IGNORED

KORG Minilogue

perunamuusi

I picked up a Prophet '08 PE desktop module for cheap recently, definitely try to pick one up if you can find a deal. Sounds much sweeter than the newer Dave Smith stuff to my biased ears. It's 8 voice (two part multitimbral if you want). The sequencer/arpeggiator seems to be a beast (it can do polyrythms), but I haven't really gotten my head 'round that stuff yet. It's got no howl button, but it's smooth as silk. The self oscillating resonance isn't all that hot, but if you keep it in check it's a nice sounding filter.

Off topic, but just trying to say there are knobby analog alternatives out there that aren't ridiculously expensive, and of course, there's always the big black knobless 80s digital analog hybrids that are still going for a fairly reasonable price.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

too different in sound. Also the Moog sound is so thick i'm not sure 8 oscs would sound that good, it would be like trying to eat a full edam in one go or walking through a tank of jam.

if you search moog / slim phatty polychain (etc) on youtube you can find some demos demonstrating the tank of jam that is

Guest Chesney

Yeah seen those but phatty's don't sound as gruesome as the subs ;)

I did have a go on a Prophet 08 once but I'd already bought and sold all the Mopho's (had two desktops polychained to the keyboard as well) and the Tetra and was totally put off by the sound. There is no life in the raw osc. Sure once I delved deeper I got some fantastic stuff from it but I found my self not being arsed to go at them and just reaching for better sounding synths. Salem swears by the sound of his 08 though.

There is no life in the raw osc.

Really? I think the slop emulates the VCO drifting quite convincingly. Ah well, fair enough.

Guest Chesney

I didn't mean, drifting etc, It does that very well, that phasey sound where the oscs seem to dance about each other is something that people really like, The overall sound of the raw osc kinda just felt stale, I can't even put my finger on why and yeah it's totally a matter of opinion, just never got that feeling of "oooh this is nice" that I get from other synths.

Like I said though, I got some real good stuff from the Mopho keys especially with some real deep modulation etc.

I had no desire (nor do I have space) for an analog keyboard, but this is looking really nice. I just got a DSI Evolver that I'm still just learning, and I was planning on saving up for an Elektron (Rytm most likely...) but this little Korg is tempting.

sent using magic space waves

Guest bitroast

what the hell is that "lack of oomph"?

is it just hearing the synth act in super raw fashion or is the synth lacking character or something?

is it something that eq could fix, some post effect filtering?

Guest bitroast

ok. more demos are appearing. of what ive seen this one is pretty good. ( guy has a nicely dull voice that works nicely as a radio style drone of dialogue that sits nicely in background : )

Archived