IGNORED

Moodymann - DJ Kicks release

cwmbrancity

Haha, I might just do that. Don't think he does those curtain gigs anymore though, not in the handful of times I saw him anyway. He really likes to pour Vodka or Hennessy for the entire audience these days, and walking away in the middle of his set because he didn't feel like playing anymore...

I overlooked the stream yesterday, listening to the mix now and it's lovely, so far I'm only dissapointed that he didn't drop his own remix of Jai Paul - BTSTU in there, that one is absolutely superiour to the version included in this. His version:

https://youtu.be/QT1NDFkq3Fk?t=6m57s

(6m57s in)

edit: ordered CD :)

• 2 weeks later...

.... whats the scuttlebutt on that 7" of the J.A.N. (edit) released on .... from what i understand is a new imprint run by carhartt clothing?? on the detroit tipp? weird. anyway... i want one because J.A.N. is moody's best track of all time and who cares if it's only a shorter edit... i want digital

• 2 weeks later...

To each iz oun though this was way underwhelming on first listen. Perhaps I had 2high expectations of him as a dj or maybe the art form that was mixology is offishully fubar but this is the closest thing to 'phoned-in' I've heard in a while. Yay let's license some eclectic traxxx (most of which are actually quite good) then do fuck all but itunes crossfade for 45+ minutes. Then again dude's earned the rite to do wtf he wants, it's amusing to see all the butthurt vinlys fetishists complain on dicsogs about how obscene his rekkids be priced

too much diva with not enough to show for it. baduizm? give me a fucking break. all cult of personality....

which leads me to moodymann. Kind of the same issue here.... the whole marvin thing... difficult to see where the homage ends and the conflation begins. The "crazy" caricatures, the incredibly rare limited releases, the boutique clothing label "repping" 313 with his face all over it... does leave somewhat of a sour taste in one's mouth esp when real detroit legends don't pull this kind of stuff at all. Moody is really good at making detroit house, J.A.N. is a certified dancefloor killer and his original run of 12s are some of the best in the game but the "jazzy" albums leave a lot to be desired (why don't i just go listen to some chill lounge jazz instead)

Agree with everything bob d says here although i'm the last one that wants to shit on moodymann when he's enjoying a bit of limelight, he deserves it... for now.

Moody is best when mike huckaby is mixing...

edit: also jsut remembered that on J.A.N. he edits an electrifying mojo interview with prince to sound like its about himself. lol... talk about a diva

Archived