IGNORED

exm - overscore (New EP On Touched Music)

Touched Music

EP Released 25th Feb

Let's face it. February's a bit rubbish - and let me stop you before you try to convince me that Valentine's day is a shining light in an otherwise dark and miserable month.

But one thing can save us and that's Touched Music's love for us all. Slapping us in the face with the musical equivalent of a dozen red roses is the latest release from exm - "Overscore".

It's hard to put a finger on exm's style and that's just how I like it - this EP refuses to sit in any stylistic pigeonhole and draws from a lot of technical skills and influences. I've said it before about the similarities to Autechre and that's still present but there's so much more going on here.

The first track alone is a journey in itself - starting with sound reminiscent of Hans Zimmer's depiciton of vast, open, astronomical nothingness but better it gives way to a rhythmic party that can only be described as a sentient electronic hurdy-gurdy with poor intentions against humankind. Finishing with a digital call to prayer this is just the opening of a fantastic six-track EP.

Sudden key changes, great timbral layering and pleasing dissonance are the icing on the proverbial cake. This work manages to relax and unnerve at the same time and doesn't tire for one second. As a bonus we're treated to a remix that's so well done it's neither so similar to its parent nor a complete departure - back-to-back they sound like they could have been composed together as separate acts.[/font][/size][/color]

Do the right thing, winter's nearly over so why not let this latest festival of noise into your life and help Macmillan Cancer Support along the way?

Wise words from Alexander Shum

post-8588-0-71138500-1455867694_thumb.png

Yeah I bought this last night and it is damned good. Highly recommended even after only a couple listens. Very unique in a lot of ways, I think this is the best release of the year so far.

sent using magic space waves

Archived