IGNORED

2020 Semi Modular Beat Machine

auxien

6c13891cd8fd496b298f9c38d956a10d_origina

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/394188952/2020-the-semi-modular-beat-machine

And some heavily edited video:

Basically I'm very interested in this, but not sure it's worth the investment for what I might get out of it. Seen a few reviews popping up in the weeks since I first saw it, but none of them really have any more information on actual real time usage or live demos; all we're shown is the video above and some links to performances where it's assumed a version of the software was used. I'm quite sure this guy isn't blowing smoke, but I'm also not sure how useful/good this will actually be once it's complete.

• 3 years later...

checked back in on this just to see, they funded 33K+, still haven't released anything resembling the final product, nor have even updated the software in a year. pretty crazy this kickstarter shit, very glad I didn't throw my money at this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/394188952/2020-the-semi-modular-beat-machine/description

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

We've been trying to implement the 2020-SMBM in our main production facility since 3/5 Q1 but it hasn't exactly been a smooth ride. The sample slicer kept getting misaligned with the grid sequencer causing all kinds of weirdness from abnormally terminated rimshots to illegal flams meaning we now have shifts of 5 dudes in full ppe on constant standby in case the one shot samplers need to be re-filled. Already put one guy in hospital when a timpani broke loose and found its way onto one of the fx channels where it crashed into a gated reverb causing some of it to be released into the environment and our guy got the tail of it. Looks like he'll make it but that should not have happened. By the time they finally got a service tech onsite the higurashi generator was permanently stuck in french grip and just spitting out mangled maracas rolls and the whole goddamn thing overheated. Beatboxing is non-existent and definitely not suitable for use in an industrial production environment. At this point we might roll back to our old system before we lose any employees or clients.         

• Haha 3