IGNORED

New producers forum

fxbip

I'm sorry Limpy, I tried to be cool earlier but you don't help yourself.

Basically stop thinking you're better than everyone else and accept that everyones ideas of what music is and let things be. I know you get frustrated by people not getting you but you make it really hard because you don't put any effort to get other people.

Eh, Limpy's just misnderstood on here. I don't think he thinks he's better than anyone. He's just very serious about music and wants to encourage others to care about it like he does. It comes from a good place, and it gets taken the wrong way all the time.

Limpy is good people!

Yes, exactly. His intentions seem to be continually be read wrong in this thread.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't even believe what I'm reading...

Making music is fun!

THANK YOU

SOMEONE GETS IT

:wub:

just imagine how much fun mike & rich had making this! "lets put a FART on it!" a FART! not a monologue about how serious this track is lol

Guest Chesney

I hoped that too, and based on his past posts I have seen I would have agreed. I actually agree with most of limpy's opinion regarding all this but fuck, the way he writes it winds me the fuck up. It does not read like someone understanding everything.

Prove me wrong, not that you have to but I want to understand Limpy without being lumped in with the rest of the world he considers stupid at making music.

I hoped that too, and based on his past posts I have seen I would have agreed. I actually agree with most of limpy's opinion regarding all this but fuck, the way he writes it winds me the fuck up. It does not read like someone understanding everything.

Prove me wrong, not that you have to but I want to understand Limpy without being lumped in with the rest of the world he considers stupid at making music.

He doesn't consider others stupid at making music, that's what you're misreading. All he's saying is that learning theory is good while others are saying you don't need to learn theory to make good or serious music. But he didn't say you NEED to learn theory to make good or serious music. Then people just kept assuming that's what he saying?

Guest Chesney

He doesn't consider others stupid at making music, that's what you're misreading. All he's saying is that learning theory is good while others are saying you don't need to learn theory to make good or serious music. But he didn't say you NEED to learn theory to make good or serious music. Then people just kept assuming that's what he saying?

I know, I was jumping off the edge of the cliff. But it does read that you NEED to learn it. Most electronic is amateurish to him, I don't see how he can say that. I'd say Most electronic music does not meet what I want to hear from music yeah but who's to say what sounds bad in an all inclusive palette of sound?

let's all go away and make a track whether we care about it or not

that's what it is all about, isnt it?

And if you want to improve the opportunities for delevoping your idea of music you got to know your stuff, which basically means learning something about music itself, which basically means teaching yourself some music theory.

Doesnt matter how you do it, wether you got some "classic" lessons or you become a self-taught composer. The only difference would be that you will use different words for the same techniques.

I agree with the statement that you should "approach music with obsessiveness and attention-to-detail", so that you can develop yourself and the music you want to create.

Otherwise IMO you are a sucker for blowjobs and you will put the same loops of the same sample packs slighty different on every track, which is first of all absolutely boring, but sadly still too prevailing and always leads to failure.

But some people see "everylasting pating themselfes on the back" and getting blowjobs by dumbass bitches as a victory.

Which is cool, because I dont care about these people and dont take them seriously.

Reading this thread felt sometimes like argueing with my dad when i was young; we basically meant the same things but still were by-taking and getting angry at each other for totally different reasons, hahaha

Doesnt matter how you do it, wether you got some "classic" lessons or you become a self-taught composer. The only difference would be that you will use different words for the same techniques.

Yeah, this. Anyone who is naturally musical, listens to a wide variety of music, and is also creative, is bound to instinctively use many of the same techniques in composing as someone who is classically trained. And I think this can often lead to more interesting, original results, because the artist who is composing intuitively is not going to be going from point A to point C based on rules of logic... they're more likely to go a less well trodden path. I've witnessed some musicians rely mostly on theory when working out ideas, and it often leads to very predictable results. That's not to say you should ignore the logic aspect... I mean, it's there whether the composer's aware of it or not. And if you can learn the theory and not have it dictate where your composition leads, it can show you some interesting alternate paths to take that you may not have considered otherwise. The most important thing is to know what you love in music, and then pursue that tirelessly. I like music that surprises me, and music that moves me. The music that does both is the music I love most.

Wait, what is this thread about again?

it's not about what he said, it's about what he didn't say!

41FimVY2HRL._SX522_.jpg

There hasn't yet been an electronic musician who knows this stuff (not really).

really? but you even mentioned tom jenkinson! who specifically, or generally, are you talking about?

i'm in a music school i try to get the most out of it, but hey, every time i try to look at music in a compositional way, most musikmakers just tell me to forget about all that stuff, example, the swing thread...

To TL;DR my thesis:

(Since this conversation veered into a pro-/anti-theory debate)

1) "Theory" is just a bunch of colors, tools, approaches, perspectives and textures that you can use or not use. I can't imagine why people wouldn't wanna know about them

2) when I said "serious about music" the interpretations ITT ranged from "serious about promoting your music" to "precious and pretentious about music"...

what I *meant* was simply someone who might say "I'm gonna spend 6 months making the most amazing album I am capable of making"

There hasn't yet been an electronic musician who knows this stuff (not really).

i'm in a music school i try to get the most out of it, but hey, every time i try to look at music in a compositional way, most musikmakers just tell me to forget about all that stuff, example, the swing thread...

I am contending that that is terrible, terrible advice

I would call that anti-advice

Imagine taking that advice to heart in any other field but music

I have seen people on here advise others to spend less time on each choon

Sadly, advice from electronic musicians tends to essentially be "work less hard, care less, study less"

And if you give contrary advice (as I'm trying to do), you get quite a reaction

My theory understanding is limited to the circle of fifths and the most basic triads, but it seems to me like theory is most valuable as a way of expanding your musical vocabulary. A shortcut to finding sweet melodies and chords just like patch memory and sample libraries are a shortcut to sweet sounds. It's up to you to make it yours, and to figure out what that means (and to what degree that incorporates the other stuff). And for my money's worth, it's the making it yours part that gives music damn near 100% of its meaning, enjoyment, transcendence, "medicinal" powers, etc.

Exactly, Sweepstakes.

Imagine you were a sculptor, or a painter, or an animator, or a collage artist, or a poet, or an architect, or a sound designer: Wouldn't you wanna learn what sorts of techniques and ideas were already floating around? The history and pedagogy of your craft?

If your answer is "no" then yes, I would contend that you don't take it *too* seriously.

Archived