IGNORED

Shobaleader One

phudoshin

Somebody explain to me why all the press (including Warp's press) surrounding his new material/shows touted as "Shobaleader One" is saying "introducing.." and talking about it like it's a new alias?

It's as if he never released the album years ago.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but:

I believe years ago when he was starting the shoobadooby one act/alias, he had said in his interviews that the whole concept was always supposed to be delivered as a live band. The original album itself was not a band, it was only Tom. I believe when he was touring at the time he had a live drummer, but again, not a whole band.

Even check this interview from 2010, he talks about the live band concept in it alot but truth be told the album and tour at that time really didn't deliver on the concept he was envisioning. (http://thequietus.com/articles/05374-squarepusher-shobaleader-one-interview).

I guess now hes found the band capable of delivering his vision! Kind of a re-birth of the concept, I guess?

saw the Islington show yesterday and it was INSANELY good. I thought the guitarist was excellent, and the masks look so good in person. lots of weird stuff being displayed. here's what I can recall of the setlist (not in the correct order):

- the swifty

- coopers world

- don't go plastic

- iambic 5 poetry

- squarepusher theme

- e8 boogie

- megazine

- journey to reedham

- deep fried pizza

- anstromm feck

- delta-v

- encore: new track??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEWK7SK2Y50

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody explain to me why all the press (including Warp's press) surrounding his new material/shows touted as "Shobaleader One" is saying "introducing.." and talking about it like it's a new alias?

I believe years ago when he was starting the shoobadooby one act/alias, he had said in his interviews that the whole concept was always supposed to be delivered as a live band. The original album itself was not a band, it was only Tom. I believe when he was touring at the time he had a live drummer, but again, not a whole band.

Even check this interview from 2010, he talks about the live band concept in it alot but truth be told the album and tour at that time really didn't deliver on the concept he was envisioning. (http://thequietus.com/articles/05374-squarepusher-shobaleader-one-interview).

I guess now hes found the band capable of delivering his vision! Kind of a re-birth of the concept, I guess?

Yes you're right. Although during the recording of the album he had a session drummer play the tunes on a kit which triggered a 909.

Yes you're right. Although during the recording of the album he had a session drummer play the tunes on a kit which triggered a 909.

Source?

Source of the opposite:

I did use the TB303 on the Shobaleader album, the very deep bass synth comes from that, and the drums on that album were programmed in the TR909.. I unearthed the 909 and was surprised by how good the straight‑out‑of‑the‑box sounds sounded on my monitors. Their sonic muscularity reminds me of heavy metal and R&B, and those are two of the main influences that exist on the Shobaleader record.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may11/articles/sqpshr.htm

I don't see why he'd get a session drummer to trigger it either if he was doing that, he'd just do it himself.

I know there's an interview where he mentions Alex Thomas triggering 909 sounds from a drum set. cba to find it, so !

maybe that was just for the live show.

i saw the manchester show. opened with swifty. enjoyed that. got really bored after a couple more tracks. went outside for a smoke. came back in. got bored straight away. went back outside. came back in after a while. playing some newer stuff. hated it. went back outside.

Source of the opposite:

I did use the TB303 on the Shobaleader album, the very deep bass synth comes from that, and the drums on that album were programmed in the TR909.. I unearthed the 909 and was surprised by how good the straight‑out‑of‑the‑box sounds sounded on my monitors. Their sonic muscularity reminds me of heavy metal and R&B, and those are two of the main influences that exist on the Shobaleader record.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may11/articles/sqpshr.htm

hardly opposite, just halfway there. I'll do my best to dig it up. It was great interview.

• 2 months later...
Guest bitroast

damn this is rad. 

would still kill to see em .. or get a live recording / shobaleader one plays squarepusher live!!! style recorded album 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

k so theres this 2nd scene in the music store

guess what

21ak4s3.jpg

now ultravisitoers are gloom rock

still figuring if thats only cds they had so they stick it in all genres or its a lol on sparecusher

you heard that tom?

a gloom rock

you son of a hound

wtf is gloom rock? lol

i know, right.

heres example from internets:

A band that is still rock and roll but sounds haunting, dark, cryptic, melancholy.
you know of any cool 'gloom rock' bands? 

ya! try 'Sqaurepushers' 'She Wants My Red Hot Car' or 'Tundra'

Guest bitroast

wtf is gloom rock? lol

i know, right.

heres example from internets:

A band that is still rock and roll but sounds haunting, dark, cryptic, melancholy.
you know of any cool 'gloom rock' bands? 

ya! try 'Sqaurepushers' 'She Wants My Red Hot Car' or 'Tundra'

you realise they are screenshots from a comedy movie ?

the fact the same cd section has been used for 2 different genre sections just imples that they were more interested in the genre names being read by the audience. so there being a 'gloomrock' and 'sadcore' genre tags in a cd section is likely the only information the movie makers were wanting to convey to the audience. 

don't be a nerd and over analyse it dood.

Archived