IGNORED

Gravitational Waves

d-a-m-o

i've seen places that said the big bang wasn't really a case of everything exploding outward from a tiny point, that it was more like an expansion of an already large area/mass. someone gave that as the reason for why you can see stuff from the big bang, because the size of the stuff that exploded was so big itself before the explosion that even at the speed of light, light from one side of that stuff could still take this long to reach us. ok, but i still keep seeing other science articles describing the big bang as an explosion where everything came out of a tiny space. wtf which is it.

I like to think that if the universe began as a singularity, then that singularity would be infinitely small and infinitely large at the same time kind of, because it would be all of space, but all of space would be just that one thing, and with no point of reference from any other thing the concept of size becomes irrelevant.

Then when the universe begins, I think of it as not exploding outward from one point, but as division forming within the singularity and space starting to exist, which lets matter differentiate from other matter and gives meaning to shape and size as relative things. And then that space grows and grows, pushed by whatever force is still making the universe expand.

This might be wrong but it makes more sense to me. If you assume the universe is infinitely large then I don't see how it could ever have had a smaller "size", even at its very beginning.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if the black holes were 1.3 billion light years away does that mean that the waves travel faster than light? And still doesn't violate Einstein's general relativity since it's not a particle?

i don't think so...as far as i understand it, gravity propagates at the speed of light. the black holes collided a billion or whatever years ago and we are just witnessing it now.

If gravity propagated at the speed of light, the universe wouldn't work.

This stuff is about as 'real' as the higgs boson.

So if the black holes were 1.3 billion light years away does that mean that the waves travel faster than light? And still doesn't violate Einstein's general relativity since it's not a particle?

i don't think so...as far as i understand it, gravity propagates at the speed of light. the black holes collided a billion or whatever years ago and we are just witnessing it now.

gravity does indeed propagate at the speed of light...google "speed of gravity" for more info. why would this mean the universe wouldn't work?

Mega cummies over this, amazing that this shit was predicted so long ago and we've only now had the tech to detect them. Also kinda neat how the experimental setup is actually not that different to the Ether experiments in the 1880s

i think it's perfectly funny to say "we've found this and that and such and so" using limited human tools & knowledge.

it's all based on a unilinear conception, while every dunce knows that our current human perception (that is to say 3.5D) does not gravitate towards a singular understanding.

TIme? baha, time is everywhere & nowhere at once.

Mass? bahah, mass is based on gravity

Big Bang? bahahahahaha. there is no *one point of origin*. the universe was always there, and will always be there. we, with our puny brains and bodies were simply brought into this existence by something bigger than us. we will not find it, and the bigger our knowledge of the concept of the beginning of the universe will become, the more we have to acknowledge that we will never know the origin of the universe. we are passive bystanders in the process of creation. we can only bask in the light that creation is.

it is the same as the origin of yourself. you will never know your conception.

/end pseudoscience rant

i just hope we will become more humble, but im afraid we'll just become more arrogant since.. god.. we are so close to finding the answer! finally science can prove the beginning of the universe! scientists will be blinded by their arrogance & will bring a whole lot of havoc and despair to the rest of humans, of that i am sure.

gravity does indeed propagate at the speed of light...google "speed of gravity" for more info. why would this mean the universe wouldn't work?

Not to mention, did they not observe the higgs boson back 2012? =/

i think it's perfectly funny to say "we've found this and that and such and so" using limited human tools & knowledge.

it's all based on a unilinear conception, while every dunce knows that our current human perception (that is to say 3.5D) does not gravitate towards a singular understanding.

TIme? baha, time is everywhere & nowhere at once.

Mass? bahah, mass is based on gravity

Big Bang? bahahahahaha. there is no *one point of origin*. the universe was always there, and will always be there. we, with our puny brains and bodies were simply brought into this existence by something bigger than us. we will not find it, and the bigger our knowledge of the concept of the beginning of the universe will become, the more we have to acknowledge that we will never know the origin of the universe. we are passive bystanders in the process of creation. we can only bask in the light that creation is.

it is the same as the origin of yourself. you will never know your conception.

/end pseudoscience rant

i just hope we will become more humble, but im afraid we'll just become more arrogant since.. god.. we are so close to finding the answer! finally science can prove the beginning of the universe! scientists will be blinded by their arrogance & will bring a whole lot of havoc and despair to the rest of humans, of that i am sure.

