IGNORED

Virtual Reality

data

imagine if they made a horror game or movie with this tech. like, people crawling up walls, head spinning projectile vomitting...

that would break someone like a bad trip

it's just a game it's just a game it's just a game

Well, there's already plenty VR horror experiences to choose from:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=virtual+reality+horror+game+

Visage will also get VR support:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

imagine if they made a horror game or movie with this tech. like, people crawling up walls, head spinning projectile vomitting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nyX4qolsyM

Didn't watch this vid before my post about PT. Looks like the same kinda deal, and amazing. I don't know how anyone will be able to play this kind of stuff in VR, even the thought of it is making me a bit anxious!

Didn't watch this vid before my post about PT. Looks like the same kinda deal, and amazing. I don't know how anyone will be able to play this kind of stuff in VR, even the thought of it is making me a bit anxious!

After PT got scrapped and pooped on everyone started kickstarting their own PT games.

"So you wake up in a house and you don't know what's going on. It's gonna be sick, bro".

Visage and Allison Road are the two front runners in my book though. Allison Road was a Kickstarter game as well but Team17 taking over, so the Kickstarter was cancelled and the game is now being published by Team17.

There's an alien invasion PT game coming out as well... I think it's called Abduction? Gimme a sec...

EDIT: Yup, here it is

these are all gonna be AWESOME.

as awesome as the american Silent Hills are.

which is to say, not good.

these are all gonna be AWESOME.

as awesome as the american Silent Hills are.

which is to say, not good.

Like 90% of the games out there, 90% of these Silent Hills ripoffs won't be any good. You know what... I'm actually just waiting for Routine to come out...

Heh, I bought Soma because I thought it was Routine, imagine my disappointment, not that it was terrible or anything, but still... Anyway, I've been playing a lot of "walking simulators" lately, and I've mostly been enjoying myself. I'd love to go back and replay them in VR.

the only problem with VR and first person games is locomotion. personally i have no problems with the teleportation mechanic as long as it's a walking sim or a fairly slow game, but it wouldn't work with a fast paced shooter. there are devices like this, but i can't imagine anyone with a normal sized apartment getting one of those. sort of like those racing game chairs. maybe if you have a spare, dedicated game room or something.

controlling your movements with a gamepad, moving forward in the game while sitting or standing completely still in real life is out of the question for me. i don't get motion sick, at all, but it's still a very disorienting feeling. unless you're in a cockpit or a car seat or something in the game.

something like what these guys are working on might be a future solution:

• 2 months later...

Ive had a DK2 for ages now, its Amazing with a capital A.  Anyone who likes computer games will like it unless they get sick or dizzy. And believe me everyone does get it with something - flipping 360s at 10g *will* have your brain trying to compensate, thats just natural. But I dont get it from FPS much..

I do laugh at all the people slating it that havent even tried it out yet, now oculus have sorted out the judder (very clever interpolation so objects further away - i.e. the horizon are always smooth even if your computer isnt rendering fast enough only close objects flicker = less sickness)

Its basically gaming 2.0. the sense of scale that some of these games have & no-one has ever experienced it properly.  something like ico or colossus is going to melt your tiny little brains. ive been playing metroid the gamecube one and the intro where the station flies past you is breathtaking even as it is.... 

Windlands = amazing, even curing my vertigo as im putting myself in scary situations and beating them, my brain is digging it. 

Animated films are amazing, theres a couple floating around

can you play something like Metroid in actual 3D, so that there is a separate image for each eye? or is it basically just as if you would play it on a big pixellated screen?

