IGNORED

Tim Hecker - Love Streams

Since this new album I've gone back and listened to Virgins closer and more often than when it came out. And fuck me, that album is unbelievable. Its like Harmony in Ultraviolet had a baby with the acoustic breadth and sense of space from Ravedeath. The autechre effect is kicking in here and his previous album just clicked is now my favorite thing he's ever done.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got round to giving this a listen, I'm really liking it.

• 2 weeks later...

has lovesliescrushing been mentioned yet? I'll take any one of their records over Tim Heckerdecker any day.

great rec. love those guys.

i haven't heard the Tim Hecker album, but that album art is fugly.

• 1 month later...

yeah this is a weird one. my opinion on the music aside (don't care for it) i find the whole lovesliescrushing element hard to ignore. for one thing, i think it's kind of obvious that whether deliberately or not tim hecker has been following in their footsteps which in and of itself is not necessarily important. but when i consider the fact that in 2010 cantu-ledesma (who's work has often been quite along the same lines as hecker) put out a record called "love is a stream" which he said was an homage to lovesliescrushing, and when i consider that hecker's album art to some extent resembles the art for lovesliescrushing's "voirshn" the whole project seems...weird. i'm not saying "omg this is a ripoff" or anything, just an uncomfortable set of coincidences i suppose.

Just bought it today.One of the best album ive ever listened to.It really hit my sweet spot.Pure magic.Unbelievable feels.Powerful and almost mystical in its intensity!

Immense album! And instantly on first listen!

Only albums that had a effect as strong on me on first listen that i can remember were Tool ,Lateralus when 16 years old,a recording of Gesualdo madrigals ,The Tuss Rushup Edge , some Beethoven Sonatas and Mozart Requiem.

Genius stuff!

This is a fucking amazing album. Screw anyone hating. This is beautiful. So fucking detailed, so intricate, so organic but also electronic. It has obvious motifs from old albums mixed with subtle ones and it's fucking beautiful.

This X100

I truly feel sorry for you guys who dont get this!

This is AMAZING stuff! Intense as music can get!

Very deep feels!

I can feel the Josquin desPrez influence here,this mysterious feel that i get from renaissance music,and almost only from that music is definitively here!

This is a tour de force album!

yeah this is a weird one. my opinion on the music aside (don't care for it) i find the whole lovesliescrushing element hard to ignore. for one thing, i think it's kind of obvious that whether deliberately or not tim hecker has been following in their footsteps which in and of itself is not necessarily important. but when i consider the fact that in 2010 cantu-ledesma (who's work has often been quite along the same lines as hecker) put out a record called "love is a stream" which he said was an homage to lovesliescrushing, and when i consider that hecker's album art to some extent resembles the art for lovesliescrushing's "voirshn" the whole project seems...weird. i'm not saying "omg this is a ripoff" or anything, just an uncomfortable set of coincidences i suppose.

i honestly don't see the similarity. which album of theirs sounds like tim hecker? i tried listening to bloweyelashwish (flol name) and it just sounded like slowdive with some noise on top of it. if there's a precedent for tim it's fennesz or oval or any of the glitch artists from the late 90s/early 2000s, though hecker was already doing stuff at that point. feel like you honed in on some imagined similarity here, kind of like when awepittance was comparing him to zoviet france (a truly wtf comparison). if anything, loveliescrushing seem to have aped the entire dream pop/thames valley early 90s shoegaze thing in the most generic way possible then combined that sound with pleasant yet tedious noise. not getting this post at all. is this just a case of "my obscure fave band actually influenced your moderately successful fave artist"?

ps, this album sucks. hecker peaked with harmony in ultraviolet.

Guest bitroast

i was pretty into tim hecker up until i saw him live and wanted to kill myself out of boredom. still though, always enjoyed the albums and plan on checking this out. but ... the live show left such a sour taste in my mouth im happy to not bother :^) !!!

