IGNORED

Being a musician for a living

sergeantk

Do you mean being a musician and living off of Bandcamp cash or making music for movies, games etc?

Any which way.

Well, that's certainly possible!

Make a show reel of some sort with your music, sound design etc. Hook up with some production companies who make commercials, brand films etc.

And don't ever work for free.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lately I've been doing a full-hardware setup and loving it. Everyone I have over tells me I need to start giving the tunes out, but it just hasn't crossed my mind.

I have a phobia of giving away music, not because I don't think it's good or think it'll get ridiculed. It's mostly just a lack of effort to go in a package it all up/DAW it up and/or run it to multi-track recorder. It's more fun when I switch on all my machines, sync up all my sequencers and start slamming buttons, twiddling knobs and lining things up. It's never the same twice and I kinda like that more than documenting it, sharing it and moving along..

anyone else feel the same way.

I'm speculating, but I really think the future of some parts of the electronic scene could be moving in that direction. There's a lot more of it going on than we realize because it's not thrown at us in a package with labels tacked on it. But documenting unique performances of electronic music is already taking off. If I were good at it like you (it's something I've been working towards pretty heavily the past year or so) I'd try to monetize it. There's a market out there for it that is underserved/served for free...and we just let things be out there for free, can we? Oh no. Oh, no.

Lately I've been doing a full-hardware setup and loving it. Everyone I have over tells me I need to start giving the tunes out, but it just hasn't crossed my mind.

I have a phobia of giving away music, not because I don't think it's good or think it'll get ridiculed. It's mostly just a lack of effort to go in a package it all up/DAW it up and/or run it to multi-track recorder. It's more fun when I switch on all my machines, sync up all my sequencers and start slamming buttons, twiddling knobs and lining things up. It's never the same twice and I kinda like that more than documenting it, sharing it and moving along..

anyone else feel the same way.

Since my in-box approach moved entirely to composing in session view in Ableton I've been the same. Nice to have all the boxes open for a track and press play, loop as long as I want, change around as long as I want. I've yet to approach anything resembling a 'final' version of a track and I don't really feel the desire to. Just nice to jam with what I've got.

I think we can all agree the prospect of making $ from releasing music is a losing one. The few folks who are involved with music professionally and profitably (modestly of course) support themselves by DJing. Which brings me to this: I'd like to start playing tunes in NYC. Heh. If anyone has a good slot or night appropriate for a starter like me, do holler :) I will play Produk and Bobby Brown tunes.

Archived