IGNORED

Meat Beat Manifesto - Subliminal Sandwich

dr lopez

Long Periods Of Time

and

The Utterer

love those tracks so much......Subliminal Sandwich is fantastic......MBM should be heard now and not later......later may never happen

literally every track is a killer... SERIOUSLY. Utterer. Amazing. Electric People. Mind-Bending. Assassinator. DUBBY. Lucid Dream. You can experience anything you ever dreamed of.

NOBODY ASKED HIM ABOUT HIS HAIR

I wouldn't say they're all -killer- but they're all at least good, and, yes, all the ones you mentioned are killer.

It's dense, reveals new details on every listen (even 20 years later), full of tons of juiciness of all varieties (chords, bass, beats, vocals, weird obscure samples and instruments, and general cold war paranoia) and is as cohesive as FUCK which to pull off in a 2 disc set is unheard of.

It's not alien, exactly, but it was definitely brought to our world from a parallel universe.

Edited by sweepstakes

Got up to track 22 Stereophrenic. Pretty darn heavy isn't it? Definitely not light and fluffy. Which is perfectly fine by me. Really liked the vocal elements (whether sung or sampled). A lot to take in on first listen but I really enjoyed it. A lot.

Excellent thread. I wish I could start drunken threads as cool as this :wink:

Sterophrenic is my favorite track on the album. I could write on and on about this genius work of music!! Take the length and booming, repetitive abstract rhythms of basic channel, the nostalgic and creepy analog synths of geogaddi, and the mid-century drug paranoia samples of orblivion and you have stereophrenic..... except that it pre-dates most all of that!! lol.

the world is your kaleidoscope....

Does anyone know what the voice tube thing is Jack sings into to create those chorus melodies? I've seen him use it on stage several times.

Haven't seen/heard the track you're mentioning but from the wording I'm guessing a Talkbox ?

Does anyone know what the voice tube thing is Jack sings into to create those chorus melodies? I've seen him use it on stage several times.

Haven't seen/heard the track you're mentioning but from the wording I'm guessing a Talkbox ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Nl_k-y9HU

I was wondering if it was the old Frampton talk box, then he's running it thru something, the vocal effect is prevalent on several MBM tracks, most notably Prime Audio Dub, but I can't find a stream of that track for the life of me online. Great remix though.

I should re-visit Sub Sammich, always loved MBM, they were kinda my gateway into IDM.

I did re-visit RUOK? again lately, always felt that one was underrated in the whole discography there's some fantastic stuff going on on that album.

Edited by ghOsty

I think its a vocoder. He's got a big vintage modular.

He does use a vocoder but that's usually a mic right? This was a tube in his mouth so probly talk box. I wish he still did more vocal tracks.

Had the Test EP on earlier, Sublim is a fantastic album but not heard it for yonks, cheers Lopez for reminding me about it and cheers Dangers you scrawny bald genius

• 2 weeks later...

the first half of RUOK is incredible... after intermission it kind of falls flat for me which is sad cause the flow and build from yuri- spinning round - horns of jericho - what does it all mean is just flawless.

• 3 weeks later...

Planning on buying this on cd off discogs asap. The first navigation was a pretty dense affair. I need it locked and loaded on flac onto my walkman. Needs a few plays I wager.

indeed.

on the liner notes: "Play twice before listening"

funny how you remember these things... the summer after my freshman year at college I was mowing a lawn and threw this on. found it somewhat unremarkable but it... just kept getting in my head for days after... hasn't left since.