IGNORED

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

misc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should of played this album more by now tbh

Keep punching myself to re-spin it but I get sidetracked with other stuff and it's beginning to annoy me

it grew on me. strong release, their third best behind ok computer and kid a. wish the numbers wasn't on it and that it ended with something other than true love waits which is really out of place imo. 

This is a beautiful record by the 'head.

Back in 8th grade the Bends was one of the first new records I got into entirely outside of the orbit of Brother 'znor. In that one thread about meeting mr. Rez I mentioned seeing the premiere of the paranoid android video in a New Orleans hotel room. Sitting there with my long hair wet from the shower, adorned in black jean shorts (jortes negro?) and hearing that music was like a revelation. That summer I walked the mile or so to the nearest Best Buy to get Kid A on release day. It was without doubt *the* record for me that summer. And beyond. I remember they did a live concert on mtv at the end of the summer and I tuned in and played guitar along to each new song. Felt like a goddamn badass.

Kid A came out just after high school ended for me. It played a brief but very significant role for me leading up to winter and I'll never forget playing it in my car in the middle of the night while driving through dark winding roads in the middle of nowhere Illinois, spliffs abounding. But I guess after that I set out on a rather rocky path of early adulthood and when I moved back to Chicago and then to Boston for school the Yorke bros became encapsulated in a bygone era for me.

I always checked out the albums after Kid A but I guess my personal relationship with the music had receded and thus the magic was basically lost on me. Speaking more objectively, while I always thought some of the tracks on each album were really amazing, I was never taken with the records as a whole. To me it seemed like they could never quite nail it and many of the tracks felt quite meandering to me. In addition I felt a lot of the electronic sound was very artificial, at times sticking out like a sore thumb. Sometimes a perfectly good 'diohead tune was spoiled for me by some totally oblique electronic element. But honestly, I always felt my judgment was probably skewed in light of the fact that my relationship with the music was no longer as deep and personal as it was in my teenage years. I had kind of written them off as a band from that time in my life and even though In Rainbows felt like something of a return to form for me I nevertheless never expected I'd be into them again.

So when this one came out I didn't even bother to listen to it until a couple weeks ago when, completely on a whim I downloaded it legally via the official channels. I love it. All the arrangements are so elegant and fluid. The electronic parts feel so organic and natural, with everything being integrated into the whole so well. There is such an open feel to it, even when there's a density of layers. Tim Yorn's voice sounds really excellent. Somehow I feel the drums are so "radiohead" which is something of an unexpected element in their work considering the post kid a use of synthetic percussion.

That's all really. I'm glad I checked this out on ye tail end of summer. This has such a great introspective vibe suitable to autumn. But the last song is utter bullshit.

Personal Post and heartfelt... but why didn't you make it funny? Hashtag 'expectations'

In some seriousness, I don't see why people think the last track sticks out. It fits in with the album for me. It's a nice closer. I think 'Tinker Tailor' is pretty boring. Like a meh thom yorke solo track.

there must be more where this came from... 

They need to do every possible acoustic guitar track with an acoustic guitar. They could totally do a mini ep of acoustic stuff and sell it. I like the Present Tense album version, but the acoustic guitar version will always be the best.

Guest bitroast

This has such a great introspective vibe suitable to autumn. But the last song is utter bullshit.

lol

i like the rendition of true love waits but kind of agreeing that it doesn't really fit at the end of the album.

i mean, maybe it does .. but i personally tend to always end up stopping the album just after track 10 wraps up cos i can't be bothered listening to sad piano drawn out sad heart break song. feels good. 

of course, now that we have 2-3 people saying they don't like the track, it's essentially an open invitation for ~2-3+ people to chime in and say they think it's a great closing track. in which case, they're probably right too. whatever. it's fine. 

nice post

glad to see i'm not the only one enjoying this album:^)

hehe

i know what people mean. i skip it often, but once or twice it came on and i realized why they put it on there.

thom really knocks it out of the park on this album. all of it is great but i found thom's work really impressive.

Guest bitroast

thoms tomorrows modern boxes was really nice as well i reckon. bit understated and maybe not amazing but it does the trick in a very inoffensive way. more so than amok, which i like ... but can also nitpick ... 

Archived