IGNORED

New producers forum

fxbip

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dunno even know what my point is really but i don't want a record contract or to be on warp really...bet it'd do your head right in. i've got a job anyway... if someone wants to buy my tracks on bandcamp and that, that's really cool but i don't really mind one way or the other really...i'd still make tracks and stick 'em up somewhere because i like making tracks (sometimes - sometimes i hate it). i don't do it to achieve anything or say anything or be like, well serious about stuff and put on this well serious face and talk about what this track means or some shit. don't mean anything! just a load of stupid bleepy noises and drums arranged in a groovy way that makes me feel good. i hate shit that means shit.

Imagine an electronic musician who knew how to use dynamics, voice-leading, counterpoint, development of a motif, polytonality, metric modulation, articulation, etc

There hasn't yet been an electronic musician who knows this stuff (not really).

Seriously? I mean, mastery of all that isn't a particularly common thing among electronic musicians, but there are many who are aware of those things and employ them in their music. I have numerous compositions that utilize all those elements, and I don't think it's that extraordinary. I know I'm not unique on watmm in that regard. I get what your saying with most of your other posts on this subject, but the statement that there has never been an electronic musician to know and use all those common composition aspects is absurd. Otherwise I agree with most of what you're saying.

Reading this thread really made many things much MUCH clearer to me regarding the state of modern music production and consumption.

Care to elaborate?

It's a sad story imo. Very depressing views.

My views on music is not a popular one in RL, but apparently not even here. I've talked about (my own and general) philosophy of music and art many times on watmm, rarely finding an interlocutor, so i stoped. Latest bursts of my egotism you can find on the last page of Studio Pics thread. I don't have time now, have to go to work, night shift at ER. :( (i wont use it but i agree to some extent that music is medicine ;)

Yeah honestly this thread really bummed me out

"Music is just a pisstake...just something to pass the time"

That is some depressing shit IMO

is just an opinion m8, i find is as transcendental as you sometimes, but is lots of fun to take the piss as well! :)

some people actually dont like music or really care about it enough to get into it beyond what's on the radio or what's packaged in a flashy way that appeals to them

i just dont think that simply because i like music, it must be the center of the universe

but one thing i definitely know is that the world isn't going to be changed either way, depending on whether i read about music theories concocted by some asshole a century ago and apply his ideas to my music instead of maybe trying to come up with something more my own. nobody is going to care.

but one thing i definitely know is that the world isn't going to be changed either way, depending on whether i read about music theories concocted by some asshole a century ago and apply his ideas to my music instead of maybe trying to come up with something more my own. nobody is going to care.

This view of theory is so hilariously ignorant, mate

This "Nothing to be learned from the past" shit

This sums up the sad shit that people in here are advocating

"For thousands of years some of the greatest minds, who devoted their entire lives to making and thinking about music, have written down their ideas on music, and I can read them? NAH."

i never said there's nothing to be learned from the past. not even in the context of music. but the fact of the matter is that since you seem bent on this idea that you're somehow going to change the world with music, maybe you should consider the fact that the people who actually originated those theories had way more influence and impact than you ever will merely by applying their ideas.

Guest Chesney

I'm sorry Limpy, I tried to be cool earlier but you don't help yourself.

I listened to your music earlier and I liked it to a degree, it's good, it does not change the world though, it's pretty much noodly BoC. Which is cool. Your weirdness on here makes me not want to like it though.

The examples of theory you listed are simple ideas that many artists use all the time, many wouldn't even know they are. Just because you learnt them does not mean others don't explore them. I had to look up a couple for myself only to think, Oh, well I do that and loads of other people do too.

Music is everything to me and I DO believe it's one of the main keys to happiness, experience and well being but I don't bleat on like it's some religion. It is a medicine to a degree too.

Basically stop thinking you're better than everyone else and accept that everyones ideas of what music is and let things be. I know you get frustrated by people not getting you but you make it really hard because you don't put any effort to get other people.

Anyway, I'd advise you not to bother with that producer forum as you'd only hate everyone for their 4/4 sample pack driven boring sounding shite.

I'm sorry Limpy, I tried to be cool earlier but you don't help yourself.

Basically stop thinking you're better than everyone else and accept that everyones ideas of what music is and let things be. I know you get frustrated by people not getting you but you make it really hard because you don't put any effort to get other people.

Eh, Limpy's just misnderstood on here. I don't think he thinks he's better than anyone. He's just very serious about music and wants to encourage others to care about it like he does. It comes from a good place, and it gets taken the wrong way all the time.

Limpy is good people!

Archived