... is this just a case of "my obscure fave band actually influenced your moderately successful fave artist"?
Yup.

i honestly don't see the similarity. which album of theirs sounds like tim hecker? i tried listening to bloweyelashwish (flol name) and it just sounded like slowdive with some noise on top of it. if there's a precedent for tim it's fennesz or oval or any of the glitch artists from the late 90s/early 2000s, though hecker was already doing stuff at that point. feel like you honed in on some imagined similarity here, kind of like when awepittance was comparing him to zoviet france (a truly wtf comparison). if anything, loveliescrushing seem to have aped the entire dream pop/thames valley early 90s shoegaze thing in the most generic way possible then combined that sound with pleasant yet tedious noise. not getting this post at all. is this just a case of "my obscure fave band actually influenced your moderately successful fave artist"?

look here hotshot. here's what's going to happen. i'm going to send you a personal message, or "PM." please open it. inside you will see an address. go there. go alone (don't worry my mom will be home, we will not be unsupervised). please bring beats by dre headphones. we will go into my basement (yeah, i know, i do have a sick cd collection) where we will listen to the complete catalogs of lovesliescushing, zoviet france, and jefre-cantu ladesma. once completed here's how it's gonna go: obviously, you'll realize i am right and you'll feel like a jackass trying to look like a cool guy on Internet at my expense (wtf did i ever do to you?). additionally, you'll feel bad for throwing awepittance under the bus, a defenseless truther with a hot sister who just released the final installment in his trilogy of films about Billy Crystal. that's just cruel. anyway, i will forgive you and soon we will be sharing some of our favorite tunes via online. eventually we'll start sharing our own music and soon after we'll officially be in a band. our band will be called lOPatiN, after our favorite contemporary experimental artist who's seminal "r+7" was our favorite record of 2013. we will grow our fanbase by releasing a series of cassettes on obscure but expertly curated and highly regarded labels. soon our albums will see the light of day on vinyls. we will go on tour but since we are intelligent artists with educational degrees we will shun the sexualization of groupies and instead do interviews where we talk about "cultural detritus," guy debord and obnoxious music no one likes but that we think is cool in the kind of way certain white people think it's cool to like weird tribal music or tattoos even though they don't really even like it tbh. our popularity will steadily grow and soon we will be a household name among the brooklyn vanguard and even though they've never even heard of lovesliescrushing or zoviet france, they will know and of course love lOPatiN. warp will notice our releases and take special notice of our boutique label "elemental illness" and ask us to do a release for them. we agree. it's called "dissonance in infrared." it comes out and sells a bunch of copies. sam from autechre says he likes it. and just as we reach the pinnacle of our success i will turn to you and pull out my newest iPhone model where i have a screen shot of your cool guy post, show it to you and whisper "pwn" in your left ear and immediately backflip out of the window of the tour bus where i will roll down a hill at the bottom of which i have a sack of clothes and a van waiting. i will take all our band money and start a Microwave company called "New Parameters" and hobnob with james dyson and the kids. you will fade into obscurity and live a humdrum life working at barnes and noble and telling all the twenty somethings about how you used to be in a cool band and pfork gave your warp album 8.6.6 "best new music." no one will fucking care. on your death bed i will come into the hospital room playing lovesliescrushing on a bluetooth speaker and i'll make you listen to the whole thing. just before delivering your final breath i'll whisper into your right ear "i was just trying to look cool by referencing a relatively obscure band in that tim hecker thread btw." your eyes will grow big and before you can fully process this, you will pass. rest in peace brother. welcome back.

look here hotshot. here's what's going to happen. i'm going to send you a personal message, or "PM." please open it. inside you will see an address. go there. go alone (don't worry my mom will be home, we will not be unsupervised). please bring beats by dre headphones. we will go into my basement (yeah, i know, i do have a sick cd collection) where we will listen to the complete catalogs of lovesliescushing, zoviet france, and jefre-cantu ladesma. once completed here's how it's gonna go: obviously, you'll realize i am right and you'll feel like a jackass trying to look like a cool guy on Internet at my expense (wtf did i ever do to you?). additionally, you'll feel bad for throwing awepittance under the bus, a defenseless truther with a hot sister who just released the final installment in his trilogy of films about Billy Crystal. that's just cruel. anyway, i will forgive you and soon we will be sharing some of our favorite tunes via online. eventually we'll start sharing our own music and soon after we'll officially be in a band. our band will be called lOPatiN, after our favorite contemporary experimental artist who's seminal "r+7" was our favorite record of 2013. we will grow our fanbase by releasing a series of cassettes on obscure but expertly curated and highly regarded labels. soon our albums will see the light of day on vinyls. we will go on tour but since we are intelligent artists with educational degrees we will shun the sexualization of groupies and instead do interviews where we talk about "cultural detritus," guy debord and obnoxious music no one likes but that we think is cool in the kind of way certain white people think it's cool to like weird tribal music or tattoos even though they don't really even like it tbh. our popularity will steadily grow and soon we will be a household name among the brooklyn vanguard and even though they've never even heard of lovesliescrushing or zoviet france, they will know and of course love lOPatiN. warp will notice our releases and take special notice of our boutique label "elemental illness" and ask us to do a release for them. we agree. it's called "dissonance in infrared." it comes out and sells a bunch of copies. sam from autechre says he likes it. and just as we reach the pinnacle of our success i will turn to you and pull out my newest iPhone model where i have a screen shot of your cool guy post, show it to you and whisper "pwn" in your left ear and immediately backflip out of the window of the tour bus where i will roll down a hill at the bottom of which i have a sack of clothes and a van waiting. i will take all our band money and start a Microwave company called "New Parameters" and hobnob with james dyson and the kids. you will fade into obscurity and live a humdrum life working at barnes and noble and telling all the twenty somethings about how you used to be in a cool band and pfork gave your warp album 8.6.6 "best new music." no one will fucking care. on your death bed i will come into the hospital room playing lovesliescrushing on a bluetooth speaker and i'll make you listen to the whole thing. just before delivering your final breath i'll whisper into your right ear "i was just trying to look cool by referencing a relatively obscure band in that tim hecker thread btw." your eyes will grow big and before you can fully process this, you will pass. rest in peace brother. welcome back.

you hobble out of the hospital and get in your new paramaters company van. you sigh and think about the future. in ten years you will be dead of a heart attack, your terrible children and gold digging wife will inherit your beach front property and sell your company off. is this what you wanted to do? sell microwaves? you need to escape. you rummage through the glove box for your loveliescrushing best of compilation "blowawishflutterfa: 1982-1999". you remove the cd and gaze at it lovingly(crushingly). it has been signed by the band. you look closer. there is a tiny signature, away from the others. you remember getting it signed, at amoeba in 1997. you of course remember scott and melissa signing the album, but who is this third person? in your memory there was another guitarist, a tall sardonic man, possibly from canada, strangely ageless. he possessed some technology to run a guitar through a laptop that you hadn't seen before. you had thought, this will surely influence countless artists in the future. for some reason he also carried a microwave. weird. you pull out the album's booklet and flip to the credits. there is a third member listed. "founder: timothy hecker". your eyes widen. when we first met, you forgot to ask for my name. as the conversation grew more friendly, you found it exceedingly awkward to ask. eventually we were too familiar for you to ask, so for the entire length of time we were a band you never knew my name. i handled all the financial and business deals, so you never needed to know. then it occurs to you. i handled the business deals. the initial meeting with a microwave company who possessed a groundbreaking prototype that would change the industry forever. in those final years, while you looked for an escape from the endless p4k fest appearances and npr profiles, i had brought up the idea of getting into technology. i told you there was a great company out of canada, new parameters, maybe check it out, i'll set up the meeting. you went and met a strangely familiar man who, in hindsight, looked a lot like me with a beard. and when he'd introduced himself....what was his name? tom? kim? no, that's a girl's name. tim. his name was tim. you begin to scream. why did you think it was so easy to get bnm every two years and solid 8.4s our entire career? because i had already done it. the only reason you ever cared about loveliescrushing was the man with the microwave. and then you think, our microwaves have had lots of recalls. people disappear when they use them. lots of problems. a dog got in one, vanished, and ended up in news footage of the japanese tsunami, pulling people from the waves. it wasn't easy. there was a cost. i never knew if i'd be the man in the microwave, or the man playing noise music to fifteen people in a basement in williamsburg. you run from the van back into the hospital to my room. i'm not there. in the bed is a pile of broken macbook pros. you hear a ding. you walk to the microwave. inside is a vinyl copy of abbey road. you look at the cover and see the familiar photo: george, paul, ringo, john. there is a figure down the street, in the shade of a tree, next to a black car. staring at the camera. you look closer. it's me, tim hecker, and i'm smiling.

