IGNORED

New PLAID album - incoming

subtract

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Further Hands is on Bleep now.

Only track I like is Elevator - which I now realise they were playing during live sets in 2014.

Odic is maybe the worst thing I've ever heard from them. The rest is meh. Not impressed.

If you're a completist, you'll want this EP but I don't care to hear it again.

They played Ooyu & RAB at Futureeverything back in 2010 so glad I finally have them, Odica is absolute genius and this EP tagged onto the album along with Nulls makes a really great set.

• 4 weeks later...

The more I listen to this album the more I think of how lazy it sounds. I just know that Plaid are highly skilled and capable of pulling off some really impressive music which develops and evolves but Digging Remedy is not meeting those typical standards.

Their recent output pre-Digging Remedy was simply flawless

Scintilli - lots of complex patterns overlapping in a unique way that only Plaid can pull off so well. Consistent sound palette that doesn't meander too much. Lush epic tracks like founded, at last and upgrade.

Reachy Prints - the majority of the tracks go to new places and evolve really well. Again, epic tracks like Nafovanny, Wallet and Ropen. Really clear example of lots of effort and thought put into the release overall.

But then when I listen to Digging Remedy, I get lots of tracks with very simplistic structures, simplistic patterns, with little to no evolution (exceptions in my mind are CLOCK and Melifer)

I started having similar reactions to digging remedy after a dozen listens or so. A number of the tracks seem to start and build wonderful plaid atmospheres, and then just seem to peter out & end where usually there would be some kind of crescendo. Yesterday, during a chill countryside drive, when a play through of digging remedy ended, I immediately put in reachy prints(which I hadn't listened to in over a month, but have heard hundreds of times). The first 30 seconds of the opener, Oh, was already more interesting and immersive than the entirety of digging remedy. And I wonder if the plaid boys have similar feelings. It's probably a pretty unfair comparison by me. Reachy Prints is a fucking phenomenal album. Perhaps digging remedy is more of a collage of ideas.

The more I listen to this album the more I think of how lazy it sounds. I just know that Plaid are highly skilled and capable of pulling off some really impressive music which develops and evolves but Digging Remedy is not meeting those typical standards.

Scintilli - lots of complex patterns overlapping in a unique way that only Plaid can pull off so well. Consistent sound palette that doesn't meander too much. Lush epic tracks like founded, at last and upgrade.

Reachy Prints - the majority of the tracks go to new places and evolve really well. Again, epic tracks like Nafovanny, Wallet and Ropen. Really clear example of lots of effort and thought put into the release overall.

But then when I listen to Digging Remedy, I get lots of tracks with very simplistic structures, simplistic patterns, with little to no evolution (exceptions in my mind are CLOCK and Melifer)

I started having similar reactions to digging remedy after a dozen listens or so. A number of the tracks seem to start and build wonderful plaid atmospheres, and then just seem to peter out & end where usually there would be some kind of crescendo. Yesterday, during a chill countryside drive, when a play through of digging remedy ended, I immediately put in reachy prints(which I hadn't listened to in over a month, but have heard hundreds of times). The first 30 seconds of the opener, Oh, was already more interesting and immersive than the entirety of digging remedy. And I wonder if the plaid boys have similar feelings. It's probably a pretty unfair comparison by me. Reachy Prints is a fucking phenomenal album. Perhaps digging remedy is more of a collage of ideas.

Wow, finally someone that agrees!

• 4 months later...

baby step giant step is one of my fav plaid tracks ever!

def the highlight on the album for me, tho thought I was alone on that one.

It's a quiet album against the rest of their work but I keep returning to it, I don't find it boring or half-baked- I enjoy it for being a gentler thing. If their next work is a sharper, more layered album that maybe more fans have come to expect, it may also foster more fondness for this one. Not my favorite but love it just the same.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

From the latest littlebig mail out:

New beat driven dance floor album ‘Polymer’ forthcoming Spring 2019 on Warp Records with new motion tracking and mapping live AV show. get in touch to be added to promo list once available.

excite

From the latest littlebig mail out:

New beat driven dance floor album ‘Polymer’ forthcoming Spring 2019 on Warp Records with new motion tracking and mapping live AV show. get in touch to be added to promo list once available.

excite

Oooh yeaaaah.

• 2 weeks later...

I started having similar reactions to digging remedy after a dozen listens or so.  A number of the tracks seem to start and build wonderful plaid atmospheres, and then just seem to peter out & end where usually there would be some kind of crescendo.  Yesterday, during a chill countryside drive, when a play through of digging remedy ended, I immediately put in reachy prints(which I hadn't listened to in over a month, but have heard hundreds of times).  The first 30 seconds of the opener, Oh, was already more interesting and immersive than the entirety of digging remedy.  And I wonder if the plaid boys have similar feelings.  It's probably a pretty unfair comparison by me.  Reachy Prints is a fucking phenomenal album.  Perhaps digging remedy is more of a collage of ideas.

Wow, finally someone that agrees!

Agree, Scintilli and Reachy were both outstanding, I play them a lot more than Digging Remedy, it just didn't seem quite as imaginative

Honestly I haven't been impressed with anything they've done since P Brane. Mbuki Mvuki is my fucking jam though, best spring cleaning music ever.

I thought the Tekkonkinkreet OST and Heaven's Door OST were really great. I also enjoyed Scintilli. The last two were not bad but felt like Plaid-lite to me - kind of rushed and short. Curious what this new one will sound like.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
128327.jpg

Warp lifers Plaid return with their 10th LP. Polymer is a baker’s dozen of tunes that finds the duo of Ed Handley and Andy Turner showing off all of their tricks. Crafted under the manifesto ‘Polyphony, Pollution and Politics’, Polymer manages to synthesise this trio of concerns into a set of stirring electronic compositions.

Unsurprisingly for a record so heavily concerned with the current socio-political climate, there are times when Polymer can be an intense listen. Quite a few of these tunes feature the sort of wheezy, pensive synth play that crops up in the work of Oneohtrix Point Never. The fact that this is frequently wed to choppy breakbeat techno rhythms (think Clark) only heightens the air of dystopian unease that skulks in the background of the LP.

However, the ‘Polyphony’ that the group lean on here also spawns some gorgeous moments. An entry like ‘Maru’ chains propulsive beats together with some sparkling harmonies in a manner that recalls Modeselektor or Apparat. It is a clouds-parting moment, one where the worries that plague Polymer lift and the listener is swept away by the simple beauty of Plaid’s music. Handley and Turner repeat the magic several times across the track list, and these computer ballads bring Polymer close to the sort of records Mark Pritchard has been crafting of late.

As they have done time and again throughout their career, Plaid draw a human warmth from their machines on Polymer.

https://bleep.com/release/128327-plaid-polymer

• 3 weeks later...

Archived