IGNORED

Bibio - A Mineral Love

QQQ

I hated it after first listening, but now starting to like it which scares me. Mood of this album reminds Ambivalence Avenue with some new funky touch from Mind Bokeh + a lot of crossed barrier from more popy sounds : 7,8,13

Some recycled ideas, like : C'est La Vie sounds like rearranged Anything New (from Mind Bokeh), Wren Tails (Vignetting ?) but not complaing about it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty disappointing overall with a couple highlights

20+ listens and it's not really growing on me (there's a few truly bad tracks on here)

waited all these years for completely derivative music (he's caricaturizing himself)...I think he's really scared of not living up to his own myth and has (temporarily I assume) lost his fire because he's overthinking it

I had high hopes after hearing Petrichor and Preen You Own Wings

maybe he'll release a more solid EP with this one

pretty disappointing overall with a couple highlights

maybe he'll release a more solid EP with this one

True, you never know with this man. Randomly dropped The Green EP which was / is wonderful.

Fact of the matter is he's been releasing so much material you have to be happy, because there are some really amazing tracks in each batch. Should make one master album of like his past 3 of the best tracks, throw out the weak / odd / grandparent music.

So lush! Im liking this more than Silver Wilkinson on first listen. Some tracks venture into cheese territory, but ive had that feeling with his last 3 albums, and most of the cheesy tracks ended up growing on me (except take of your shirt... still a dud). Why So Serious I actually dig right away, it sounds like re discovering a forgotten 80s record.

In particular it starts with such a strong and positive first 5 tracks! Petals through Feeling :music:

Wren Tails is pure oldschool delicious Bibio.

It also ends on a super strong pair of tracks.

I look forward to letting these sink in as the weather warms its way into sprin

First listen right now and I'm not really digging the 70 & 80s funk and sax vibe all over this. Meh. Just feels too much like easy listening stuff you'd find 30-somethings listening to at a singles bar in the 80s or 90s.

I hated it after first listening, but now starting to like it which scares me. Mood of this album reminds Ambivalence Avenue with some new funky touch from Mind Bokeh + a lot of crossed barrier from more popy sounds : 7,8,13

Some recycled ideas, like : C'est La Vie sounds like rearranged Anything New (from Mind Bokeh), Wren Tails (Vignetting ?) but not complaing about it.

C'est La Vie seems to borrow from a bunch of his old tracks, including the lyrics i think?

i think in a concept kinda way he is throwing back to his own tracks in the same way as the old funk sound and stuff. kinda interesting but i could understand people thinking it is a bit lazy. not sure if i'm one of those people yet.

i think it'll be a grower, which is kinda strange considering the easy-listening sound of it haha. i can definitely picture crisp Sunday mornings listening to this while enjoying the first coffee of the day. bike rides... BBQs... all the usual associations with Bibio.

The Way You Talk and With The Thought Of Us cut up the album and are the 2 tracks i enjoyed least. without then the album is pretty stellar actually.

my thoughts are all over the place with this actually, which kinda excites me. GJ Bibio.

why do we even post in music release threads. the following is what EVERY PERSON SAYS EVERY SINGLE TIME:

a few days after release "a couple standouts but overall i am not feeling the direction he is going, though (misc. track) is seriously LUSH"

same poster a month later "yep, just haven't been able to work my way through this one. I've listened once and haven't been back. really missing (misc. album/era) but what can you do?"

same poster three months later "you know, i hated this at first, but i'm really starting to warm up to this. got home from work early the other day and decided to put this on, opened the window and sat in my garden drinking (misc. beer), it's all really starting to make sense to me now."

different poster "this one is DEFINITELY a grower...."

why do we even post in music release threads. the following is what EVERY PERSON SAYS EVERY SINGLE TIME:

a few days after release "a couple standouts but overall i am not feeling the direction he is going, though (misc. track) is seriously LUSH"

same poster a month later "yep, just haven't been able to work my way through this one. I've listened once and haven't been back. really missing (misc. album/era) but what can you do?"

same poster three months later "you know, i hated this at first, but i'm really starting to warm up to this. got home from work early the other day and decided to put this on, opened the window and sat in my garden drinking (misc. beer), it's all really starting to make sense to me now."

Yeah, except 'Take Off Your Shirt' will never grow on me...

not even the faux live version 'Take off your skirt'?

Ah, fuck it, this is my favourite album since 'Ambivalence Avenue'. I love how it veers from his current cheesy pop (which I love) right back to 'Fi' and 'Hand Cranked' in a heartbeat. The one track I was weary about during its intro was 'With The Thought Of Us', which grew on me in a matter of minutes. Just waiting for the Japanese CD now, 'Pretty Girls' sounds OK-ish from the preview I heard on iTunes Japan.

Oh yeah that version is much better...

Ah, fuck it, this is my favourite album since 'Ambivalence Avenue'. I love how it veers from his current cheesy pop (which I love) right back to 'Fi' and 'Hand Cranked' in a heartbeat. The one track I was weary about during its intro was 'With The Thought Of Us', which grew on me in a matter of minutes.

:beer:

Ah, fuck it, this is my favourite album since 'Ambivalence Avenue'. I love how it veers from his current cheesy pop (which I love) right back to 'Fi' and 'Hand Cranked' in a heartbeat. The one track I was weary about during its intro was 'With The Thought Of Us', which grew on me in a matter of minutes.

hear, hear! :beer:

fucking digging this album--cheesy pop and all.

"Vignetting..." is still my all-time favorite bibio, but he's so fucking talented, he could do it all.

fucking go for it, bibio! and come to the States, pretty please! I know a perfect little bohemian venue (my second home here in the midwest) that would explode with orgasms if you came (!) here! please, please, please!?!?!

pfftt, you lad's are no fun :emotawesomepm9: ...

pfftt, you lad's are no fun :emotawesomepm9: ...

Seriously. I spun the pink "TOYS" ep here, and the crowd loved that track, actually. Mixed it in with some dancey shit and it worked really well. Some big viking-looking dude was really into it: I couldn't tell if the track was really speaking to him or if he was going to punch me in the face. Either way, fun results, and again, the crowd dug it.

i don't think he plays live, unfortunately :--[

He did ! I saw him live right before Battles at a Warp party in Paris like 4 or 5 years ago, it was awesome - he played tracks live on a MPC, I remember his set being like a hip-hop take on the Ambivalence Avenue/Mind Bokeh tracks plus an amen break murdery to end the gig. It was really great.

If he ever plays live again and you have the opportunity to see him then go, you won't be disappointed !

• 2 weeks later...

i don't think he plays live, unfortunately :--[

He did ! I saw him live right before Battles at a Warp party in Paris like 4 or 5 years ago, it was awesome - he played tracks live on a MPC, I remember his set being like a hip-hop take on the Ambivalence Avenue/Mind Bokeh tracks plus an amen break murdery to end the gig. It was really great.

If he ever plays live again and you have the opportunity to see him then go, you won't be disappointed !

Similar set at Warp25 in Kraków, I was going to upload it over year ago, hoping to finally hear it on some new his project or is it someone else, anyone would recognise it ?

It started nicely, I stopped my recording but then it evolved smoothly to some freaky d'n'b.

1/2

2/2

• 2 weeks later...

Archived