needs to be abandoned). Also, doing a track a day all year is insanity, don't even talk like that. lol

I seem to have dropped out, for shame. First I was sick, then vacation for two weeks. Should get back into it. Yes.

Definitely!

Yeah the only way I've been able to keep it up is due to my latest micro-setup; it's pretty easy to just sit down and crank out a little jam. I just need to get better at concise jams :P

It's been working well for you so far that's for sure. Streamlining a track down is something I was generally terrible at once I started with Ableton, but this track-per-week grind has reminded me how beneficial it really is to do so (not just in completing it quickly, but in focusing on the important components in a track, not wasting time on fluff, etc.)

Reserving this for w.i.p's or jams for me is the way to go in the coming weeks, not sure I want to have finished stuff in the open all the time. Fun project though, use it as a big stick to not procrastinate fully :cool: .

I've not really started this week's at all (what I did start has been utter shit and needs to be abandoned). Also, doing a track a day all year is insanity, don't even talk like that. lol

lol, it totally is, sorry :fail:

I used to go through at least 5 tracks' worth of shit before I got to something decent. Maybe I just got lucky on the last 3-4 weeks, or maybe I just lowered my standards, but I don't seem to have that problem recently.

It's been working well for you so far that's for sure. Streamlining a track down is something I was generally terrible at once I started with Ableton, but this track-per-week grind has reminded me how beneficial it really is to do so (not just in completing it quickly, but in focusing on the important components in a track, not wasting time on fluff, etc.)

Yeah, I am still spending too much time on fluff. I find myself pretty pleased with the sound of most of my submissions but as I listen to them throughout the next week, I notice obvious compositional or transitional improvements I could make. Seems like I should start new things right after the last deadline passes so i can simmer on them. Of course then I'd be missing that raw procrastination urgency/energy.

Naw you probably didn't lower your standards or get too lucky, you're probably just improving your creation/selection skills. I'd honestly forgot what it was like to get measurably better in some way when it comes to composition until this weeklybeats thing.

Oh there's not a single track I wouldn't edit in some way or another after looking back it. Letting them simmer is something I've been trying to do...it doesn't always work, but I try to start the new week's track within a few hours of uploading the last one...that way if I skip a day or two of working on it I can still be thinking about what to do, what works, etc. I'm still rushed those last two days though so I'm surely not losing all spontaneity and urgency.

• 2 weeks later...