IGNORED

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

misc

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another one here that feels BTW just doesn't fit right on the album. It also aggravates my ears a little bit, something just sounds a bit off. It's not a bad track, but I haven't been particularly taken by it since they first dropped it as a single.

BTW doesn't fit right to the album

Couldnt care less

BTW is a powerful track

I love singing to this, well done by Thom. (Burnnnnhuhuhuuuuuuuuuoooooohhuuuuuurn)

Guys. You who do not like Burn the Witch

we know where you live.

Yeah Burn The Witch is probably one of my favorite 'Head tunes ever. I agree it's got 'hit single' written over it, but I can deal with that. It's no big deal for me fellow watmm hombres.

While I agree that Burn the Witch may not fit right in with the rest of the album, I think its presence makes it a stronger album on the whole. I'd also say the album could be improved by just 1 more mid-album track with a different vibe (as Burn the witch brings) to break things into a different direction. That said Im really really loving this new one, and its competing with in rainbows for my #1 radiohead

I hereby rank this on an undefined position among the lower half of the radiohead quality spectrum.

I hereby rank this on an undefined position among the higher half of the radiohead quality spectrum

I liked this the first few listens but I got quickly bored with most of it. I think I was just so excited to have some new Radiohead that I overlooked the feeling that most of it is unmemorable. There are some good moments but it's just a forgettable experience overall. Your mileage may vary..

While I agree that Burn the Witch may not fit right in with the rest of the album, I think its presence makes it a stronger album on the whole. I'd also say the album could be improved by just 1 more mid-album track with a different vibe (as Burn the witch brings) to break things into a different direction.

Very much agree with this. Burn The Witch maybe a misfit but is a worthy misfit and as Marked x One say's another similar wildcard placed in the second half would add a bit more character to proceedings.

I do see the slight criticism that the album is a bit Middle Of The Road, it's the same as when BOC followed up the mindfuck trip of Geogaddi with the mellow, dreamy The Campfire Headphase. Hardcore fans of both bands probably wish to seek that fiery edge or specific spark to their sound glowing somewhere in the distance. Without Burn The Witch you would need a fucking massive telescope to see such a thing.

I think the beer is starting to talk, so time to sign off for the evening. Have a good one.

Guest bitroast

omg that would be perfect. it'd be like paul stretched ambient version of radiohead songs but with the band actually just sustaining certain sections indefinitely.

Oh, first live videos on Youtube. It's a hard thing. I'm usually not tolerant enough to handle the... imperfect... live singing many singers perform, Thom included :)

a pretty amazing album ... if I'm rating all their stuff on a 1-10 scale, then something like:

OK Computer + Airbag EP (9.8)

Moon-Shaped Pool (9.3)

Kid A + Amnesiac + b-sides (9.1)

In Rainbows + disc 2 (8.1)

Bends + Iron Lung EP (8.0)

Hail to the Thief (7.8)

King of Limbs + Supercollider (6.0)

Pablo Honey (2.0)

The release of AMSP has had me relistening to Radiohead's pre-In Rainbows stuff again, and I'm stunned by how good a lot of it is. In my mid-teens I listened to Radiohead a good bit but only because one of my friends did and they seemed quite a bit cooler than Kings of Leon...but after maturing as a listener and actually paying attention this time, I just can't believe I didn't realise how good they are the first time. Kid A is particularly brilliant.

omg that would be perfect. it'd be like paul stretched ambient version of radiohead songs but with the band actually just sustaining certain sections indefinitely.

tim, janny, conan, eddie, paul.. pls

Guest bitroast

oh man. they are sounding tad rough around the edges there..

im sure its still a blast seeing them (was when i saw em on the ass end of kol tour^^) but still, they sound rough lol.

downloaded a nicer quality sounding audio rec of the 2nd amstrdam gig and it sounds pretty good in spots. burn the witch in particular though is so sketchy live. hope they find a groove over the tour !!! jeez.

While I agree that Burn the Witch may not fit right in with the rest of the album, I think its presence makes it a stronger album on the whole. I'd also say the album could be improved by just 1 more mid-album track with a different vibe (as Burn the witch brings) to break things into a different direction. That said Im really really loving this new one, and its competing with in rainbows for my #1 radiohead

I hereby rank this on an undefined position among the lower half of the radiohead quality spectrum.

I hereby rank this on an undefined position among the higher half of the radiohead quality spectrum

Well it's an odd number, agreement is a possibility.

OK COPTER - KID A - IN CRAYONS - AMNESIAC - MOON SHAPED POON - KIN OF LIMPS - HAIL TO TEE THIEF - THE BENDS - PABLO MONEY

Moon shaped poon is definitely thom's most introspective writing and one of radiohead's generally least ambitious album. Not that that's a bad thing, I just find it hard to connect with it. It really got me revisiting their work, and I may be biased because I feel closer to their other stuff but this one, while still excellent, doesn't really come close.

Also whoever put it in my head that the music is aboout a break up and global warming can go fuck himself.

oh man. they are sounding tad rough around the edges there..

im sure its still a blast seeing them (was when i saw em on the ass end of kol tour^^) but still, they sound rough lol.

downloaded a nicer quality sounding audio rec of the 2nd amstrdam gig and it sounds pretty good in spots. burn the witch in particular though is so sketchy live. hope they find a groove over the tour !!! jeez.

They've never been particularly stellar live. Whe it works it works but they are very prone to fucking up songs.

oh there are some great laughs out there surrounding Jonny and his modular/gear fails. I applaud him for trying to integrate it live without (at least as far as I can see) click tracks for the band or prearranged cues but damn. Everyone who has tried to play live with synths and step sequenced bits knows it's a huge challenge

Best one--trouble starts 1:30 onward where Phil lags behind the robots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIqcP5UNocs

You can see that hi-hat hiss into his ear pretty badly on this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpSP26MgxXM

haven't watched these yet but it sounds like what happened last time I saw them in NJ. thom yelled at Jonny and eventually walked off. it was hysterical.

Guest bitroast

here's the flac for the 2nd night Amsterdam show.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2r5is7b8r3e6vd1/RADIOHEAD+2016-05-21+Heineken+Music+Hall+Amsterdam+The+Netherlands+AT943+%28.flac%29.rar

the readme says to NOT convert it to mp3 but i converted it to mp3 because jezus fuck who has the harddrive space for self recorded live shows in stupid high def. can post here if wanting... or burn the witch at least so everyone can listen and be like "jezus that is really bad" at it .

Archived