IGNORED

KORG Minilogue

perunamuusi

I was listening to the monologue demos and it sounds *very* similar to the Volca Bass, just with more envelope choices. Microtunings are cool and all but that seems to be the main selling point; the rest of it doesn't sound as interesting. It's like the computer game "Spore" with creature editor being the main selling point with the rest being bland.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this interview with Tatsuya Takahashi (creator of the Minilogue) a very interesting read, guy seems to be very into what he's doing

https://www.attackmagazine.com/features/long-read/the-democratisation-of-synthesis-korg-designers-on-the-making-of-the-minilogue/

Takahashi is the dude. I feel like he should be a household name for synth nerds by now.

I found this interview with Tatsuya Takahashi (creator of the Minilogue) a very interesting read, guy seems to be very into what he's doing

https://www.attackmagazine.com/features/long-read/the-democratisation-of-synthesis-korg-designers-on-the-making-of-the-minilogue/

Takahashi is the dude. I feel like he should be a household name for synth nerds by now.

I think its cool that Korg have taken some risks given someone an opportunity to push the boundaries and come up with new and exciting stuff. 

I think its cool that Korg have taken some risks given someone an opportunity to push the boundaries and come up with new and exciting stuff. 

Good point, there is a big organization putting a lot of their support in his vision. That's impressive for a company with such a long history, and one apparently still employing the builders of some of its flagships. 

This is great, I like the way he says the Volca designs were deliberately inspired by the limitations of the crap 2nd-hand gear that early techno producers were using. 

This is great, I like the way he says the Volca designs were deliberately inspired by the limitations of the crap 2nd-hand gear that early techno producers were using. 

Yeah that is the feel that I get out of the Volca line up. They're *very* good at one thing and not so good at everything else. There is lots of room to explore and trick the machines into doing different things they were not designed to do and get around the limitations.

Yeah that is the feel that I get out of the Volca line up. They're *very* good at one thing and not so good at everything else. There is lots of room to explore and trick the machines into doing different things they were not designed to do and get around the limitations.

Yes and I think that's fantastic. I've surely mentioned this elsewhere but it reminds me of Tom Ellard's idea of "fleacore":

Fleacore is the principle that most interesting and exciting electronic music is created by people early in their careers, using extremely cheap and shit equipment (from flea markets) ... [W]hen things are cheap they haven't got a famous sound, so people make new music on them instead.

http://tomellard.com/cave/fleacore.html

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Resurrecting an old topic here, but I got my hands on a Korg Monologue and the thing is quite formidible. It makes great leads and basses, and so-so with the pads (if you turn the bar measures to 1/1). The lack of a proper ADSR kinda sucks but I enjoy the one-shot LFO option to make some different types of envelopes on top of the normal ones, as well as a very clever sequencer that works brilliantly in step-sequencing multiple layers of recorded parameter motion, sliding and the notes themselves. The drive sounds a bit oversaturated so I don't use it too much except with pad creation, but the shape parameter is really cool at adding character to your sounds on the fly and also utilizing for automation. I've been making entire tracks with just the sequencer and some tricks with the motion recording and one-shot LFOs. Makes me feel like I'm playing a guitar more than anything since the keyboard starts on the E key. Really sucks that it didn't come with an AC power adapter. C'mon, Korg  :diablo:

Overall it's a very good SH-101 box for the 2010-2020's. A decent step up from the microbrute, at least. Really the only flaw I can find on it is that it doesn't have a proper ADSR (just Gate, AR and ASR). Something that can be modded in with a max patch but still...

edit: midi'ing it up alongside a Volca Keys is heaven omg

edit 2: took the machine apart and found out that keyboard doesn't use metal springs but these little plastic tabs to return the key up (wtf??). They look like they would become very brittle over time and use.The keyboards on these things are not going to last long term.

Archived