IGNORED

Being a musician for a living

sergeantk

As I've grown acclimated to the rather dreary 9-to-5 world, I have been thinking about this a lot lately. What does it really take to do music for a living? How do most people get there? Obviously, there's more to it than beefing up your follower count on soundcloud (contrary to what those spambots suggest).

If you do music for a living in any capacity, how did you get there? (I'm assuming that ceasing thoughts about this sort of thing and just working on the damn music has to do with it). If not, what keeps you going?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does it really take to do music for a living?

spend like 4+ hours a day making tracks from now on

live somewhere with a good scene

go out to shows//raves//gallery installations//indie film premieres//etc (depending on your style)

make friends with everybody (like forge some genuine friendships, not just promotional)

eventually get in good with venue owners//promoters//label guys//directors//etc

do that shit

watch your fortune grow

be okay with living on not much money because u chasing the dream

i feel like i was making a living in music last year, but i was also homeless & had literally no money for half of last year so ymmv

I don't think you can anymore unless you have a lot of money behind marketing you as a product, or you are really lucky with who you network and connect with. If you can't market yourself and navigate the social world you will find yourself at a big disadvantage. Social media is too noisy, polarized and oversaturated to a point now that people are starting to distance themselves from it.

I was talking with cygnus a bit about it in chat a few days back and how its really impossible to compete laterally just of the sheer quantity of musicians and output out there now for electronic music. Skill is very important but you have to become innovative and offer something that other artists do not have. Examples would be like a personal streaming service, a patreon account (bad road to go down), making your own software and hardware, or combining it with skill outside of knob twiddling and staring at a laptop.

I make enough to supplement my gas money and a bit of pocket cash and I don't see that changing anytime soon. There is a huge learning experience that I get out it that leads me into other areas of sciences, arts and math that further build and enhance my experience as a musician that drives me. I don't think any extrinsic reward could substitute it.

Playing live and DJ'ing. If you're good at that, that'll get you enough money to allow you to sit at home in the studio and make music. I know artists who don't sell many records (because who buys records these days), but as with bands, gigs are where the money is.

You have to have very good musicianship and also really good at networking. In addition, for a while, you'll have to do your own marketing and branding, etc. so that's something to keep in mind.

All in all, it's fucking hard, but plays out like a lot of other careers. Get to know someone that gets gigs/projects and work your way up the chain. Don't be afraid to ask for work.

Good advice already mentioned: gigging, networking, marketing, etc etc. But yeah, it's difficult. The vast majority of artists make little to nothing on sales even with a respected or well known label behind them.

The best way to get make a living is to be hired to create content for television, radio, web, etc. I have a friend who does well making background tracks for television shows. He just sits in his studio all day making a bunch of 1 minute loops with an intro and outro. Whenever he makes something he really likes, he puts aside for his own releases. He released on Section Z before they folded yet he's made practically nothing off sales.

Making and releasing music is akin to any other hobby really. Doing it for the joy and the connection with like minded artists is the best and most likely outcome.

+1 to paranerd's post.

Many moons ago, I had a juicy publishing deal with a then huge, trendsetting label, excellent press support here in France, "prestigious" gigs (such as Sonar 2008, opening for Squarepusher, µ-Ziq etc...), insane and unexpected support from both mainstream and niche artists... and I was absurdly far from making a decent living out of it. There are many reasons to explain how/why I "failed", and one of those is a cruel and comical lack of luck :)

It's a rough, unfair industry. No matter how "underground" the music you play, it's still an industry.

I really don't want to say that it's impossible, some of my friends pay bills with gigs and all kind of publishing deals... but they're lucky (and they know it).

I now have a dayjob I like, haven't released anything for years but am still producing, and somehow I feel relieved. I'll release something on Bandcamp when I'm satisfied with it and see how it goes from there. I'd love to make enough money out of it then to buy some nice gear (but I try not to have any expectations).

you make beautiful music serge, but it's not type of music you could live off, or you barely could.

imo

This is pretty harsh but true for a lot of independent/experimental producers. At the same time tho, you see artists like Tim Hecker and OPN who are very out there but manage to do music full time. But those guys also follow a grueling tour schedule.

It's really rare to see an experimental musician make music for a living but there are ways to make money. Try scoring to film, so many independent filmmakers settle for royal free shit music. You might do some work for free but the more connects you have the better. It's really all about who you know.

