IGNORED

EDM - F/A-18+ STIMULATOR

Herr Jan

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So nice to finally have these tracks in FLAC. really awesome tunes above all.

I wonder if we'll actually know who the "various artists" are or if that'll remain an enigma! Either way, so far, it all sounds siiiiick  :cool:

The whole track name/artist thing on this series has been truly mystifying  With the initial releases coming out on a semi-anonymous imprint, you would have assumed the original intent was to obfuscate the authorship or to perhaps codify a larger body of work into genre-specific groupings for aesthetic reasons like Vibert or Aphex sometimes do. The idea of doing this on a series of fictional V/A comps in order to parody a certain scene/genre has been done before by the likes of Bogdan Raczynski and Psychic TV (with jungle and acid respectively). I guess the EDM series is a tribute to the kind of compilations Rephlex/Mu used to put out that featured a wide range of electronic sounds.

This compartmentalizing kinda works for most of the aliases, Black Narcissus is generally clubby Drexciyan techno, Alain Kepler is more subdued sci-fi electro, Your Mum = footwork, Co. Mendez/Jidomatix usually Tuss style syncopated basslines and breaks. Numerology Songs = meditative ambient etc etc

But there is just as much inconsistency. The Heidi Lord tracks sound nothing like her solo LP. The Rob Kidley tracks swing between hyper-edited drill and creepy drones (is he supposed to be some kind of parody of RDJ-circa 2001??)

Then by this release it seems like he's given up on the conceit totally, or decided to make it even more confusing by omitting the aliases, and having lots of similar/variant track titles to suggest they are related that way instead. It is certainly very mysterious to set up a concept and then only deliver half of it. I can completely get behind the idea of untitled/uncredited music as a way to shear the music of its context and present it completely without prejudice, but this isn't that - its something different ...and weirder. This time the Hidey/Heidi tracks actually sound like her normal work. The Octavian tracks sound like Black Narcissus. Crisp Binge was up on youtube as Jidomatix (btw love that clangy crunchy mathematical sounding FM percussion in this track) . Whats more some of these tracks were played under different titles on the Penryn Space Agency show credited solely to Jodey Kendrick. Autism has indeed intensified to the fricken max here.

Either way it sounds like he's having fun with the idea.

Or I'm putting more thought into it than he is.

Archived