IGNORED

WeeklyBeats 2018!!

modey

Gah, I haven't either. I meant to do something with the Monomachine today (cuz that's what I've done every week...) but I'm getting inspired to do something with Max now... only I don't have any Max patches capable of outputting anything but modular farts.

I've been dedicating most of my motivation to a long prog track, that I don't want to / can't publicly upload because I'm submitting it for a compilation, so in the meantime I'm just uploading whatever I can quickly bash out on my machines.

Also, I've been feeling a bit bummed out with feelings of inadequacy re: music lately, so if that continues I may just end up submitting shitcore or angry power electronics tracks for future WB entries..

I've done nearly nothin this week, purposefully. Needed a break and to focus on music other than just one new track (live set ideas, Max4Live learning, etc.). May throw something together with a bit I started this week but maybe not. One week off ain't bad.

I started a new pretty complex track (compared to my other last minute entries) on monday, but I haven't had time to touch it since. I don't think I'll finish it in time for tonight. I guess there's always next week.

Hey guys, we're 1/4 of the way there! I managed to slap together another Monomachine jam I was actually kind of happy with, tried out a couple fresh-ish ideas with mixed success.

Also, I've been feeling a bit bummed out with feelings of inadequacy re: music lately, so if that continues I may just end up submitting shitcore or angry power electronics tracks for future WB entries..

I was feeling that pretty strongly myself for a while but I'm starting to get into a state where I'm simultaneously kind of less concerned with quality, and more interested in pursuing some growing aesthetic hunger that's not being sated by other people's music. Basically still doing shitty indulgent sketches, but of a type variety I really like.

I've done nearly nothin this week, purposefully. Needed a break and to focus on music other than just one new track (live set ideas, Max4Live learning, etc.). May throw something together with a bit I started this week but maybe not. One week off ain't bad.

Yeah I feel you on focusing on something other than a weekly track; the way it breaks things up feels kind of unnatural and mechanical a lot of the time although it's really become a part of my routine. I want to get back into properly learning Max soon, and building my own sequencers/synths/effects, and actually organizing them logically this time around.

I was feeling that pretty strongly myself for a while but I'm starting to get into a state where I'm simultaneously kind of less concerned with quality, and more interested in pursuing some growing aesthetic hunger that's not being sated by other people's music. Basically still doing shitty indulgent sketches, but of a type variety I really like.

yeah. I need to do this, I think. I'm actually considering just becoming a hermit with my music and only releasing it privately for a few people who are interested, at least for my pselodux stuff.. which could have the positive effect of helping me get back to my roots a little, and start making music for myself and not to impress others. Of course the weeklybeats model is almost the opposite of this, since it naturally lends itself to sharing/commenting etc..

I think. I'm actually considering just becoming a hermit with my music and only releasing it privately for a few people who are interested, at least for my pselodux stuff.. which could have the positive effect of helping me get back to my roots a little, and start making music for myself and not to impress others. Of course the weeklybeats model is almost the opposite of this, since it naturally lends itself to sharing/commenting etc..

I love that idea, and yeah, the Weeklybeats model is weirdly public and antithetical to that. At the same time, I feel like most of the people listening don't really care one way or another. There's really only been one or two submissions of mine with truly critical comments (which honestly is a bit disappointing!) I think the times when the WB thing has bothered me the most is when I'm most self-conscious about it, and I feel like I'm thinking of specific people's reactions while I'm working. When I don't give a shit either way and I just start making noises I like is when it's the most enjoyable, and when I like my results the most.

After this is over hermit mode sounds fantastic. I think that's when I'll be able to start incubating, collecting, and culling for album/EP material.

• 8 months later...

So the year is almost over, how has everybody been keeping up? Probably have had a few flaky last minute (fieldrecording) submission weeks due to sickness & vacation, but otherwise thought this was a pretty fun exercise, not procrastinating too much on other shit. Is this a yearly thing though, can't find anything on a weeklybeats for 2017?

