IGNORED

Soundcloud rumours

Psychotronic

Kind of seems like Soundcloud is stuck trying to grow in scale or whatever the fuck the recent startup trend is. I bet they could break even right now if they just stuck to collecting subscriptions from pro users and focusing on just keeping the thing working & pay the hosting costs. I think they just fired half their staff and the headcount is still 300 or something, which is actually huge for a company with essentially only one software product.

For what do they need 300 people?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see a lot of people on the tech/dev side.  I'm not sure how big their customer service team is, but considering in 2013 they had 60 million registered users, you could easily assign 100 to customer service no problem, especially when you consider they officially support 4 languages.  Then the finance team, marketing (lol) etc etc.  Yes it's only one product, but it's a fairly extensively used one.

Yeah the data storage would need a hell of a lot of people/space. And thus you'd then need all the office people to manage the logistics of the building space as well as the IT bods themselves.

No, they don't need that many people. Most tech companies employ far too many very shitty programmers, which is why most computer software is very shitty. Customer service might require a reasonable number of people I guess, depends on how buggy the code is, but they have a pretty straight forward product, so just having a large number of users shouldn't require 100s of staff.

Archived