IGNORED

Madrona Labs Virta

d-a-m-o

yes aalto and kaivo , both are very good

I think it's good that not many peeps know about these secret weapon synths and that they are best approached by deleting all presets. It would make the idm sound design arms race a total mess, cause any old idiot would be insta creatve in terms of sound design by understanding west coast synthesis. It might be best to delete this thread, so that nobody knows about these things.

I believe it's a sort of de-esser... done the Madrona Labs way.

By the way, don't know about Kaivo but Aalto isn't a secret weapon at all. What does IDM sound-design means anyway, boring cricket burps and farts? .)

By the way, don't know about Kaivo but Aalto isn't a secret weapon at all. What does IDM sound-design means anyway, boring cricket burps and farts? .)

idm sound design : bleeps and bloops

i didn't realise kaivo was related to the buchla? seems to be its own physical modelling sorta thing.

Kaivo might fall into the no-coast category like the make noise stand alone thingy they presented @ Namm. Your right on this.

kaivo is like a mix of mutable instruments clouds and elements module (granular synth + physical mod synth)

Yup I know. Aalto is capable of so much more though. And it's absolutely stunning to play it with a MPE keyboard.

What does IDM sound-design means anyway, boring cricket burps and farts? .)

Thats why most idm is very boring today.

it's a common thing with modular synths : walls of modular synth for producing bleeps and bloops (but you can also do some beautiful stuff with it)

My experience with their synths is quite the opposite of just a bunch of boring generic bleeps and bloops.. I barely knew how to program Aalto but it seemed to make all kinds of crazy sounds that i can't imagine would be inherently boring unless your arrangement is kinda dull.

Virta looks cool

hey i never thought about this but you could totally download demos of their synths and sample them a little bit if you were strapped for cash. i wonder if sampling VSTs in demo mode is a breach of the terms of use or something like that?

In Renoise you have the 'instrument grabber' that can automate such thing, creating a multi sample instrument with optional looping/velocity settings etc;

3.0_plugingrabber.png

If you have created your own sounds with the plugin, process the output, I wouldn't worry much about breach of terms or whatever.

Archived