IGNORED

New PLAID album - incoming

subtract

Pretty sad to see an album as good as this has garnered a mere 5 pages while an EP that no-one has even heard yet is already nearing the 30 page mark. I've nothing against it. I just think stuff on here is so overrated. WATMM has always basically been an Aphex Fan Forum with a bunch of other stuff bolted on to give it more credibility.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been a Plaid fan but once in a while I like to freshen up my ears with it. First album that really clicked with me after all those years was Reachy Prints, so I guess I'm slowly warming up to them. Seeing Tekkonkinkreet recently and catching them live with the gamelan orchestra last month helped too, that was cool.

Just listened to the new album on Spotify yesterday, it was nice. Some great tracks (Dilatone, Yu Mountain, Wen, some others too) but like always, it hasn't really stuck yet. Enjoying it nonetheless.

On my third listen now and so far this album gets better on each listen!

More chilled and less experimental and the sounds are very well produced as you'd expect from Plaid.

I was hoping Plaid would make an album better suited for night time listening and that's exactly what we get.

Would liked a couple of longer tracks which would've made the album longer.. oh well.

Over all i'm really enjoying the album... good to see Ed&Andyx throwing some tbd vibes in there too.

PS. what's with the holes?

Pretty sad to see an album as good as this has garnered a mere 5 pages while an EP that no-one has even heard yet is already nearing the 30 page mark. I've nothing against it. I just think stuff on here is so overrated. WATMM has always basically been an Aphex Fan Forum with a bunch of other stuff bolted on to give it more credibility.

yup, WATMM is pretty much an Aphex and Autechre forum. Plaid were actually the band that brought me here so i'll always feel more strongly about them.

anyway, this album is so fucking good. sounds fantastic on vinyl.

I Need Nulls

sounds amazing, just can't buy it or find it..

Unless you order the CD from Amazon Japan or HMV Japan, you never will.

Back in 2014, Ototoy hadn't figured on so much interest from outside Japan. Lots of people on here bought the Syro bonus track. They also managed to get the Reachy Prints bonus. I'm pretty sure it only became apparent late last year that they began employing geo-restrictions because people were trying to get hold of the bonus track that came with OPN's Garden Of Delete.

You can try going through a VPN but someone I know tried that and it still blocked them. You basically need a Japanese IP address.

It's a situation that really sucks. The reason it even exists is because Japanese consumers have to pay more for the compact discs and so the record companies feel obliged to throw them something extra.

See this post:

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/90065-brian-eno-the-ship/?p=2441282

Guest Chesney

Yeah, I get that. It cool that they do this but a shame lots of fans don't get to own a good piece of music.

Yeah, I get that. It cool that they do this but a shame lots of fans don't get to own a good piece of music.

yeah. It's totally unjustified. But it's been like that for almost thirty years now.

Honestly, I've rarely heard a bonus track that made it worth tracking down the CD / download. The best was Away, but doens't really fit the album for me so I don't have to hear it.

Besides, someone always uploads a foreign copy of it eventually, so just bide your time.

I'm fine with it. I can indulge in listening to one of my favourite music producers without having to deal with drool dribbling fandom that is stalkerish and creepy. Can't imagine anyone going so fanboy for 'Edward & Andrew'.

I love this album. I've basically always wanted an album like this - something very warm, flowing, 'easy to listen to' and chilled out that also has plenty of depth and interesting harmonies / melodies and an atmosphere that isn't too sickly sweet. It's hard to explain, but this one does it. I also really like the flute!

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.

the only frustrating thing about plaid not always inspiring the same kind of slavish fanboys that you find in ae or afx threads is that i have to do most of the work of tracking down the really rare stuff myself :(

that and i wish they had more support, of course

I Need Nulls

sounds amazing, just can't buy it or find it..

Unless you order the CD from Amazon Japan or HMV Japan, you never will.

here's hoping it makes it to youtube asap

the track is amazing, and yes, usually bonus tracks are, ok, but not the case here IMO

First listen at the moment, love it all ready.

Man this weekend is so good, yesterday my Bytes vinyl was finaly delivered, so today is full on Plaid day :D Happy times

@ Herr Jan: Did you go to the Plaid with Gamelan orchestra gig in Amsterdam last month?

How was it? I wanted to go, but nobody was interested in joining me and I didn't want to by myself :(

And guys, don't worry for not having the fanboyish things in this subforum. We don't have to scroll through pages of off-topic fanboy bantering ;)

And guys, don't worry for not having the fanboyish things in this subforum. We don't have to scroll through pages of off-topic fanboy bantering ;)

SERIOUS QUESTION GUYS what if plaid isn't good anymoer

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.

the only frustrating thing about plaid not always inspiring the same kind of slavish fanboys that you find in ae or afx threads is that i have to do most of the work of tracking down the really rare stuff myself :(

that and i wish they had more support, of course

Comments and reviews are fine, but when it comes to artists like Plaid whom i'm very familiar with, they're personally not needed.
I enjoy their music much more without the noise of crybaby fanboys echoing in my head.
TDR is one day old!!!
We live in a reaction driven world pushed by the likes of government run websites such as twatter and facefook, it's crazy but not unusual.
As for finding the hard to find tracks, well that's the fun part innit! :)

2nd listen; love the album. It has this typical vibe only Ed and Andy can achieve.

It sounds quite close to Reachy Prints.

Do i hear Dblue Glitch at the beginning of Dilatone?

@moonside: I don't think that will ever happen. There's not a lot these guys made that i don't like ;)

Archived