IGNORED

The Guitar Thread

LimpyLoo

elliot sharp is pretty idm, without even using many effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNXqr_SfB38

also watching cenk erdogan videos on youtube inspired me to de-fret one of my guitars.. I still haven't used it in anything but it's really fun to play with an e-bow

I actually have a spare roland GK pickup, maybe I should chuck it on my fretless :D

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forget how advanced some of these pedals are. I'm old fashioned I think.

Remember that Ethernet guitar Gibson did? Individual out per string?

To me, my epi LP is just an acoustic that I don't have to mic to record, and has tone settings and volume.

A looper pedal with a couple delays is all I need.

Yeah that's basically what the GK pickup is, it has a 13-pin connector which sends each string separately.

Personally, I'm all about the tech. I don't want or need to take amps to gigs anymore. I just need one pedal with all of my presets, it works pretty well.

Of course I love playing classical/12-string as well but it doesn't usually fit with the kind of music I write. Having said that, my new prog stuff will surely have some acoustic sections..

That's mental. I don't have the bandwidth to go there tbh, it's all taken up with the tempest live set and reading manuals. I still try to know as little as is necessary.

I go to guitar so I can rest that part of my brain.

A looper pedal with a couple delays is all I need.

A wah, a fuzz, a tuner and some kind of (preferably analog or tape) delay is the most complicated guitar setup I've ever felt a need for, at least live. That and a good drummer (which is not so easy to find).

Yeah, tbh if I knew a good drummer who was free to play in a band I'd just turn my duo The Casuist (currently guitar and keys) into a power trio and switch to bass full-time.

I've owned a few basses; my first was a P-bass knockoff fretless which actually had a really great neck and some kind of weird body that was either chambered or just made of cheap wood, which made it unbalanced to hold but sounded fkn amazing. I had to get rid of it when I moved interstate 8 years ago though; I think a friend of mine back in my home city still has it so it's not that much of a loss.

Second fretless was a Squier Jazz Bass with some weird kind of composite fingerboard, it felt really lovely to play but didn't sound as good as the other one. I sold that last year to pay for a Japan trip.

My current one is on permanent loan/trade from an ex-girlfriend who has my Squier Telecaster (painted metallic sky blue with b-bender installed!). It's a Westone Concord I, it has some weird design choices—like a bizarre metal nut—but plays really well and has a super sharp/punky tone that worked really well in the prog band I played in last year. She bought a Squier P-bass to replace it and prefers that, so happily let me keep the Westone.

Never heard of Westone! Looks like the one with the brass nut was the Concord II, the I had a plastic nut. Yours might be some kind of transitional one or an aftermarket upgrade. I actually like brass nuts these days. That thing looks like a nice bass, 70s and 80s Japanese made instruments tend to be pretty solid.

Ah yes I think I meant to write Concord II, heh. But yeah it seems I got the good end of the deal. I never played my tele and the b-bender was such an impulse purchase during a very brief period of being into alt country, haha

• 2 weeks later...

every once in a while ill go through a guitar phase. i sold mine thinking i just couldnt do it. Even though Ive played and played for many many years i could never get that good. I think you have to start super young. Like 6-8. Im in a Jimmy Page phase now. I dont care about IDM at all. I hate myself for not writing Tangerine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Anyway, how many guitarists does WATMM have?

Watmm has another guitarist. Playing since 87. Good to be here. Check my sig for guitar twiddling n' beats.

Been playing since '91, and building them occasionally since around 2012.

• 1 month later...

Improv from couple days ago, me on tele-style guitar, girl on rhodes (well, played on Reface CP, but sounds are actually from Logic, haha (Rhodesception)), no click, raw (no cuts, all mistakes in, etc.):

• 1 year later...

been really into guitar lately. it was my first instrument but it's been on the backburner for a while. recently started making some loops on my octave mandolin and then got obsessed with electric. got a sweet new offset thats a lot more ergonomic than my epi lespaul.

thinking of selling the LP and buying a squire p bass. it would round out my studio set up a lot more than a new synth.

i am making do with ableton effects. i'd like to venture out, but i have a couple stand-by's. right now it's running into a Way Huge pork loin with the saturation turned off and the clean knob cranked all the way, then straight into the sound card. sounds really good tbh.

the guitar itself sounds amazing. kind of between a tele and jazzmaster. i'm a big fan of the limited tone options. not something i need with a daw in front of me.

anyone have a must have pedal rec that's under $200? the main one i'm considering is one of those amp sims, just to try.

this is my new guitar

sdzkujnnbs4vgp9dzetl.jpg

i'm making a lot of medieval counterpoint on it. very fun.

that, and making loops over some 606 100bpm house beats.

https://www.buyanalogman.com/Analog_Man_Sun_Face_p/am-sun-face.htm

OR any other well optimized NOS Germanium fuzz.

Or just get a set of matched transistors from Small Bear and build your own for about $50 (or quite a bit less depending on the enclosure), it's easy and it will be as good as or better than any commercial offering.  There's a good stripboard layout with added polarity protection (but old pedal designs and especially fuzz face variants sound much better if you run them from 9v carbon batteries - the kind you get 2 for a dollar at the dollar store, NOT alkalines or rechargeables of any kind) so you don't have to read a schematic and design your own point to point layout or anything (although even that is pretty hard, that's how I learned to solder years ago and I still use that pedal all the time), and really there's not a fuzz pedal made that's worth spending over $100 on, they're extremely simple.

Anyway, it's really useful to have one of these around, they're extremely responsive and clean up really well with your guitar's volume control (especially if you aren't using any buffers between the guitar and fuzz).  You could easily leave one on all the time and smoothly go from clean with a slight high end boost all the way to near square wave clipping just with the volume control on your guitar.  I've used a lot of distortions over the years and the two I always come back to are Germanium Fuzz Face and the Zoom PD-01 Power Drive.

I would very much like a baritone jag

I still want a Bass VI or equivalent.. or one of those sweet black/chrome HH Jaguars Fender made around 10 years ago.

anyone mess with flatwound strings?

Yeah, I use them on my fretless. I had them on my Mustang but they just weren't bright enough for me. They're amazing on the fretless though, and if you're playing more mellow styles, especially on a hollowbody, they sound really nice.

anyone mess with flatwound strings?

On 12 string absolutely.  Flatwounds with the octave strings ABOVE the regular strings rather than below (so your pick hits the higher one of the pair first on the downstroke) is the way to go on an electric 12.  If you use round wound the lower strings are too bright and mask the sound of the octave strings, and if you string it so you hit the low strings before the octave strings, you don't hit them hard enough and again they get lost.

I like semi-flat on bass a lot, too.

Archived