IGNORED

Is the Rephlex discography lost to history

Rubin Farr

Been thinking recently of what legacy Rephlex will leave in the digital 21st Century. Looking back, was it a mistake not to put their releases up on bleep, or integrate with Planet Mu's digital store? I realize, independence was very important to Richard and Grant, and probly still is, but at what cost. Bandcamp came around just a little too late to offer a viable platform, but I cannot think of too many 100% independently run digital storefronts that rival the influence Rephlex exuded for over 20 years. fsoldigital runs a tight ship on their own, but they also make their releases available on other store like iTunes. I realize Rephlex would have never endorsed that, but where will new and younger fans look in the future, when they possibly discover Aphex for the first time, and read or hear some rumor he used to run his own label. The artists' bandcamps are scattered across that site, but there's no unifying database or location for fans to acquire past releases legally for the most part. Maybe digital sales could have helped save the sinking ship (if there was indeed a desire to carry on had sales been more profitable), as their web store seemed to be an experiment they gave up on fairly quickly.

I think the biggest problem was Grant was just one person, and you can't grow a business without any help. It was just too much for one person to manage all by themselves in the majority of cases.

yes, unfortunately all the music I released under AFX might never be re-released. I've asked Warp but they keep coming up with excuses. They just want new stuff really and ive always waited a few years to see what I have, what I want to release, and what I should keep for myself.

Melodies from Mars out on the first of next month!

The artists' bandcamps are scattered across that site, but there's no unifying database or location for fans to acquire past releases legally for the most part.

We should just put together a wiki of this very thing. Annotated Rephlex discography with legal DL links for all applicable releases. It'd be a service to the world.

The artists' bandcamps are scattered across that site, but there's no unifying database or location for fans to acquire past releases legally for the most part.

We should just put together a wiki of this very thing. Annotated Rephlex discography with legal DL links for all applicable releases. It'd be a service to the world.

Go for it, can you hyperlink in google docs?

:biggrin: stay tuned...

also a movie would be cool, thx

Once these men hit their mid 40's they seemed to lose interest in the site. Never the most elaborate of sites, it served it's purpose and was good to have all the tracks available in mp3's/flac and whatever you wanted to download. they lost interest in it very quickly when it looked to be taking off. Maybe it wasn't making money, hard to figure that out given the renewed interest around 2011. Maybe they needed more staff to handle admin and shipping. Who knows? They played their cards close to their chests. Not the most communicative chaps.

With no communication no-one will ever know what happened to the Railway Raver, some say he staggered onto some railway tracks after an illegal rave in 2010 and was hit by the 6:50am to Euston. Some say he was walking along the railway tracks to deliver some new tracks to rephlex in 2012 and hit by the 8:40pm to Waverley. The family need closure.

also a movie would be cool, thx

Straight Outta Cornwall: The Movie

well.... I have well over 2/3rds of rephlex CDs ever released (including the super rare ones, philosophy of sound, this purple universe etc) so I have a pretty fleshed out digital archive of the label. aiming for 100% some day...

i have loads of thoughts about rephlex... someday I'll write them down. but for now I honestly love the fact that it is hard to dig up even with the internet - for inquiring braindance heads only.

"Legal DL links"?!?!? Isn't the copyright 70 years or something like that?

"Legal DL links"?!?!? Isn't the copyright 70 years or something like that?

I think by that they meant Bandcamp. It Mike's old Rephlex stuff up on the Planet Mu store or his bandcamp?

• 2 weeks later...

it certainly would be nice to have all the previously released Rephlex stuff online to buy like it was through the old site.

if Grant doesn't have the time to do this, I'm sure there's someone else who would be willing to help out. *cough*

Yup, seems to me they just want to move on. They didn't give the rights back to all the artists for no reason, would be quite hard to centralize that all now. Too late.

It's out there someway or another and the freaks will find it if they seek, which suits the labels usual approach perfectly imo. I bought a LOT on that rephlex site too and I own more physical Rephlex releases than any other label. Good music won't be lost to history, and luckily there's a few labels reissuing Rephlex stuff properly (Clone for Zwischenwelt, Alek Stark for DMX Krew, Hypercolour for Kerrier District, etc.) as well as there being awesome labels like WeMe that picked up the best of the most recent Rephlex posse for new stuff.

I also really like the development of acts like EOD and Aleksi just releasing music as a series, but that's a different story.

is it wrong of me to kinda like the exclusivity of it all? or am i just a shitty filthy hipster cause i love lording over "people" who "like" "electronic music" by saying... well u need to learn about rephlex

Archived