IGNORED

Luke Vibert, DJ Pierre, Hardfloor, Posthuman - I Love Acid 010

Rubin Farr

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest bitroast

sorry mate. 

the analogy to looking at art only on a mobile phone screen doesn't add up. when i buy digital music, i play it over speakers / headphones just the same as i do when i listen to vinyl. i crank that shit nice and loud. 

i like buying vinyl too. 

but living in australia, vinyl (especially from smaller more independent pressings) is generally more expensive than what i'm willing to spend. i could hop on (**file sharing program**) and just download everything that tickles my fancy for free, but instead i like to buy the music and support the artists + labels. 

buying everything that grabs my interest only as vinyl = way too much money. 

so i have to make informed decisions and choose where to drop the cash on vinyl vs where to drop the cash on digital. 

if there's a label, running their business on bandcamp ( a digital music distribution system ), running their business online, and are actively refusing to provide digital options to people in my position. i see it as nothing more than labels manufacturing exclusivity for the sake of it. i personally don't care for it in the slightest.

hope ya understand :^) 

*sigh* 

And even the jpg analogy (pun pun) is lame. Vinyl is only carrier of the art, not the art itself. When it comes to music, it only becomes art when you hear it, pumping through your speakers. Whether the source is vinyl, cd, digital, tape shouldn't matter. 

And why stop at saying you only want to release something on vinyl? If you're consistent, you'd also put requirements on the player, the settings, the setup, the volume, etc, etc, before selling it. "Vinyl only" is just a gimmick. 808 releases on vinyl is just a gimmick. It's just a silly idea.

This thread is making me sick to my stomach.  Entitlement, entitlement, digital entitlement, everywhere you look. I think there's a beauty in releasing stuff on physical format only when it's the current year and more people than ever seem to think they should have the option to actually pay for stuff they like. It's ignorant and it's horrible to behold. How about you just deal with the fact that you just won't be able to pay the artists for their work and move on with your lives? This is not for you. It's exclusive art in the current year. And you don't get it. Neither do you get to get it. Ever.

This thread is making me sick to my stomach.  Entitlement, entitlement, digital entitlement, everywhere you look. I think there's a beauty in releasing stuff on physical format only when it's the current year and more people than ever seem to think they should have the option to actually pay for stuff they like. It's ignorant and it's horrible to behold. How about you just deal with the fact that you just won't be able to pay the artists for their work and move on with your lives? This is not for you. It's exclusive art in the current year. And you don't get it. Neither do you get to get it. Ever.

I'm entitled to nothing really. I just think their argument was nonsensical. If they want to release vinyl only, be my guest. Don't be surprised people will be asking for digital though. Might call that entitlement. You could also call it interest. 

I'm entitled to nothing really. I just think their argument was nonsensical. If they want to release vinyl only, be my guest. Don't be surprised people will be asking for digital though. Might call that entitlement. You could also call it interest. 

Call it a hunch, but I think Foil might be sarcastic. Good points though, that's basically the gist of it: don't blame your audience for showing interest. The label has every right to release it whichever way they see fit (obviously) but the audience also has the right to say that this format-only stuff is garbage. Deal with it.

It's backwards enough to see this label wriggle its way through its own rules (having 'strictly 303 copies' to suddenly 808 copies and using every digital outlet to promote your anti-digital product, leaving the digital consumer with just the free inferiour 128kbps bandcamp stream of entire tracks that this painter apparently does want to provide) while justifying it with false analogies (comparing high quality digital files with low-res jpg mobile screensavers?) how can you expect people not to question that? That's all.

Speaking of entitlement: 

Josh did ask me 10 years ago or however long, "Can I use your track name for a night?" He said he'd only do one or two… 10 years later."

Just kidding :dadjoke: don't kill me. I love acid too. Not that these post change anything, the releases will sell out anyway (thankfully). I won't refrain from buying these either, if I get the chance that is :dadjoke:

Archived