IGNORED

WeeklyBeats 2018!!

modey

It stressed me a little bit in 2016 as i was determined to make all weeks. Not sure I want to put my OCD thru that again.

Yeah I had this until I missed a week in July and then just threw in the towel. Maybe I'll skip the first week or two this time to intentionally fuck it up.

It seems like a really nice thing to experimentally subject yourself to try and make something every week, but on the other hand I can also see it becoming some dreaded obligation which kind of sucks. I could see myself missing some weeks because I spent all my dedicated music time on something not really ready for release. On the other hand it could be nice just to submit some 10 minute doodle in those cases.

Either way I think I'm probably going to try it out.

It seems like a really nice thing to experimentally subject yourself to try and make something every week, but on the other hand I can also see it becoming some dreaded obligation which kind of sucks. I could see myself missing some weeks because I spent all my dedicated music time on something not really ready for release. On the other hand it could be nice just to submit some 10 minute doodle in those cases.

Agree on all this. In my case (I don't release anything and music is purely a hobby), it was a good kick in the pants to keep working on tunes and I've definitely felt the lack thereof. But it did feel like a chore at times. I'd alternate between spending hours every night on making the best track I could and the next week rebelliously waiting until the last minute and shitting out something pretty subpar.

That said, it helped me develop the ability to quickly put something together like never before and I've felt that in the social jams I've done since. Also I've recently reviewed some of the material I came up with, and a lot of it holds up and I think could be developed into something release-worthy.

Agree on all this. In my case (I don't release anything and music is purely a hobby), it was a good kick in the pants to keep working on tunes and I've definitely felt the lack thereof. But it did feel like a chore at times. I'd alternate between spending hours every night on making the best track I could and the next week rebelliously waiting until the last minute and shitting out something pretty subpar.

That said, it helped me develop the ability to quickly put something together like never before and I've felt that in the social jams I've done since. Also I've recently reviewed some of the material I came up with, and a lot of it holds up and I think could be developed into something release-worthy.

Yeah, I think one of the great things about that is if you stick with it, the worst you can do is get a bunch of experience quickly working on tracks and end up with a bunch of ideas that you can use in any of your new material anyway. It's not like someone is going to come and crucify you if your next album ends up being already "released" on Weeklybeats.

I think one of the great things about that is if you stick with it, the worst you can do is get a bunch of experience quickly working on tracks and end up with a bunch of ideas that you can use in any of your new material anyway.

Exactly.

Also there's Cuckoo's #Jamuary2018 thing that may be a good complement/foreplay to doing Weekly Beats 2018. Basically, just an excuse to share your jams...the idea is to create and post something every day. Obviously not full songs generally, but sitting down each day for 10 minutes or an hour or whatever you can, create something new, from scratch, even if it's just a beat or a melodic sketch or whatever, could be a good primer. Also of course seeing what everyone else does could be inspiring/etc.

^It's like the gym after new-years, everybody trying to get the holiday fat off. Just wait a few weeks till until the new-years resolutions have faded ;) .

All my shit stopped working when I was about to start on a last minute entry yesterday, so it looks like I'm already out. FML

^It's like the gym after new-years, everybody trying to get the holiday fat off. Just wait a few weeks till until the new-years resolutions have faded ;) .

Lol I was thinking the same.

There's already some decent stuff though. I enjoyed yours :) Also I'm glad to hear some drone/noise representation.

All my shit stopped working when I was about to start on a last minute entry yesterday, so it looks like I'm already out. FML

F that, just start next week!

Yeah same thing here I missed the first entry because we were moving out with my GF. The "studio" has yet to be relocated too lol but hopefully this will lead to something for the next weeks!

• 11 months later...

Going to try to do this this year.  Might miss week 1 though.

gotta wait until 2020, it's biyearly

There's this though, found it in the wb forums https://streak.club/s/1002/weekly-music-2019

Seriously considering this. 

I can't do it anymore lol.. unless one day I write a script to generate some random piece of music and a comment every week. I'm concentrating on sound design for 2019.

I can't do it anymore lol.. unless one day I write a script to generate some random piece of music and a comment every week. I'm concentrating on sound design for 2019.

It's really great for getting into a rhythm of creating something every week, but I felt at the end that I was both out of ideas and all my weekly music time went towards weeklybeats only. Often I would just crunch something out quickly on Sunday evening to get it done. Now I wish to take the time and pick out all the worthwhile ideas I did for wb last year and do something great with them, so if I take on another weekly thing, these two initiatives are probably going to clash hard.

I really liked the way it disciplined me to do something every week though, so I really don't want to lose that..

^Hear, hear.

I started of hopeful & prosperous, but then a kid happened so beat time replaced with changing diaper time ;) . These are fun projects if you can keep the pressure low enough to stay playful and not want to create masterpieces.