IGNORED

Tim Hecker - Love Streams

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4AD has a serious leakage problem...

Weird Era Cont. is the fourth album by Deerhunter released concurrently with Microcastle. After Microcastle had leaked months in advance of its planned release date, the band recorded a new album in an attempt to reward those who awaited its street release date although like Microcastle, it also leaked in advance.

so i listened to it.

beautiful stuff. i think i liked it very much because it has all the aesthetics i like in music. 10/10 tim hecker is a god

will definitely buy it

im relistening again and ill modify my rate to 9/10, cuz sometimes it sounds like rehashes of some of his tracks but with other sounds.

my opinion does matter

4AD must have thrown some beans at TH to get him to sign over from Kranky. A shame because Kranky seems like a good label and TH did well with them. He jumps to 4AD (one of the leakiest labels) and gets completely screwed 10 weeks before release date.

Also not really sure about the hate in this thread - I've never thought his albums were samey, each has a different vibe and he's developing new techniques and ideas with each LP. Really excited to hear this.

4AD must have thrown some beans at TH to get him to sign over from Kranky. A shame because Kranky seems like a good label and TH did well with them. He jumps to 4AD (one of the leakiest labels) and gets completely screwed 10 weeks before release date.

Also not really sure about the hate in this thread - I've never thought his albums were samey, each has a different vibe and he's developing new techniques and ideas with each LP. Really excited to hear this.

thats a good question maybe he wanted a modern & bigger label with real marketing (kranky doesnt seem to have one).

Also i wouldnt take the hate towards T. Hecker serious, its completly irrational.

thats a good question maybe he wanted a modern & bigger label with real marketing (kranky doesnt seem to have one).

Also i wouldnt take the hate towards T. Hecker serious, its completly irrational.

I can understand him wanting to be with a bigger label and all the things that would provide. But I also thought the way that his career had organically grown with Kranky supporting him would make him realise that that itself wasn't fluke, or necessarily held back.

To me, Kranky are the masters of getting 'leftfield' music into the mainstream - I think the lack of marketing and other guff helps that. Stars of the Lid, Labradford, Godspeed, Benoit Pioulard, Low - almost to a tee these are the artists I think of as genuine indie and leftfield artists who are in the mainstream consciousness. Surely that's where Hecker is/wants to be.

4AD just felt like a really strange choice for him. They have pulling power and some good artists on their roster, but they also have artists who have stalled and stagnated, and seeing as TH is probably my most listened to artist over the last 5 years, I'd be really upset if this leak, and the implications for this album, would cause his productivity and music to be affected.

Just because there's a leak doesn't mean you HAVE to listen to it...

Like Hecker's stuff, Mirage is one of my favourite pieces of music and look forward to this. That cover will look shit on vinyl though I'm sure.

That cover will look shit on vinyl though I'm sure.

That cover looks like shit, period... Come to think about it maybe it'll even look better on vinyl, what with the matching sleeves, maybe a gatefold, it'll be a nice cohesive package hopefully. Or maybe it'll still look like shit I don't know

Guest bitroast

it needs a big black sticker in the top left corner saying TIM HECKERS new album LOVE STREAMS on it. it looks like a photo randomly picked from someones iphone photo roll.

Whoa, why is Hecker getting so much hate in this thread? I mean I personally couldn't get into Virgins as much as the rest of his work, but it wasn't terrible either and the rest of his material has been great. This concept seems interesting, I'm curious to hear it.

LOL

Edit: thought that title looked familiar http://www.discogs.com/Jefre-Cantu-Ledesma-Love-Is-A-Stream/master/284676

Great album that

Yeah, I'm grateful to Mr Hecker for reminding me this album exists.

I listened to the new one last night.

*grudgingly admits it was ok*

i think hecker gets hate because people who "know ambient" always go on and on about him as "one of those artists" but in reality he's a journeyman in the realm of ambient and a dingleberry in the larger sphere of electronic music. kinda like fly lo

Guest transmisiones ferox

is it was announced so early because of the leak?

so, you take the leak opportunity to listen to the exclusive release two months prior...

you can preorder it now also,

this feels like on pair with Virgins to me, plenty of blissful moments, some are very intense

I like this.

Sometimes it's best for artists to take a breather from pushing the envelope and just hone their craft. Remember progress for progress' sake can lead to suffering, fear and anger. Never forget Campfag Fuckface.

I can understand him wanting to be with a bigger label and all the things that would provide. But I also thought the way that his career had organically grown with Kranky supporting him would make him realise that that itself wasn't fluke, or necessarily held back.

To me, Kranky are the masters of getting 'leftfield' music into the mainstream - I think the lack of marketing and other guff helps that. Stars of the Lid, Labradford, Godspeed, Benoit Pioulard, Low - almost to a tee these are the artists I think of as genuine indie and leftfield artists who are in the mainstream consciousness. Surely that's where Hecker is/wants to be.

4AD just felt like a really strange choice for him. They have pulling power and some good artists on their roster, but they also have artists who have stalled and stagnated, and seeing as TH is probably my most listened to artist over the last 5 years, I'd be really upset if this leak, and the implications for this album, would cause his productivity and music to be affected.

it's all about distro and sales

same reason Actress and Zomby jumped from Werk and Hyperdub to 4AD, same reason Machinedrum and other Falty DL went to Ninja Tune

Hecker admits to thinking about ideas like “liturgical aesthestics after Yeezus” and the “transcendental voice in the age of auto-tune,” during its creation.

Plenty of underground guys have been doing this making auto-tune / R&B avant-garde angle for a couple years now - really glitched out cut-up but melodic stuff

it's all about distro and sales

same reason Actress and Zomby jumped from Werk and Hyperdub to 4AD, same reason Machinedrum and other Falty DL went to Ninja Tune

but like... it's all red eye distro....

Archived