IGNORED

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

misc

it would've had to fit alphabetically. which i think it still may have. but the album flow is perfect for me now. i dont mind it as a b-side.

still weird to me that there is 8 minutes of music on an entire disc from a band who is environmentally conscious..

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

still weird to me that there is 8 minutes of music on an entire disc from a band who is environmentally conscious..

I thought it was a bit stingy when it was announced. Surely there was more left over than just these two tracks? I've bought the last two special eds (still waiting for AMSP to arrive). TKOL was OK but of limited interest for me, and AMSP could do with a lot more musical content to justify its pricetag even though it does look pretty lush. I'd love something else as expansive as the In Rainbows discbox. Still, I pretty much knew what I was going to get when I preordered AMSP so I guess I can't moan too much.

Guest bitroast

i mean.. who's to say the 11 tracks on album + 2 bonus tracks, isn't everything they had recorded and finished during the AMSP sessions. it seems reasonable that they had only finished so much to an acceptable state. maybe they had more but wanted to hang onto the tracks or save them for future projects.. given the perfectionist nature radiohead normally employ about their recorded/released output, doesn't seem too unreasonable to assume as much. 

in which case, the 2 bonus tracks shouldn't be a disappointment. it would be more a disappointment for them to exclude spectre from the box set on the basis that fans had already heard the track from when it was made freely available on the internet. 

it's like, shoehorning the band in a position where they can't win. fans disappointed cos band included bonus material. fans disappointed cos bonus track they liked was released for free as a gift. whatever. the bonus tracks are of good quality and i'm happy to have them alongside the main album :):)

Guest bitroast

ye i've cooled on the initial COULDA SHOULDA BEEN ON THE ALBUM kind of thinking.

still like it. :^) ondes party at the end. 

i like the synth sound but it's the same one from supercollider, similar progression too. getting a little tired of ghostly falsetto thom on these tracks. i guess this pairs nicely with spectre, back to back they make sense. first thirty seconds sounds like a band pretending to be radiohead though...

Guest bitroast

i do know what you're talking about a bit. but i also don't have much of a problem with it. 

radiohead sounding like radiohead. 

like, does the song sound like radiohead because as a band/song writers, they sat down and tried to construct something that would fit in with their previous material. 

or .. does the song sound like radiohead because they have favourite chords and chord progressions and playing styles, favourite instruments (jonny greenwood ondes martenot, etc). and them writing new material in a carefree, loose, collaborative position instinctively just sounds like the same stuff they've done before by nature of who they are as musicians ??

ofc radiohead sounds like radiohead. 

i mean, it's a post in a thread about radiohead so like, i'm just putting my opinion out there? i dunno. people get weird and defensive about this band and it's funny to me. i go waaaaaay back with them, my first forum experience was lurking the old optimistic messageboard prior to kid a coming out. so, this track. it sounds like a parody of a radiohead song, like the thing reggie watts does when he makes fun of thom yorke. ghost vocal over pleasant music add layers rinse repeat. it's a formula they've been using since in rainbows and it seems like a lot of their music follows a kind of template now. i just find this track to be a pretty bad example of lazy songwriting from them. i'm guessing this is one of the first things they cut when they went into the studio to record and then the album tracks flowed from there. could be wrong. i'm a big, old school fan of this band but i'm kind of tired of thom's falsetto voice at this point (wish he would sing more in his lower register) and a lot of their stuff is sounding formulaic. but hey, this is a bside so who cares. 

Guest bitroast

maybe it's like the boc influencing bibio influencing boc again kind of full circle thing ? 

thom yorke saw reggie watts on youtube and was like "well shit holy shit that's not half bad. he got the essence of me, thom yorke, down pat and with probably a fraction the time or effort". *commence spooky aoaoooooo singing*. 

lol apologies for being defensive or whatever. agreed that this is internet forum. just expressing my views same as you / anyone else. sometimes my views are in reply to others. everything i post can obviously be categorised under "IMO / garbage". 

Guest bitroast

prior to moon shaped pool coming, my mate was talking about this but less in regards to the spooky ooooo vocals and more in relation to the lyrics. he does a good improvised thom yorke stream of consciousness.  singing about old folklore english town and rain and whatnot. and then burn the witch came out and it was pretty much the same song :3 

Yeah, maybe the 13 traclks total is the entirety of the AMSP sessions. I doubt it, seening as they started recording, was it early 2015? And to be honest, if the special ed had been advertised as just the 11-track vinyl and CD I would've preordered the same  out of my own completist compulsion. More importantly though, has anybody got this fuckimg record yet? I had a despatch email Thursday, but the tracking info continually says it's just been sent to the Royal Mail and not yet absorbed into their matrix or whatever shit. Just send me the fucking thing, FFS!

Listening more to this an In Rainbows. I do really love in rainbows now, and this album has a lack of truly explosive moments, like midway through Bodysnatchers or Jigsaw falling into place. 

Present Tense still makes me dance though.

Yeah I agree, I wish they had kept identikit and ful stop as intense as they were when they originally played it live in 2012. I like In Rainbows more, because it has that Radiohead Crescendo all over, whereas this new one has very few crescendo moments. It's more subtle than In Rainbows however.

Yeah I agree, I wish they had kept identikit and ful stop as intense as they were when they originally played it live in 2012. I like In Rainbows more, because it has that Radiohead Crescendo all over, whereas this new one has very few crescendo moments. It's more subtle than In Rainbows however.

i don't get this. identikit sounded way more subdued and rigid in 2012. it's loads better on the album.

in rainbows is where all their songs started to sound the same. 

!! new live track

That's amazing! The world is ready for a Headless Chickens reunion tour.

lol... that's weirdly similar to the 4 track recordings I used to do when I was 14-15.  This track specifically popped into my head... it's a little more complex in the composition, and there's more weird noise aspects, but some parts could be from the same track: https://machine1994.bandcamp.com/track/untitled-no-3

Maybe Machine can open for some Headless Chicken reunion shows.  

Archived