IGNORED

The Guitar Thread

LimpyLoo

Hammett's style got a bit grating/samey once I started noticing his tricks, but damn, the solos on Justice are amazing.

As for Dimebag, I always think I'm not a fan of his style but then I listen to something like Hard Lines, Sunken Cheeks and hear how much expression and soul he conveyed with his playing. Plus, his rhythm and general sense for guitar noise was awesome. So I dunno. Far Beyond Driven was as far as I got with Pantera, but it's a great album.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chesney

Yeah I stopped at far beyond driven too. And stopped at Black album with Metallica. Then I stopped following metal pretty much.

Guest Chesney

Chris Poland and Dave Mustaine nail that thing, too.

No way, Mustaine was terrible. Well, he got loads better being with Marty for many years. He sort of kept up with a few solos on Rust in Piece and Countdown.

heh, well clearly the post was a round about way to be a snob nwae, but not as directly pointing at anyone's sacred cow, so they can guess that I'm against the other guy's favourite, well unless they're the victimised type, then clearly I'm talking about their terrible taste specifically and only, and they're being ganged up on even more than usual thanks to that fucking dleetr.

/jokes fellaz

At least noones's mentioned the shadows yet, /gingerly winks at moedman

I started playing guitar when I was a pre-teen, went through the metal phase and all that shiz. Never really was too into music theory, but I can improvise just due to being comfortable and my ears and fingers knowing what is right or wrong. Sort of a shitty way to describe that.

Now-a-days, I don't use a pick unless in certain recording situations and only play electric guitars when I'm recording something or needing to model a tone/effect for recording. I pretty much only play on the 2 Martins I have (D-28 and DM) and my yamaha classical (NTX700) and have ditched/sold my old Ibanez S-series and Epiphone double-cut semi-hollow.

I pretty much only play on the 2 Martins I have (D-28 and DM) and my yamaha classical (NTX700) and have ditched/sold my old Ibanez S-series and Epiphone double-cut semi-hollow.

I've only ever played a Martin once, at a friend's house. It was super lovely to both play and hear. I can't justify getting one since I don't play much acoustic guitar but I can understand why they're so expensive.

Speaking of ditching guitars, I'm kinda considering selling a bunch of mine, using the Steinberger with the GP-10 can essentially emulate any guitar sound I'd want to use. I'd probably keep my Samick strat (the first electric I owned) and my fretless, but everything else could go (Fender Mustang, Squier Jagmaster, Epiphone LP Special II). I probably wouldn't get much for them but they're just lying around doing nothing at the moment.

/tries to keep music snob self out of conversation, must not say anything.

It was this...

Kirk Hammet is an underated guitarist I think

wasn't it? :biggrin:

Hahahah, right on the money, mr everything with a wahwah pedal. And then the knocking of the guy that got the ball rolling for the tallica by writing 'all' their early songs and defining their style along with the melodic bassist, I mean he's an angry SOB, but credit where it's due.

I pretty much only play on the 2 Martins I have (D-28 and DM) and my yamaha classical (NTX700) and have ditched/sold my old Ibanez S-series and Epiphone double-cut semi-hollow.

I've only ever played a Martin once, at a friend's house. It was super lovely to both play and hear. I can't justify getting one since I don't play much acoustic guitar but I can understand why they're so expensive.

Speaking of ditching guitars, I'm kinda considering selling a bunch of mine, using the Steinberger with the GP-10 can essentially emulate any guitar sound I'd want to use. I'd probably keep my Samick strat (the first electric I owned) and my fretless, but everything else could go (Fender Mustang, Squier Jagmaster, Epiphone LP Special II). I probably wouldn't get much for them but they're just lying around doing nothing at the moment.

The only martins I have played have been too twangy, I now realise that this might have been cause the strings were too fresh cause the rich fuckers that owned them didn't play the things. Perhaps, maybe they suck though, I don't know much about guitars, had the same 3/4 body acoustic for 22 years now. Be weird playing something else, heh, maybe I'll have a mid life crisis and start playing around with other guitars. tee hee.

Guest Chesney

haha, delet, you're funny ;)

Mustaine was a fuckup and in no way defined their sound in the early days, have you even seen or heard them live when he was in the band? by the time Peace sells was done and working on Rust in Piece, Mustaine was getting over being left out to dry and got on with his own thing and fuck, did he do that! Rust in Piece is a masterpiece because of him.

Hammet, is a one trick blues pony, sure but he does what needs to be done to make a memorable sing along solo. Which for me is better than some tech wiz relying on high speed scales they got taught.

Each to their own though. Like I say, technically amazing guitarists CAN pull off good writing AND be insanely tech, but not that many.

Hammet has personality, whether you like it or not is a different matter.

Guest Chesney

That's wicked *knucks*. It would have been a shame to let a really chilled thread turn into "I listen to better music than you", we'll leave that for the fanboys in the Artist sub forums. ;)

But actually, we're both right thinking about it. He's rated depending on who you talk to.

That's wicked *knucks*. It would have been a shame to let a really chilled thread turn into "I listen to better music than you", we'll leave that for the fanboys in the Artist sub forums. ;)

But actually, we're both right thinking about it. He's rated depending on who you talk to.

I spose I should clear a few things up, I don't think he's a shit guitarist, just don't think he's overrated, he has about as much 'rate' as is required :bigsmilegif:. The mr. Wahwahwahwah thing was meant to be funny as well, cause that what he does all the time and as I got older it started bugging me. If you don't want to get me started don't prod the bearenstein. You can prog the bearenstein though if you like,, probably be more interesting solos, hahah. :happytongueoutcausewefunandhavinggoodtimegif:

:hopeitdoesntseemforcedgif,causeyeahguitarguysaregenerallyprettychillandnotanil:

Let's talk about Polvo, then.

I like what I've heard of them, but sometimes I'd love to hear a math rock band just play a fucking melody at least once in a while

math rock is great and all, but I get bored of angular atonal guitar playing as quickly as I get bored of super straight rock chord progressions

The only martins I have played have been too twangy, I now realise that this might have been cause the strings were too fresh cause the rich fuckers that owned them didn't play the things. Perhaps, maybe they suck though, I don't know much about guitars, had the same 3/4 body acoustic for 22 years now. Be weird playing something else, heh, maybe I'll have a mid life crisis and start playing around with other guitars. tee hee.

That's weird. I've always heard and experienced that out of the two 'big' guys; Martin and Taylor - that Taylor was the more bright and 'twangy' of the two. I frequently use my roommates Taylor 326ce when playing in recording situations over my Martins because of the more robust low-end that comes with both the D-28 and DM when they have strings that are worn in well enough. My Martin's are great for playing in a small room and makes a great guitar for playing outdoors with friends.

But yeah, you could be on to something about the new strings. When I re-string the D-28, it has a fucking intense crispness that fades over a month or so, sounds brilliant harmonically when it's in that state, but can be perceived as rather twangy if one is used to playing or more worn-in strings.

Lately I've been digging the upper-end Seagull acoustics that I've tried. A friend of mine has one of their Artist Studio CW II's and I was blown away when I played it in a studio setting. I'm thinking about selling the DM and getting one as the DM is just not great for recording IMO.

@ limpers, the aforementioned friend I spoke about is also a very talented Jazz guitarist who studied at Berkeley, reading your posts is like talking with him. I know some music theory, but not as much as I should. I feel like writing 'songs' would be a little easier, but I seem to manage, or something lol. I'll have to see if I can find his recordings online the next time I see him so I can show you.

Archived