IGNORED

Is there an indie music forum equivalent to WATMM?

Brisbot

Well not exactly an equivalent. Just wondering as WATMM has been useful in getting my music out there. I am wanting to help a friend of mine by finding a forum kind of like WATMM, but instead of electronic music, it's more guitar/indie/acoustic music. Think Sufjan Stevens.

Am I right in thinking there was indeed another message board called 'WATMM' or 'We Are The Music Makers' but was for a different genre of music ? Sure I didn't dream it ....

Well I guess WATMM is 'literally' for indie music. But it's better to think of it as a left field electronic music forum isn't it? I associate indie with guitary/folky/sufjan-y stuff

Am I right in thinking there was indeed another message board called 'WATMM' or 'We Are The Music Makers' message board that was for a different genre of music ?

speaking of which, is the WATMM reddit affiliated with this forum?

Well I guess WATMM is 'literally' for indie music. But it's better to think of it as a left field electronic music forum isn't it? I associate indie with guitary/folky/sufjan-y stuff

Yeah, good point. hrm

Cum.com

you frontin?

This site can’t be reached

cum.com’s server DNS address could not be found.

Edited by StephenG

Alright, I'll be lambasted. Foals' forum used to be decent, but then it got taken over by Warner and it turned ultra-shit. Might be still worth a shot if it exists though.

Alright, I'll be lambasted. Foals' forum used to be decent, but then it got taken over by Warner and it turned ultra-shit. Might be still worth a shot if it exists though.

looks like it doesn't even exist anymore.

Are there seriously no like.. general indie music forums? Why are there forums for specific bands? :\

I too would be interested in such a forum.

Starting to look like a dream :\

I will say, the only place I can think of for my friend to post his music would be on Reddit, like the indie subreddit ( http://reddit.com/r/indie/ ) where you can post your music.

Edited by Brisbot

While we started with electronic music, we are by no means limited by it - we encourage discussion on pop, rap, jazz, soul, blues, indie, alternative, etc.

oh I understand this, I've seen many different genres of music on here. But the forum is still predominantly left field electronic, and I'm curious about finding a forum that's predominantly indie.

I'm surprised that there isn't a popular forum dedicated to Indie music, indie music artists, etc. It's weird. There has been a forum for everything up to this point in my life. Also, indie music is notably more popular than IDM, making it even more confusing

not sure if it still exists but i remember purevolume being decent. had boards for different genres and the music knowledge was pretty good in general. used to browse it when i was a teen and it got me into a lot of music that shaped my teenage years (mostly post-hardcore and "real" screaming/emo). was one of the first places i heard about BoC too. think there was an indie board?

just had a little look on google and it looks like they've changed the site a ton from when i used it. looks like more of a SoundCloud type thing now. couldn't find the forum.

Edited by QQQ

just had a little look on google and it looks like they've changed the site a ton from when i used it. looks like more of a SoundCloud type thing now. couldn't find the forum.

Yeah I couldn't find the forum either. I signed up and browsed a bit. It also looks like you wouldn't be able to post your own music.

Looks like WATMM is special. I find it weird there are no indie forums like this. I mean there are hip hop, rock, and jazz forums, but indie? nope.

People that are into this kind of music are more likely to be found online.

If they do have a forum for indie music then they're probably all standing around smoking cigarettes and trying to one-up each other by listing an even more obscure band.

People that are into this kind of music are more likely to be found online.

If they do have a forum for indie music then they're probably all standing around smoking cigarettes and trying to one-up each other by listing an even more obscure band.

Well you'd think there would be a forum for the people making the stuff to discuss techniques and stuff...

Then again you are at least partly right. With places like Gearslutz and WATMM, makes perfect sense xD

Starting to get the message, for indie bands, BAND forums are good. I've been in the mindset that there may be specific forums dedicated to indie, but band forums... good idea

• 4 years later...
On 3/29/2016 at 6:45 PM, Brisbot said:

speaking of which, is the WATMM reddit affiliated with this forum?

I've been wondering this as well

I'm guessing no