IGNORED

Homeless + Fucked up on drugs + in love

Cryptowen

@dpek, clevreuse, stephenG - thanks guys! i've got a few new tracks made this month. got some ideas in my head for another half-hour long prog-ambient track for a live set early next month...

@ganus - thank you, i dig this comment! appreciate you saying this stuff a lot...i definitely feel like my music reflects my life circumstance. not in some kinda conscious auteur way, but when i listen to anything i've made i can very plainly hear how it's all just an audio reflection of my daily interactions + inner world (good parts & bad. like a lot of stuff that would annoy me in a track would be reflective of things i didn't like in my persona)

so yeah can totally see where you're coming from. trax iii + iv were made together during a long period of isolation, repeating the same routine day after day with nothing but my imagination for inspiration. my life was a comfortable pattern, but there was this constant underlying desire to break out & see the world.

the 2015 ambient albums were when i was sleeping in parks & behind restaurants, making a very concentrated effort to let go of anything that felt like a conscious sense of identity or ego. wrt to music this meant working very quickly, not putting any directed effort, planning, or censorship into it - most of the sounds on mount shasta originated from unplanned audio glitches i'd hone in on while fiddling around on my computer.

and like i guess the new album is about the falling apart of that dream?? specifically the "i'm just going to live on mount royal & have no money & not worry about anything ever again" dream. because most of these tracks were made directly in the wake of stressful irl situations where i'd come up to the limits of what initially felt like total freedom. the feeling of failure etc etc. but also acknowledging that the reality i currently find myself in is just as complete as where i was last spring. nothing has diminished, i'm still here. All sounds are stark reality, regardless of where on some imaginary "raw expression --> contrived artifice" scale they may fall

WHOOO KNOWSSS WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDSSSS

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I can relate to that. All life choices change us as people, but there is no one "success" or correct choice. Time passes and we cannot truly stay in one moment or place, and so we are forced to keep moving. One choice could lead you to any number of other opportunities that you might otherwise miss.

There are conflicting thoughts and emotions: the grass is greener on the other side, facing dreams that are incompatible with your real life, or getting stuck in memory or remorse for missed opportunities. There can also be joy and fulfilment in most situations, it can be a matter of how you choose to react to adversity, or changes in whatever plans you may have had.

The worst thing you can be is a non-entity, disengaging yourself from your own life. Time is a constant, as is deterioration if it is not fought; if you do not keep swimming, you will drown

Hope I did not derail your topic. I just feel like there are some things in common between us, but our lives are divergent, and it reflects in our music. I dreamed of doing what you chose to do; divorcing myself from my past, cutting myself free of my ties, but I went another direction. I wish everything people posted here had backstory like this, I think that is essential when music is reflective of our lives. Some collections of journal tracks people post here I cannot quite connect to, and I think it is because they are out of context.

I wish everything people posted here had backstory

yeah yeah this is totally something i've felt//expressed on watmm at various points

with electronic music i feel there's this tendency to focus on either

A. aesthetic

B. crazy tech wizardry

C. pure composition

which are all super-neat, but imo there's a certain level of dedication required to really do something novel in those realms, which maybe not a lot of people are ready for? basically i feel like there's a lot of folks going "oh i may as well just not do music, because it'll take me years to become a true craftsman", when they could be treating synth music as a kind of modern folk expressionism - yknow just letting feelings & life experience guide the sound rather than some grand master plan

i dunno im kinda rambling but i feel like there is a point here

Archived