you hobble out of the hospital and get in your new paramaters company van. you sigh and think about the future. in ten years you will be dead of a heart attack, your terrible children and gold digging wife will inherit your beach front property and sell your company off. is this what you wanted to do? sell microwaves? you need to escape. you rummage through the glove box for your loveliescrushing best of compilation "blowawishflutterfa: 1982-1999". you remove the cd and gaze at it lovingly(crushingly). it has been signed by the band. you look closer. there is a tiny signature, away from the others. you remember getting it signed, at amoeba in 1997. you of course remember scott and melissa signing the album, but who is this third person? in your memory there was another guitarist, a tall sardonic man, possibly from canada, strangely ageless. he possessed some technology to run a guitar through a laptop that you hadn't seen before. you had thought, this will surely influence countless artists in the future. for some reason he also carried a microwave. weird. you pull out the album's booklet and flip to the credits. there is a third member listed. "founder: timothy hecker". your eyes widen. when we first met, you forgot to ask for my name. as the conversation grew more friendly, you found it exceedingly awkward to ask. eventually we were too familiar for you to ask, so for the entire length of time we were a band you never knew my name. i handled all the financial and business deals, so you never needed to know. then it occurs to you. i handled the business deals. the initial meeting with a microwave company who possessed a groundbreaking prototype that would change the industry forever. in those final years, while you looked for an escape from the endless p4k fest appearances and npr profiles, i had brought up the idea of getting into technology. i told you there was a great company out of canada, new parameters, maybe check it out, i'll set up the meeting. you went and met a strangely familiar man who, in hindsight, looked a lot like me with a beard. and when he'd introduced himself....what was his name? tom? kim? no, that's a girl's name. tim. his name was tim. you begin to scream. why did you think it was so easy to get bnm every two years and solid 8.4s our entire career? because i had already done it. the only reason you ever cared about loveliescrushing was the man with the microwave. and then you think, our microwaves have had lots of recalls. people disappear when they use them. lots of problems. a dog got in one, vanished, and ended up in news footage of the japanese tsunami, pulling people from the waves. it wasn't easy. there was a cost. i never knew if i'd be the man in the microwave, or the man playing noise music to fifteen people in a basement in williamsburg. you run from the van back into the hospital to my room. i'm not there. in the bed is a pile of broken macbook pros. you hear a ding. you walk to the microwave. inside is a vinyl copy of abbey road. you look at the cover and see the familiar photo: george, paul, ringo, john. there is a figure down the street, in the shade of a tree, next to a black car. staring at the camera. you look closer. it's me, tim hecker, and i'm smiling.

for years i try to find you but always you elude me. every time i open a door expecting to see you sitting there, the room is empty. every time i rip away the covers from a bed nothing is there but a clump of warm pillows. every time i see a shadow in the shower and cast aside the curtain it's only maculey culkin with some blow up clown or a michael jordan cutout. i'm down to my last $100. my fucking wife left me for the entirely subpar and pretentious ben frost. now she lives in iceland spending all my money, hanging out with brian eno. i decide to abandon my quest and die alone out in the desert. i spend all my money on liquor and a harold budd cd and retire to my camper in the middle of nowhere. as i float along in the reverb-drench arpeggios, swallowing gulp after gulp of vodka i sense your presence. i heard the soft crunch of footsteps in the sand outside. the door opens. there you stand, partially in shadow. tim hecker. timothy fucking hecker. i offer you a drink, which you refuse but after taking a seat you pull an elegant flask from your waistcoat. "the white arcades lol. you just listen to this bc adam wiltzie cites it as an influence." i take a swig. you're right of course. it's not even one of budd's better albums, nowhere as deep as "pavilion of dreams" "the room," or his eno collaborations. even the john foxx two disc release is better than this. we sit in silence for several minutes. "tim," i say, startling you from your pensive mood. you seem nervous. "tim, just one thing i have to know." "what?" "you were tim hecker....the whole time?" "yes, of course, what do you mean?" "it's just that...well...." i take a long, deep drink and stand up, swaying slightly as the blood rushes to my head for a moment. i reach up to my face with both hands. now you look somewhat frightened and i carefully begin to remove something from my face. as you stand up the chair tumbles back behind you. "what..." you mutter. what i remove is a mask. as i step into the light you see that in fact i am tim hecker. "no, it can't be...but i...." i put my hands on your shoulders like the joker from tim burton's batman when he does that "you...are my number one guy" routine. "yes, that's right. finally i find you again! to tell you what you already know." "no! no don't do this!" "yes, i, tim hecker, do readily admit that lovesliescrushing was a distinct precursor to my music and had a clear influence on me." you wrestle away from my grip, tumbling backwards onto the floor sending empty bottles rolling to the walls. you shuffle backwards on your hands until you reach the door. you reach up for the knob and as you look back for just a brief second before running out to the desert you see two figures emerge from the back room behind me. could it be? "no" you tell yourself. but as you run through the desert to your prius carefully shaded under an awning in a nearby abandoned gas station you can't help but admit that the two figures were unmistakable. scott...melissa...

Archived