IGNORED

Soundcloud rumours

Psychotronic

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well that's anticlimactic.

could have been cathartic instead.

Ha yes, I love a good slate clean every now and then.

*is reminded of moving across the country several times only to end up regretting it*

Hm maybe not.

I would be sad to lose my free pro account, so I'm sort of glad they're pulling through. I post so rarely these days though... :/

And I guess before anyone asks, no, I have no idea what's going on with them from my contacts. I would not be surprised if most if the community peeps I knew got sacked.

not really sure what kind of deal was made but I have a hard time that one musician can somehow support a web service/company of this size for any serious amount of time. If this was Dr. Dre or someone with a bazillion dollars then I might take it more seriously. 

SC has been going nowhere since the start, isn't that part of the whole problem? I will not miss their player and constant "log in"-nagging.

Bandcamp ftw!

Constant logging in?

By the way, their app player is so good!

SC has been going nowhere since the start, isn't that part of the whole problem? I will not miss their player and constant "log in"-nagging.

Bandcamp ftw!

Constant logging in?

If someone has enabled "Download" and you press that button you now need to "sign in", either via google or via your soundcloud profile. Since I got neither it now just stops there. This change happened maybe a year ago. I don't really feel the need of yet another place to log in to so I guess there's no SC wav downloads for me anymore. 

I prefered when folks just put up a download-link to their music, now it's just the obnoxious SC-player everywhere. I got a player in my computer, I don't need a social player in my browser. 

Bandcamp ftw!

Constant logging in?

If someone has enabled "Download" and you press that button you now need to "sign in", either via google or via your soundcloud profile. Since I got neither it now just stops there. This change happened maybe a year ago. I don't really feel the need of yet another place to log in to so I guess there's no SC wav downloads for me anymore. 

I prefered when folks just put up a download-link to their music, now it's just the obnoxious SC-player everywhere. I got a player in my computer, I don't need a social player in my browser. 

youtube-dl supports SoundCloud - https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html

Bandcamp ftw!

Constant logging in?

youtube-dl supports SoundCloud - https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html

Yeah, for just a simple download there are firefox add ons that work well too. 128 Kbps mp3, only though.

• 3 weeks later...

SoundCloud has just closed the necessary funding round to keep the struggling music service afloat. CEO Alex Ljung will step aside though remain chairman as former Vimeo CEO Kerry Trainor replaces him. Mike Weissman will become COO as SoundCloud co-founder and CTO Eric Wahlforss stays as chief product officer. New York investment bank Raine Group and Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund Temasek have stepped in to lead the new Series F funding round of $169.5 million.

Sounds like Silicon Valley Season 3.

Kind of seems like Soundcloud is stuck trying to grow in scale or whatever the fuck the recent startup trend is. I bet they could break even right now if they just stuck to collecting subscriptions from pro users and focusing on just keeping the thing working & pay the hosting costs. I think they just fired half their staff and the headcount is still 300 or something, which is actually huge for a company with essentially only one software product.

Archived