• Last Reply

@ blysk - coolbeans...I'd love to hear his stuff if you can locate

Also:

you have a D-28?!? Whoa. Congrats on owning such a beautiful instrument

They have such a pristine yet rustic tone, it's almost like cello

What sorta stuff do you play in it?

Modey, This EP is super-dense with melodic guitar stuff:

(P.s. I would t say that Polvo are 'mathy'

mostly they're about intertwining melodies played on severely-detuned guitars)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FxaJwagK_-I

yeah, that sounds pretty good actually.. I think when I heard them I wasn't really in the mindset for that style of music. I can't even remember which album it was that I heard. I may even be totally mistaken hahaha, but my comment about math rock bands still stands; it'd be funny if eventually it comes full circle and the true experimental bands play super lovely melodies (like my idea to play at an experimental night and be the only true experimenter among the other performers by playing pop songs)

Modey, This EP is super-dense with melodic guitar stuff:

(P.s. I would t say that Polvo are 'mathy'

mostly they're about intertwining melodies played on severely-detuned guitars)https://youtube.com/watch?v=FxaJwagK_-I

It's like a low level pavement knockoff, should rename the band povoe (there's a 90s word for ya).

hah. I think some people are more emotionally insulated from opposing opinions than others. With my friends and family, I just say what I think about things, they say what they think and who gives a shit if we think different things, it's not a personal indictment of anyone's taste. I would have thought given how you especially, daily, argue from antithetical 'philosophical' standpoint all the time, ad infinitum in some threads. That you would have a more durable, robust, healthy intellectual distance when encountering opinions that differ from your own on those things that are perhaps a little closer to home emotionally, the special feelz, music your grew up listening to, but that are not personal slights or attacks. (Even these last two can be excused amongst my friends, cause we're honest with one another and don't expect any less, and it's pretty clear that we're still friends and passionate care for one another)

As it appears this isn't the case, and you are triggered apparently by opposing opinions of this sort, and it isn't fun actually upsetting people, well tedious is closer to the truth, tedious and boring. I shall no longer respond to anything you write. I hope this puts an end to your discomfort.

/love dleet [-;

I'm not triggered by opposing opinions

I dunno, maybe I read a maliciousness into your posts that isn't really there

But it seems like you go around these threads with your anus locked and loaded

Eager to shit on things

Look at this shit, time magazine names yngwie one of the top ten electric guitar players of all time, (they love their lists, oldschool buzzfeed obviously).

Yngwie Malmsteen
The Swede's superfast "neoclassical" style — he credits Bach and Paganini as influences — is a blur of scales and technical precision. It almost makes you forget that the great bulk of his music is so fast that it's unlistenable.

link

Maybe for some dumb fuck that writes for time magazine whilst helping to cheer on and nurture boring music, one slow brained speech impediment at a time. If anything, things can be faster, much faster, and complicated, which is another thing altogether, but the flicker rates of most in this planet doom us all to statements like the above, -sie-. "oh, it's all about the space, dleet, you've got to let things breath." gleh, retrograde humons. And then they give us space, but no folk, funk, or elek.

And this guy has the most elegant legato technique I've ever heard...

(again, another metal-fusion guy):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bTI2s4svE2s

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hj4qSyFlc0A

I'm obsessed with being able to play like tenor players (e.g. Coltrane, Mark Turner)

And legato and sweep-picking are really the only way to do the 'sheets of sound' stuff

With the 'played with a single breath' fluidity

• 1 month later...

why did this thread default to a volley re: technical skill?

while i like stuff like special efx, i like a musician like chieli minucci for the overall aesthetic of the sound. it doesn't really matter to me beyond that

also, how did this become a discussion of music other people have made as opposed to a discussion on actually making guitar music ourselves?

I have the Boss GP10 which allows each string to be independently tuned (and also use the expression pedal to sweep between tunings), so I keep mine in standard and just use presets. Pretty good!

Experimenting with different intervals might give som intetesting results? Fifths and octaves should still be able to drive some feedback, I'd guess.

Yeah, I imagine it'd either be pretty interesting or there wouldn't be as much feedback as when tuned in standard tuning.

The GP10 also does polyphonic distortion, ie. each string is distorted independently. It sounds super majestic! PLUS it does guitar modelling, and also has an unusually fully featured synth engine and LFOs that can be assigned to *any* parameter on the device (including the on/off switch for the tuner, which I discovered accidentally, haha).

I'm about to move house so it's packed up but as soon as I get my new studio set up I'm gonna use it in some recordings.

Guest Chesney

Sounds interesting, def keep us posted. I'd really like to integrate guitar into my stuff without starting another project and not going all campfire headphase. mainly just for the writing style. I run into brickwalls easily writing on keys.

Archived