I think it's possible, but it'll be a true 'artists life' and wage. Unless you're some EDM traplord slinging the latest in drop-wop-wubby-fizz-pop music, or whatever the kids nowadays have on in the background when they do drugs at nu-raves'n'festivalz, chances are you're better off just not trying to live off your music. It's like opening a restaurant, aside from the fact that only 1/5 succeed over 5 years - it takes luck, shitloads of work, new and exciting food, long days, inspiration and really expensive equipment in most cases -- but the difference is, people still pay for food and there's not a million other chefs trying to show them their shitty food made off pirated flat-top griddles... :sarcasmshrugbear:

don't do it, the thing you love will become the thing you hate.

I can not agree more. I make music for me. I show tunes to friends when they stop by and I'm making things, but I've tried to keep music-making as personal as possible lately. I work my day-job that has all that shit I don't want to deal with - music is just something I happen to spend my money and free time on.

The tracks on the only soundcloud I've ever made are pretty much all collaborations or tunes from years ago. Doesn't mean I don't make music. I just don't like to share. :cerious:

you make beautiful music serge, but it's not type of music you could live off, or you barely could.

imo

This is pretty harsh but true for a lot of independent/experimental producers. At the same time tho, you see artists like Tim Hecker and OPN who are very out there but manage to do music full time. But those guys also follow a grueling tour schedule.

It's really rare to see an experimental musician make music for a living but there are ways to make money. Try scoring to film, so many independent filmmakers settle for royal free shit music. You might do some work for free but the more connects you have the better. It's really all about who you know.

imo tim hecker and opn make totally different kind of music and most importantly they're recognisable, i mean their music is. when you hear tim hecker's music you can try and guess who made it but you'll guess correctly in 3 attempts tops, i'm sure. same goes for opn's music. now, how to become recognisable? that's the right question!

good idea about scoring a film

I think it's possible, but it'll be a true 'artists life' and wage. Unless you're some EDM traplord slinging the latest in drop-wop-wubby-fizz-pop music, or whatever the kids nowadays have on in the background when they do drugs at nu-raves'n'festivalz, chances are you're better off just not trying to live off your music. It's like opening a restaurant, aside from the fact that only 1/5 succeed over 5 years - it takes luck, shitloads of work, new and exciting food, long days, inspiration and really expensive equipment in most cases -- but the difference is, people still pay for food and there's not a million other chefs trying to show them their shitty food made off pirated flat-top griddles... :sarcasmshrugbear:

Here's where i'd disagree. Skrillex made one of the most successful electronic releases with pretty much just ableton and massive.

What does it really take to do music for a living?

spend like 4+ hours a day making tracks from now on

live somewhere with a good scene

go out to shows//raves//gallery installations//indie film premieres//etc (depending on your style)

make friends with everybody (like forge some genuine friendships, not just promotional)

eventually get in good with venue owners//promoters//label guys//directors//etc

do that shit

watch your fortune grow

be okay with living on not much money because u chasing the dream

i lived off music for a few months last year and this is how i would describe my road there.

Collab with an indie female vocalist who sings vowel sounds in a breathy, idiosyncratic style. Manipulate some samples of her during the chorus so it sounds like a freestyling downsyndrome cyborg. Add Trap beats.

= $

learn to market yourself and create interest. imo great music just isn't enough, there is so much good music out there. what makes you different/interesting/worthwhile? brand yourself (or find a label that can do it for you).

for me this means everything from your name as an artist, themes, presence as a person (or as a band), artwork, track titles, live shows etc as much as it does actual marketing. you need to have something marketable in the first place.

think of autechre, aphex, BoC... just about any of the musicians/bands you like (that make a living from music). there are images, ideas, interest and branding behind the music as much as there is great music imo.

making good music will never be enough in a market this saturated.

if you don't really have any of that but you just make wicked sick tunez then the only way i can see you getting anywhere is by networking like crazy and building up a fan base via the internet and social media and hoping somebody with some serious industry knowledge takes notice somehow and they do all the work for you as long as you submit tracks to them.

disclaimer: i have 0 experience in the subject.

oh and play live as much as you can. very few artists can get going on recorded music alone.

don't try to adapt your music for a wider audience. be cool.

ugh, I have this continual struggle with the chiptune scene. I constantly oscillate between trying to make chip techno bangerz that will please typical chip audiences, and saying "fuck it" and just making either the most minimalist repetitive music possible, or impenetrable prog. Interestingly I don't think either of those are true to my "real" style. I think perhaps it's a combination of both sides, ie. somewhat more accessible minimal tech or prog pieces. Anyway, that was a tangent, but it's probably a large reason why I can't make money off my music, or get any widespread attention, because I'm just so fkn contrary all the time.

i don't really think anyone makes much money in the chip tune scene mate, it's too niche innit

yeah I should have stated that my problem wasn't with making money, hence tangent :emotawesomepm9:

Archived