• 1 month later...
Guest bitroast

*slow clap*

Oculus founder Palmer Luckey is financially supporting a pro-Donald Trump group of "shitposters,"

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/23/13025422/palmer-luckey-oculus-founder-funding-donald-trump-trolls

watching pretty much any interview with the guy shows he has a tendency to bumble and make conversations fall apart. 

it's honestly sort of no surprise he's gotten himself (and as result the company) in a pr nightmare. 

using money gained from entirely non political endeavor to support political campaign is one thing. 

using money gained from entirely non political endeavor to some support political 'shitposting' campaign not actually affiliated with the political campaign, which in itself seems largely garbage and gross behavioured ... and on top of that .. supporting trump ??? it's kind of a pr nightmare now. lol

devs are already pulling out from supporting occulus in response, or at least publicly condemning. 

He has already responded to the allegations

honestly. i don't mean to witch hunt but i don't buy it. 

some website directed me to a video of trump rally in which the dude was present and being interviewed.

the response itself admits to supporting the campaign and donating money to the shitposting group. 

the whole thing is just back peddling because of the backlash reaction from the gaming and dev community.

the guys a goob.

it's similar to that sean murray dude hurting the reception of no mans sky, in accordance with how he talked up the game constantly during promotion.

not saying sean murray lied or was malicious or anything .. but its just a case of people with rubbish PR skills diving way too deep into the public eye and fucking shit up for the companies they're representing. 

Guest bitroast

i just think it's really interesting this little shitstorm giving the timing of it all. oculus already seem in a really fragile position, having sold themselves out to the pretty garbage company facebook. comparing where oculus is atm compared to the vive, and it seems like vive are already overshooting them on a lot of what oculus has been promising and trying to get out to people (the social aspects???). 

and this a month before playstation vr drops... which .. may be a flop, depending on what software comes out for it and how playstation support the ecosystem (sketchy sketchy territories knowing playstations track record of leaving products in the dirt to die). or... given that the playstation 4 already has a strong userbase + is affordable vr for consumers + has strong developer connections, it may totally be awesome ??? it's really hard to say. 

what i'm getting at is .. oculus are in no amazing position as it is and really need to lift their game to get ahead of the competition and shit like this ... right now ... is really fucking interesting 

Guest bitroast

yeh. I think it's that the money went to a non-trump related smear campaign as opposed to directly to trump that makes it seem more disagreeable with people. it just seems so stupid and petty.

but!!! whatever. you're right. the dudes a dude. so be it I guess.

• 3 months later...

just read about the "Gamer's Dilemma":

Modern video games give players the opportunity to engage in highly realistic depictions of violent acts. Among these is the act of virtual murder: the player’s character intentional kills someone in the game environment without good cause. Most avid gamers don’t seem overly concerned about this (reputed links between video games and violence notwithstanding). Nevertheless, when the possibility of other immoral virtual acts — say virtual paedophilia — is raised, people become rather more squeamish. Why is this? And is this double-standard justified?

Screenshot from Grand Theft Auto

These are the questions that Morgan Luck sets out to answer in his article “The Gamer’s Dilemma”. In brief, Luck argues that if virtual murder is deemed morally permissible, then it is difficult to see why virtual paedophilia is not. Both can claim the same moral argument — no actual victim is harmed in either case — and it is difficult to find further moral distinctions that would justify the double-standard. The result is that video gamers are landed in a dilemma: either they reject the permissibility of virtual murder and virtual paedophilia, or they accept the permissibility of both.

http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/danaher20140125

btw have ther ever been a movie with a plot  that has a guy given a opportunity to play super advanced VR Game, guy goes on rampage killing and raping ... eventually getting bored, wanting to quit playing, turns out it's not that easy ... gradually he realizes the horrible truth  ....

it's  kind of obvious twist, there gotta be this  movie already ....

Existenz, yes ... but it had more complicated plot, intelligent plot, ... the most memorable thing in it yo me was the way it portrait the virtual reality "heads" as kind of junkies with some disgusting details when they were plugging in ... and the strange crab farm ... might rewatch it sometimes ... I remember there was a twist ending ... it might have been predictable twist

Arnold's original Total Recall was also very philosophical movie although technically fake memories are not exactly the same as fake experiences

Archived