IGNORED

what aphex tracks are you fixated on at the moment?

Bubba69

Lads today I found something fresh and super slick. Analord 7. Never really hit it heavily before, I liked Pitcard a lot and had casually listened to Lisbon Acid. But today I listened to them in order and took them in and by god I've had it on repeat non-stop. Pure analog magic, AFX Acid 04 is a definite kicker here, amazing drums and stylish acid, but Lisbon Acid is the real masterpiece, the consistent acid line (detuned to hell let me tell you that) + the pads is just an absolute perfect example of him getting something so coherent and emotional out of synths and drum machines that you almost forget you are listening to just pads/keys being pushed and knobs being twiddled. Hell of a 8 minute ride that track is, so good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just listening to Debase on the 26 mixes album. Damn, that is one great track.

Anyone else share the feeling about that whole album being underrated?

Yep, was fixated on the Debase track about 3 weeks ago, really great synths that come in 1 minute in, sort of RDJA styled but a whole new vibe. Defo underrated album, just flicking through it you get an insane variance of textures, moods and time periods.

This track is this weeks tune though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoQ517K252I

I've heard it probably 50 times before, but always just disregarded it as "that HAB tune with the nice 4 note progressions". However on closer inspection that line that comes in at 0:30 is a literal drug, I can't stop listening to it. Heavily detuned, it really does resonate with me because it sounds so unlike anything I've heard, being so off normal tuning and all, can't explain how it sounds so good but it really does and it has made this my favorite tune at the moment. Drums are also killer as well, there's that constant reverbed snare that drives the beat forward like no other, while still having the complex programming wrap around it in a way only RDJ could execute. 10/10

This little tune also jumped out at me yesterday, first time I had ever heard it which is suprising:

So cute, only 23 seconds but the chords and acid just carry so much emotion, really masterful, but he makes it look so easy. :aphexsign:

Been listening to a lot of Aphex lately. Found the St. Etienne and Jesus Jones remixes at my local record store for 4 bucks each. I like these mixes better than the ones on 26 remixes for cash...

Just popped in to say; Last Rushup 10 F. Like a dog with two dicks for that track at the moment. When that melody changes the the tone of things at 4.04.... lush, to borrow a phrase.

Caught up with the thread discussion while here... Interesting comments about the instant heart eyes vs slow blossom love affair with different tracks. Have often thought I just brainwash myself into liking aphex tracks with perseverance. I read something about the brain rewarding pattern recognition with a dopamine release, including when listening to music. Maybe it's all jazz (no pattern recognition dopamine for those free form jazz-katz, lolz); there's loads of pop-science like that about these days. And what about becoming bored with tracks we have rinsed too hard; dopamine rewards presumably diminish over time and the brain's hard-wiring for novelty wants something new?

What I'm asking - to the subset of watmms who are also neuroscientists - is; does the aphex twin music provide a perfect balance between chemically rewarding pattern recognition, while still providing enough complexity to to fire off dopamine for the novelty seeking part of the brain?

Sorry, I've had a drink. Basically the music is dope(amine) ;)

It depends who you're talking about. Certain sounds effect people different ways. To people who like braindance, yes, it does. Just like any other sound that person may like. Some people may get their head doped up from Taylor Swift while others get it from Merzbow.

It depends who you're talking about. Certain sounds effect people different ways. To people who like braindance, yes, it does. Just like any other sound that person may like. Some people may get their head doped up from Taylor Swift while others get it from Merzbow.

I get my head doped up by Drukqs, and I don't think it will EVER stop. Help needed! :music:

W32.Mydoom.AU@mm

damn, always really liked this track but at the same time never really dug into it, the main hook and chords are forever repeating and because of that i look at it as more of a techno song like 180db and whatnot, i've never noticed how the drums are forever changing in such an incredible subtle way! one of his best drum works right? thank you richard! xoxo

Archived