IGNORED

If a film is rubbish after 20 minutes do you still watch it?

tec

I started watching The People vs OJ Simpson on F/X last night. Not a film, but I turned it off after 15 minutes because I couldn't buy Cuba Gooding Jr. as OJ. Seriously, it was just ridiculous.

I imagine Cuba puts his Oscar statuette in the middle of his kitchen table. He cooks it meals and argues with it and everything. It gives him advice on taxes and stuff which just makes him resent it even more.

I have to watch it...I try to endure all. Now if it just becomes hard for me to watch I'll try to take a break and rewatch it later. Its a challenge for me because I still have like 450 DVD on my netflix queue. Sometimes I'll move shit around and get a movie I'm excited about however if there were movies I added and recommended to me years ago and it arrived I'll pop it in without reading what its about or why I may have added this in the first place. I like to go in blindly.

Movies in the theater I have not once walked out. I don't think I will. The only time that came "close" at all (in terms of leaving the theater) when Titanic film burnt up in the middle of the movie. They offered us new tickets for another time.

• 5 years later...
On 1/28/2016 at 1:32 PM, Silent Member said:

I'm doing it right now. Watching a shit film way beyond it's breaking point, which was maybe two minutes into it. 40 minutes and counting. Finished it. Should've stopped watching it right away.

I've finally stopped doing this. Bad movies get turned off, unless they're so bad it's good.

• Like 2

i don't watch fil-uhms very often but i do this plenty with books, if i feel like the writer is taking too much time to establish groundfloor information, repeating himself, adding irrelevant window dressing from his personal life, repeating himself etc. This might not even be a knock against the book as a source of information; I have a dece amount of stuff on my shelf that I turn to regularly to look up particular info, but I've never read them all the way through in a linear fashion

I try to usually.  I didn't like Barry Lyndon very much at all on my first viewing, but now it's one of my all-time favorites.  A lot of Kurosawa movies are like that too.  That said, there are some movies that I just can't bring myself to endure.  Gangs of New York and Breathless are two notable examples.

3 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

i don't watch fil-uhms very often but i do this plenty with books, if i feel like the writer is taking too much time to establish groundfloor information, repeating himself, adding irrelevant window dressing from his personal life, repeating himself etc. This might not even be a knock against the book as a source of information; I have a dece amount of stuff on my shelf that I turn to regularly to look up particular info, but I've never read them all the way through in a linear fashion

I recommend movies, they're pretty cool