I fear you've just doomed us all to 4 pages of LimpyLoo posts

-sie- it just nuked my post when I went to grab a link in another tab, and I'm not writing that again, sorry. In brief check out this website, http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/

And to stephen, they didn't 'observe' that the higgs was there. They extrapolated from the data what they wanted to see, big science is as fraudulent as our banking system.

Anyway, I don't want people angry at me anymore than they already are, for being a maverick, or pariah or contrarian, or kook, however you perceive it, so you can have your thread back.

bleSs ... [-;

science journalism is all too busy with saying 'we've found this and that", while the null-hypothesis is about proving that, by all reasonable measurements, you have proven the null-hypothesis to be untrue. because of the twisted logic of people wanting to understand the world (or basically being dumb fucks), being not wrong means you're right, which isn't true. it's just about saying that you're not right.

whatever any1 says, reading around quantum mechanics is fuckin great fun, the sheer lunacy of it all, particles popping in & out of existence etc etc and as a side note (but not grading it by importance) the sheer headfuck of inflation et al

and no-one posted any Rust Cohle or Reggie muthafuckin Ledoux (sp?) "time is a flat circle" gifs

shame on you all

That was my other thought. That they chose a place in space and merely timed the disturbance.

However, as far as I understand Planck time at the point of the big bang, the universe itself was expanding much much faster than the speed of light (and continues to do so exponentially). So what is doing it? The Higgs field explains how things in our universe can move around since it acts as a medium and gives mass to particles, but what is propelling it? I would assume it's gravity. Also, since gravity isn't a particle and is merely a part of the "field" that everything else resides in, it wouldn't have to adhere to the same laws.

But I'm clearly out of my depth, so :cerious:

I wonder if there are any professional astronomers/physicists on watmm that could chime in about this.

Someone on my FB feed just said "looks like Einsteins [sic] theory of relativity won't be just a theory for much longer!"

I thought it might be an instance of Poe's Law, but looked at some of her previous posts and decided no, not Poe's Law

That was my other thought. That they chose a place in space and merely timed the disturbance.

However, as far as I understand Planck time at the point of the big bang, the universe itself was expanding much much faster than the speed of light (and continues to do so exponentially). So what is doing it? The Higgs field explains how things in our universe can move around since it acts as a medium and gives mass to particles, but what is propelling it? I would assume it's gravity. Also, since gravity isn't a particle and is merely a part of the "field" that everything else resides in, it wouldn't have to adhere to the same laws.

But I'm clearly out of my depth, so :cerious:

I wonder if there are any professional astronomers/physicists on watmm that could chime in about this.

F=ma

Can you dumb it down just a tiny bit? Let me see if I'm getting this...

So they've finally found proof that two black holes collided billions of years ago and that has caused gravitational waves to burst in all directions and they've just reached us. So now they're able, via the gravitational waves, to look way further back in time than before, right?

How on earth is that possible? That blows my mind.

Can you dumb it down just a tiny bit? Let me see if I'm getting this...

So they've finally found proof that two black holes collided billions of years ago and that has caused gravitational waves to burst in all directions and they've just reached us. So now they're able, via the gravitational waves, to look way further back in time than before, right?

How on earth is that possible? That blows my mind.

The tech we presently have is only good enough to detect gravitational waves from extremely powerful events. The black hole merger thing just so happens to be the first event that we have been able to detect.

The looking further back in time bit - that's because (IIRC?) the very early universe is meant to have been opaque to electromagnetic radiation (gamma rays thru light down to radio waves - i.e. photons of various wavelengths). The Cosmic Microwave Background originates not from the Big Bang but the point when the universe cooled down enough to become transparent to photons. However, the universe should have been transparent to gravitational waves right back to its very origin - so if we can refine the technology we currently have, then we can "look" at things that happened earlier in the universe's history than is currently possible.

Remember that when observing the universe, the more distant an object is, the earlier back in time you are seeing it. So basically with gravitational waves we might be able to look at shit that's even further away than (and therefore also older than) the furthest shit we could possibly see with visible light.

or something

PS ignore delet's ramblings

Archived