IGNORED

0F.digital new media thread

modey

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

more. pls polish and release those jams you're putting up on SC. I am collecting all the 0F shit.

More is coming.. I've got a release planned of nanoloop mono + volca kick tech minimalism that ties in with my square sounds set. I think it'll be strictly physical though; there will be a reason for this, but I won't go into detail yet since I haven't quite figured it out yet. Anyway, it'll probably contain some version of this track:

https://soundcloud.com/0f-digital/raptorseg2-tk1

So, I got the STTC release on Friday so I could feel smug about the ACLU donation part and I think it's really nice.  But I have to be honest (and hope I don't sound like a dick) and say that the track lengths are pretty fearsome.  I enjoyed the sounds and patterns but the effort to listen to it all in one sitting means that I probably won't listen to it often.  But as it does sound so nice I ended up spending a few hours in Ableton cutting it up (and editing a wee bit) and turned it into a 29 track, 50 minute affair that I can put on random play in something of a Gescom MD style.  And now I'm digging it in every way possible.  I hope I don't offend you, but if it makes you feel better I did the same with the AE live stuff too.

This is great, I'm really happy to hear that you repurposed it into something that you enjoy—and had the desire to rework it—so thanks! Can you upload it somewhere? I'd love to hear your edit.

It was intended to be almost an "installation" rather than something requiring active listening.. it's essentially an early incarnation of something I have in mind for an art installation I want to create. 

• 1 month later...

I jammed with a friend using one copy of nanoloop 2 each on sunday, we made this:

no edits, no effects, synced only by ear

we also paired monomachines but it ended up a bit too chaotic to release, heh.. maybe next time

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Weird, the bass on FSET is messing with something in my head and making my eyes water. Maybe it's the in-ears? :) Never felt anything like that before.

WHxp as well, at 1:35 it gets weird again. Maybe it's the rapid panning of something? Or maybe it's some sub-bass that's messing with me?

I like the music, it's just that there seems to be something beyond the music going on. :)

Hahah, well I composed pretty much all of it on the couch using my etymotic hf5s and a fiio A1 headphone amp, and intentionally went for some "headfuck" bass tones, almost as low as nanoloop 2 can go. Doesn't translate well to my monitors, but it's good to know that other IEMs are getting a similar effect. I'll probably continue to experiment with effects like this—I love the idea of making crazy psychoacoustic compositions using nanoloop.

Could also be the kinda strobing effect of the staccato hihat/pop sounds? Kinda like the bit near the end of st michaels mount where the whole track gets really stuttery.

Thanks for listening :D

Hahah, well I composed pretty much all of it on the couch using my etymotic hf5s and a fiio A1 headphone amp, and intentionally went for some "headfuck" bass tones, almost as low as nanoloop 2 can go. Doesn't translate well to my monitors, but it's good to know that other IEMs are getting a similar effect. I'll probably continue to experiment with effects like this—I love the idea of making crazy psychoacoustic compositions using nanoloop.

Could also be the kinda strobing effect of the staccato hihat/pop sounds? Kinda like the bit near the end of st michaels mount where the whole track gets really stuttery.

Thanks for listening :D

Yeah it was strobing for sure, made me nauseous - I suppose that's because the inner ear and the gravity center gets shocked or something.

awesome, hopefully that translates well to a good venue system. I played this EP live on Fed Square's sound system a couple of weeks ago (for those outside Australia, Federation Square is a public space in Melbourne with a stage that usually hosts rather uninteresting music and events, but we took it over with chiptunes for two nights), but the subs didn't go deep enough for some of the bass tones. Plus there were screaming children playing video games at the front of the stage (it was a PAX promo event)

thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback on this one, since it's a style I haven't really tried before.. it's inspiring me to expand on it a little, for a full album of mixed footwork/autonomic styles!

Archived