IGNORED

Soundcloud rumours

Psychotronic

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of sucks that they can't develop a more sustainable business model. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is going to be a bit of a void for scrolling feed self published music now. At least until the next thing comes along.

Kind of sucks that they can't develop a more sustainable business model.

I dunno what will happen, but it could be that they are forced to dive down deep into the sellout lake and things will get much shitter.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is going to be a bit of a void for scrolling feed self published music now. At least until the next thing comes along.

There are others, but i dunno how good they are.

I've become super reliant in the last 2-3 years for finding fun/un-serious electronic music on Soundcloud...I'd be mighty depressed if Soundcloud fizzled out. :sad:

Agreed. There are so many incredible musicians on Soundcloud and what's amazing about it is that they've created such an easy to use, fun platform and community for millions - a lot of people would be incredibly sad I think...

Might consider getting a Pro account after hearing this news - I really hope there's a big Kickstarter or something too to keep them going a little longer :c

$44 million kickstarter

Well that explains why Afx had trouble with his tracks. Lots of traffic to the profile without any monetary payback besides his subscription.

It's unfortunate that a potential business model doesn't exist which would allow them to make more money, and not agitate people listening to SC. Or I'm not the genius who can think of one.

I think SC is going to have to implement Ads in some way. Also maybe visual ads. I wouldn't really mind if it meant the website won't go down (there's also the fact that I've kinda set up camp on the website :) ). I really don't see the problem with ads. Maybe implement a 1 or 2 dollar sub just to get rid of ads.

They could also come out with a Soundcloud player that loads on your computer (do they already have this?) which non-intrusive visual ads, in similar locations spotify has them.

They also need to explain to people that they're losing a ton of money so us consumers understand. I remember people getting upset a while back when they announced that ads would become a thing. Fortunatly for IDM consumers, that's mostly for the artists getting millions of plays... you know, like all the non-idm artists :3

what are the best alternatives right now?

besides bandcamp as mentioned, there's https://hearthis.at which looks like a soundcloud clone, but I haven't spend much time with it, figuring out their model/upload limitations etc. You could also upload to youtube?

what are the best alternatives right now?

besides bandcamp as mentioned, there's https://hearthis.at which looks like a soundcloud clone, but I haven't spend much time with it, figuring out their model/upload limitations etc. You could also upload to youtube?

thanks definitely looks promising but pretty empty at the mo, will probably end up uploading stuff to youtube.

i'd be ok with a few ads if it kept the thing afloat. i can't imagine being able to find so many obscure artists any other way than S

this, i've found so many good artists and friends on there that you'd never find otherwise. it pisses me off that the community aspect is disappearing from music in general..

Itll be a shame, I still miss the old soundcloud for some reason , its slowly gone downhill for a while but itll suck once its gone.. Ive had a few mates stop using it of late, its really a great way for lesser known producers to be heard and I imagine its been great for Labels to find new artists.

I owe a hell of a lot to SC, got my first records signed all through communication over SC, built myself a whole network from it too. Then once this new version came around I got less involved with the whole site but its still a great way to send music to mates and stick up demos for feedback.. I do co-own a pro account with some mates for mixes, its handy as

As easy as it is to complain about it, there isnt another site that for me, covers the same ground easily and in SCs defence, its become pretty standard for a lot of people

Soundcloud needs to borrow some ideas from bandcamp, like being able to purchase songs, with the cash going directly to the artist. As well as improving its streaming quality. Then we'll be talking about something thats worth being missed. Only problem is, any streaming site that becomes successful is gonna have to contend with the big labels and play by their rules.

I can see youtube reaping the rewards of a soundcloud implosion. If they improved their related searches function and tailored certain aspects of the site towards Independent music streaming. I guess they're too huge to really care.

the thing about SC is people use it as their main music consumption source, and lots of artists upload tracks for free, just hoping they get traction, and many do. i know a few people who have completely made their career on it and in a few months gone from less than 100 followers to releasing a 12" and getting featured on (BR/xlr8r/dummy/fact etc.). the Russia, Australia, and Canada scenes are indebted to SC for getting off the ground.

that said, nothing lasts forever. you can die from financial losses, or you can die from TOO MUCH success, which would cause the fragile artists to flee

the never ending pursuit of authenticity......

Archived