Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

New PLAID album - incoming

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#176 magdog

magdog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 11-May 10

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:19 AM

Went to Wales biking the weekend, my friend and i played the album on repeat for most of the time on the road. 
It's a bit of a tradition that began with Spanners, we take the latest (usually just come out) Plaid album with us.
Once again the sounds of Ed&Andy was along for the journey driving through the Welsh hills and vallies... just amazing! 

Classic Plaid all the way!

#177 ambermonk

ambermonk

最後のレッドショルダー

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts
  • 38 topics
  • Joined 23-June 12
  • SoundCloud URL:ClownSound IRL
  • Steam:ScopeDog

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:35 PM

Clock is classic Plaid. lovely.

Yep, my favorite track on that album. Yu Mountain comes in second for me.

#178 fumi

fumi

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
  • 200 topics
  • Joined 18-November 05

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:40 AM

Further Hands is on Bleep now.

Only track I like is Elevator - which I now realise they were playing during live sets in 2014.

Odic is maybe the worst thing I've ever heard from them. The rest is meh. Not impressed.

If you're a completist, you'll want this EP but I don't care to hear it again.

#179 subtract

subtract

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • 20 topics
  • Joined 17-April 08
  • Interests:Design/Art/Music

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:40 PM

They played Ooyu & RAB at Futureeverything back in 2010 so glad I finally have them, Odica is absolute genius and this EP tagged onto the album along with Nulls makes a really great set.

#180 cloud capture

cloud capture

1000 Club

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • 10 topics
  • Joined 15-October 11
  • Interests:organic farming
    photography
    music
    video games
    nature

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

The more I listen to this album the more I think of how lazy it sounds. I just know that Plaid are highly skilled and capable of pulling off some really impressive music which develops and evolves but Digging Remedy is not meeting those typical standards.

Their recent output pre-Digging Remedy was simply flawless

Scintilli - lots of complex patterns overlapping in a unique way that only Plaid can pull off so well. Consistent sound palette that doesn't meander too much. Lush epic tracks like founded, at last and upgrade.

Reachy Prints - the majority of the tracks go to new places and evolve really well. Again, epic tracks like Nafovanny, Wallet and Ropen. Really clear example of lots of effort and thought put into the release overall.

But then when I listen to Digging Remedy, I get lots of tracks with very simplistic structures, simplistic patterns, with little to no evolution (exceptions in my mind are CLOCK and Melifer)

I started having similar reactions to digging remedy after a dozen listens or so.  A number of the tracks seem to start and build wonderful plaid atmospheres, and then just seem to peter out & end where usually there would be some kind of crescendo.  Yesterday, during a chill countryside drive, when a play through of digging remedy ended, I immediately put in reachy prints(which I hadn't listened to in over a month, but have heard hundreds of times).  The first 30 seconds of the opener, Oh, was already more interesting and immersive than the entirety of digging remedy.  And I wonder if the plaid boys have similar feelings.  It's probably a pretty unfair comparison by me.  Reachy Prints is a fucking phenomenal album.  Perhaps digging remedy is more of a collage of ideas.

#181 Bread

Bread

pay now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts
  • 92 topics
  • Joined 20-July 06

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

The more I listen to this album the more I think of how lazy it sounds. I just know that Plaid are highly skilled and capable of pulling off some really impressive music which develops and evolves but Digging Remedy is not meeting those typical standards.

Their recent output pre-Digging Remedy was simply flawless

Scintilli - lots of complex patterns overlapping in a unique way that only Plaid can pull off so well. Consistent sound palette that doesn't meander too much. Lush epic tracks like founded, at last and upgrade.

Reachy Prints - the majority of the tracks go to new places and evolve really well. Again, epic tracks like Nafovanny, Wallet and Ropen. Really clear example of lots of effort and thought put into the release overall.

But then when I listen to Digging Remedy, I get lots of tracks with very simplistic structures, simplistic patterns, with little to no evolution (exceptions in my mind are CLOCK and Melifer)

I started having similar reactions to digging remedy after a dozen listens or so.  A number of the tracks seem to start and build wonderful plaid atmospheres, and then just seem to peter out & end where usually there would be some kind of crescendo.  Yesterday, during a chill countryside drive, when a play through of digging remedy ended, I immediately put in reachy prints(which I hadn't listened to in over a month, but have heard hundreds of times).  The first 30 seconds of the opener, Oh, was already more interesting and immersive than the entirety of digging remedy.  And I wonder if the plaid boys have similar feelings.  It's probably a pretty unfair comparison by me.  Reachy Prints is a fucking phenomenal album.  Perhaps digging remedy is more of a collage of ideas.

Wow, finally someone that agrees!

#182 dr lopez

dr lopez

i did it for the general banterness of the act

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,374 posts
  • 108 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08
  • Interests:Riven
  • PSN:conlon_nancarrow

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

baby step giant step is one of my fav plaid tracks ever!

#183 Rpeg

Rpeg

desertus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 29-April 13

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:31 PM

baby step giant step is one of my fav plaid tracks ever!

def the highlight on the album for me, tho thought I was alone on that one.

It's a quiet album against the rest of their work but I keep returning to it, I don't find it boring or half-baked- I enjoy it for being a gentler thing. If their next work is a sharper, more layered album that maybe more fans have come to expect, it may also foster more fondness for this one. Not my favorite but love it just the same.