I bailed halfway through :| Was getting in a real Monomachine rut and haven't touched it since. After not doing much music in the last few months I'm getting pretty excited at the thought of making some more, so it's been exciting both in the intended and in unintended ways.

It would be fun to build a new weekly beats anyways :) I wrote the guy back in jan and he never responded. :p We could host it for really cheap on s3. I could build it in a week probably. 

I had ideas for improvements anyways as discoverability kinda sucked on there...

Any takers?

I'd contribute for a 2017 weekly thing, but rather use it for uploading public domain fieldrecordings instead of (un)finished tracks, finally put some mics to good use. Perhaps the weeklybeats site automatically transcends to 2017?

Btw someone posted a graph of uploads on the weeklybeats forum a while ago;

WeeklyBeats-Numbers-2016-week-48.png

Interesting to see the almost exponential like decay from receding uploads.

Edited by Guest

That graph is about what I expected, yeah. I think that's what 2015 looked like when I was glancing at it before deciding to start 2016.

Also I totally gave up a couple months ago...the first 1/3 of the year was quite productive for me, 2/3 was a lot more spotty and weaker (I got a Rytm and was mostly experimenting with it and learning, also was just wore out from sticking to that schedule) and I think September or October was the last time I posted anything at all after missing some weeks here and there. It served its purpose for me, kind of made me push myself to finish stuff more which was great, but then also I got burnt out on those quick hits and have been more focused on assembling a live set, new album (maybe new project entirely?) and incorporating all my equipment and workflow to be more inspiring and unique. Also of course there was lots of cool and weird music I heard there regularly, was definitely nice to peruse new stuff all the time. Don' regret doing it at all, was really fun in a lot of ways, but I really doubt I'd consider doing it again any time soon just because of what I'm working towards currently.

That graph is about what I expected, yeah. I think that's what 2015 looked like when I was glancing at it before deciding to start 2016.

Also I totally gave up a couple months ago...the first 1/3 of the year was quite productive for me, 2/3 was a lot more spotty and weaker (I got a Rytm and was mostly experimenting with it and learning, also was just wore out from sticking to that schedule) and I think September or October was the last time I posted anything at all after missing some weeks here and there. It served its purpose for me, kind of made me push myself to finish stuff more which was great, but then also I got burnt out on those quick hits and have been more focused on assembling a live set, new album (maybe new project entirely?) and incorporating all my equipment and workflow to be more inspiring and unique. Also of course there was lots of cool and weird music I heard there regularly, was definitely nice to peruse new stuff all the time. Don' regret doing it at all, was really fun in a lot of ways, but I really doubt I'd consider doing it again any time soon just because of what I'm working towards currently.

Yeah, this is a reason why I stopped as well. My quick tracks are fun, but since I've been getting more into sound design and elaborate composition, the weekly track format doesn't make as much sense. It's great for learning new gear though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

So who's doing 2018?

Up for it, but it will be hard this year to deliver finished material weekly. Perhaps a good fieldrecording excuse to share cc source material, at least go out with the recorder once a week :) . 

I'll try to jump in for real this time. I've been learning to work faster on my tracks but still don't know when to stop messing around with an unfinished song so hopefully this will help me.

It will probably just be MS20 arpeggios more often than not tho lol

I will make all 52 weeks :)

I miss the Auxien stuff......

Thanks! :D

It's great for learning new gear though!

Definitely! I learned a lot on my Evolver and Rytm and Pulse 2 because I was experimenting a lot, but many of the experiments weren't great sounding as tracks, unfortunately. I really think I started strong by sticking to Ableton only on much of the first few months that year, I know it like the back of my hand and could bust out some pretty complex stuff in only a few days of writing/editing/etc.

Doubt I'll do 2018, but hey who knows. Did 2017 not happen at all?

I've been learning to work faster on my tracks but still don't know when to stop messing around with an unfinished song so hopefully this will help me.

Same here. I got into a decent flow for the last one, and since then I stopped finishing things and have been noodling endlessly. Now I'm eager for a reason to just finish shit.