TV Series Recommendations

halisray

No particular order:

Peep Show

Adventure Time

Jam

Weir's Way ('70s/'80s show from Scotland with an old guy called Tom Weir, walking/climbing and just seeing weird shit. Really slow-paced and meditative)

Firefly

The Office (both US and UK versions)

Detectorists

BBC nature documentaries (they're all good)

BBC4 music doccos (usually great stuff)

Limmy's Show

I've always been keen to watch The Prisoner from beginning to end. It's one of those shows that's always been floating around and seems part of the national consciousness but I realize I've never watched a single episode.

Ps I don't really watch tv, so thats the most interesting contribution I think I can make.

Edited by beerwolf

No particular order:

Sopranos

Peep Show

The Thick of It

Dad's Army

Only Fools & Horses

Trailer Park Boys

The Simpsons

Breaking Bad

Treme

Fargo

There's probably some I can't think of that will push their way in, but it's hard to think of everything on the spot.

Well, maybe

Twin Peaks

Seinfeld

Ghost in the Shell

IT Crowd

Monty Python

Father Ted

Black Adder

Sledge Hammer!

Black Books

Fawlty Towers

I could add some others. It seems I tend to like comedies.

I seldom watch TV, but I'll just go ahead and mention Invader Zim as one of my all-time faves.

Also like X-Files, Ren & Stimpy, Tim & Eric, MTV AMP, Breaking Bad, Mythbusters, Jeopardy...is that 10? Fuck it.

Edited by ambermonk

Breaking Bad

Curb Your Enthusiasm

House of Cards (american version)

South Park

Horarce and Pete (only 3 episodes in, but daaaaamn it's good so far.)

Louis

Archer

Twin Peaks

Simpsons

The Office (UK version)

Metalocalypse

Dexter (though later seasons get weak/cheesy)

I need to watch Sopranos again. I remember being pretty blown away by episodes I saw, but it's been 15 years and I never finished it. I was never any good at keeping up with scheduled weekly anything. Netflix/pirate bay is really what brought TV into my life.

Manimal

Sons & Daughters

Rude Dog & The Dweebs

The Funky Bunker

Eldorado

Matt Houston

The Hitman & Her

Gruey

Tales of the Unexpected

Badger Girl

Edited by BCM

cartoons:

home movies

the simpsons

spongebob squarepants

not cartoons:

twin peaks

dexter

trailer park boys

Home Movies is #1 tied with Twin Peaks.

Stuff that was great but I'm not that bothered about returning to:

breaking bad

homeland series 1

fargo

Home Movies is #1 in my book too! My amazing wife got me the whole series on DVD.

Edited by bronchuseven

cartoons:

home movies

the simpsons

spongebob squarepants

not cartoons:

twin peaks

dexter

trailer park boys

Home Movies is #1 tied with Twin Peaks.

Stuff that was great but I'm not that bothered about returning to:

breaking bad

homeland series 1

fargo

Home Movies is #1 in my book too! My amazing wife got me the whole series on DVD.
awesome! I can't get them on DVD in the UK :(

luckily there are a load of episodes on YouTube so I return to them often.

LOL at the guy mentioning Friends. That show is utmost cancer, it kinda birthed cofee-shop wankers, and it had a general, cosy, middle-aged take on modern culture that just did not hold. Plus the fact that many other writers and producers tried to replicate it, ruining it for everyone. Plus the concept of the "Rachel and Ross" type of relationship. Before Friends, people were single, together, married, or divorced. Memories of Rachel and Ross constantly talkin shit like "we are on a break" keep coming back to me, and it gave way for this kind of romantic ambiguity that persists to this day.

Anyway, my top would most surely contain The Sopranos, The Wire, Seinfeld and Game of Thrones and Twin Peaks. Pretty basic I guess.

dang missing some big ones here fellas..

no order.. maybe.. well kinda an order ok its in order

Larry Sanders Show

Mystery Science Theater 3000

The Day Today

The Office (UK)

Tim & Eric

Xavier: Renegade Angel / Wonder Showzen

Venture Brothers

Futurama (seasons 1-5)

Spongebob

tie between Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Seinfeld

ugh so hard... GIRLS and Iron Chef (Japan but with english dubs) would probably make the list too...

also lol @ GIRLS and The Office being the only ones that remotely approach drama... dramas generally suck

Edited by dr lopez

LOL at the guy mentioning Friends. That show is utmost cancer, it kinda birthed cofee-shop wankers, and it had a general, cosy, middle-aged take on modern culture that just did not hold. Plus the fact that many other writers and producers tried to replicate it, ruining it for everyone. Plus the concept of the "Rachel and Ross" type of relationship. Before Friends, people were single, together, married, or divorced. Memories of Rachel and Ross constantly talkin shit like "we are on a break" keep coming back to me, and it gave way for this kind of romantic ambiguity that persists to this day.

Don't know whether you're being ironic here or not because that's exactly what I like about that show !

And the fact that it's been (badly) replicated so many times is a solid proof of that show being very good at what it is : a sitcom, complete with false laughters etc.