IGNORED

What happened to the KLF?

fumi

Currently working my way though this ace book http://www.amazon.co.uk/KLF-Chaos-Burned-Million-Pounds/dp/1780226551/ . Seemed like post their 'million pound burning project' they made a contract which specified KLF wouldn't exist for the next 20-and a bit (can't remember the exact amount) years - The contract I think expires in the next one or two years so there is a chance they might come back from the 'dead' !

Jim Cauty had an art installation at Banksy's Dismaland last year, and seems to do the occasional remix/art project to amuse himself. Bill Drummond was doing speaking engagements in 2015 if I remember correctly.

they made a contract which specified KLF wouldn't exist for the next 20-and a bit (can't remember the exact amount) years

23 probably, that number crops up in Illuminatus shitloads, and they (Drummond anyway) was obsessed with those books.

Cauty was active with the Orb and then Transit Kings since KLF

Nothing to do with the burning a million quid thing - that gap is just how long they would go without talking about why they did it (their idea being that once the 23 years had past they might know why themselves!)

At the end of their infamous Brit Awards performance with Extreme Noise Terror they announced their retirement from the music industry and deleted the entire KLF Communications catalogue a month or two later.

After that they formed an arts group called the K Foundation (part of which involved the burning of said million quid, as well as presenting an award to the worst artist of the year). Musically they did a (not very good) single as 2K called Fuck the Millennium, and Cauty did a one off novelty single called I Wanna 1-2-1 With You based around the Nokia ringtone that has dated incredibly badly. He also worked with Alex Patterson as Transit Kings and in finishing off their Space record (which still hasn't been released despite being played on the radio a couple of years back)

They both work in the arts now, Cauty has done all sorts including creating a sonic weapon and the Blacksmoke Organisation. Drummond's output is typically bonkers, ranging from a series of brilliant books to baking cakes and presenting them to strangers, making soup for anyone who lives on a certain line cutting through the UK, his The17 choir which is never recorded and has various lineups, street sweeping, the MyDeath website and countless more things.

Drummond's website is Penkiln Burn (also his publishing company) and Jimmy's is here. Really worth a look around them, they're both brilliantly eccentric and inspiring people.

I wish they were talked about more as true independent artists and pioneers but I understand the reality of why they aren't. They burned a million quid in 1994. Less than 20 years later already successful artists like Amanda Palmer were crowd-sourcing over a million dollars to make an album.

Probably good guys to have a beer with and I think we could do with them or someone like them back

this clip is from a recent bbc documentry, there was another clip later in the film with just Bill doing a short sketch which was pretty cool but its not up on youtube

• 11 months later...

they made a contract which specified KLF wouldn't exist for the next 20-and a bit (can't remember the exact amount) years - The contract I think expires in the next one or two years so there is a chance they might come back from the 'dead' !

23 probably, that number crops up in Illuminatus shitloads, and they (Drummond anyway) was obsessed with those books.

Cauty was active with the Orb and then Transit Kings since KLF

How fuckin' spot on were we ?!

flol I was literally just going to make a "will we hear from KLF this year?" thread when I read the news. Guardian says they've been absent 25 years though not 23?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived