IGNORED

What's up with the apathy toward Drukqs back in 2001?

Brisbot

Guest WNS000

That said I still wish he used his computer more. That's when the sounds he used shined the most, imho. I feel like his recent focus on hardware and simpler sounds means a larger focus on melody and composition.

Agreed.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WNS000

Yeah, I can agree with the opinion that there are some ugly sounding moments on Syro. I really enjoy 4 tracks on the album. The rest is doing nothing for me. Syro really shows how important proper mixing is to breakbeat/high tempo stuff. It does not work on Syro IMO. Too sluggish and clumsy.

Caribou, I think I know where you're coming from. I only he's almost too good at what he does now when he wants to be, and SYRO is the most glaring result of that. It sometimes seems just too polished and perfected.

Yeah, I can agree with the opinion that there are some ugly sounding moments on Syro. I really enjoy 4 tracks on the album. The rest is doing nothing for me. Syro really shows how important proper mixing is to breakbeat/high tempo stuff. It does not work on Syro IMO. Too sluggish and clumsy.

Exactly. It's just too damn perfect, too artificial sounding. It's strange though, Rushup Edge was fucking brilliant in every way and some of the Syro tracks were probably made around the same time.

Guest WNS000

Caribou, I think I know where you're coming from. I only he's almost too good at what he does now when he wants to be, and SYRO is the most glaring result of that. It sometimes seems just too polished and perfected.

Exactly. It's just too damn perfect, too artificial sounding. It's strange though, Rushup Edge was fucking brilliant in every way and some of the Syro tracks were probably made around the same time.

I am afraid we are on a different page. Syro is definitely not sounding "too damn perfect" to my ears. I would rather say "too basic", "preset-ish" and "clumsy/sluggish/dull/. I really enjoy his rhythmically sharp, spot-on sounds in those drill'n'bass tracks on Drukqs so this was a step back on Syro for me. Also, I think some of the compositions on Syro are just off. Some moments where elements aren't in harmony and just creating a big, meaningless mess. Also, some melodies and rhythms are just too carelessly produced for my taste. It is even worse in the contrast with the first 3 tracks on the album, which are really of Aphex's biggest quality IMO. Precise, balanced compositions with a great flow and without abrupt transitions.

I can only imagine what hearing Drukqs as your introduction to aphex/electronica must have been like. No wonder you guys adore it so much!

I guess prior experience really counts for a lot. I owned most of RDJ's back catalogue when Drukqs came out (thanks for HAB, Napster!) and listened to all the other stuff around at the time, squarepusher, snares, kid 606, V/VM, etc. So, like someone else mentioned, I also didn't feel the drill tracks were anything new (but loved those tracks on the album), and didn't get into the piano tracks or CCAI stuff at all.

I can appreciate it way more these days, especially the complexity of those drill tracks. Maybe listening to it from the point of view of it being a personality piece where he says goodbye to the 90s/reflects on a fractured musical identity will help tap in to some emotional depth...

The sketchbook analogy is nice as a it can be just as full of prized work as well as orphaned ideas. The the contents of an artist's sketchbook may simultaneously be the most easy to dismiss and most revealing work they possess....

Guest WNS000

Yeah the drill tracks are probably one of the most detailed pieces of music I have ever heard. You can literally pick an individual track in those songs and listen just to it and be amazed by its flawless, spot-on composition that really respects its surrounding tracks and all the elements and little bits. Perfect harmony, perfect rhythmic balance. Just incredible. The very best of music I have heard in my entire life. So even if Drukqs were just those few tracks I have mentioned it would be one of the most important albums.

Those who can not really concentrate on everything that happens in those drill tracks and are just dismissing it as a chaos or standard Aphex-go-mad are missing a lot. Fucking shitload of work in those.

I am afraid we are on a different page. Syro is definitely not sounding "too damn perfect" to my ears. I would rather say "too basic", "preset-ish" and "clumsy/sluggish/dull/. I really enjoy his rhythmically sharp, spot-on sounds in those drill'n'bass tracks on Drukqs so this was a step back on Syro for me. Also, I think some of the compositions on Syro are just off. Some moments where elements aren't in harmony and just creating a big, meaningless mess. Also, some melodies and rhythms are just too carelessly produced for my taste. It is even worse in the contrast with the first 3 tracks on the album, which are really of Aphex's biggest quality IMO. Precise, balanced compositions with a great flow and without abrupt transitions.

I think we agree, I'm just not expressing my point properly and I'm confusing you. Too presety, too bland and sometimes ugly.

Every sound on drukqs is necessary. The sheer amount of pieces to each track is amazing yet every piece adds exactly what it needs to. There is not a moment on the album where I think he got it wrong or could have done better.

DrukQs a very thin sounding album. The tracks don't flow together well, either. I don't know what he was thinking with the track arrangements.

The really harsh breakbeat tracks like vodhosbn and 54 cymru beats were awesome though. The bits of sound, ambient pieces, one offs and piano bits didn't do anything for me.

Loved Syro. That album was well arranged and sounded thick all the way through.

I think we agree, I'm just not expressing my point properly and I'm confusing you. Too presety, too bland and sometimes ugly.

Every sound on drukqs is necessary. The sheer amount of pieces to each track is amazing yet every piece adds exactly what it needs to. There is not a moment on the album where I think he got it wrong or could have done better.

For the record that quote isn't mine, that's Jev's.

Guest WNS000

I honestly don't get the hate against Syro even a little bit. It contains some of his most beautiful textures.

I haven't noticed any hate around.

No hate, just analysis. I can sit back and enjoy all the tracks on syro but sometimes I like to dissect the tunes. I thought that's what music forums were all about.

In contrast to what a person or 2 has said above, I feel like Syro's textures are real thick and meaty. Especially since they're the dryest he's ever had his synths like EVER, and they're fairly compressed. Little verb, delay, etc. It honestly rubbed off on me in a good way and I stopped overusing reverb myself because of it, though I generally do use more than Syro. I think he might have done it to show off the analog synths themselves. As reverb might muddle some aspects of the sound.

Even the pads sound like they have very little reverb. Just listen to it you'll see what I mean. It's kind hard to find any prominent verb, where as his albums before had points where there was plenty. It honestly sound very unique to me because of it. Almost all artists use a good bit of verb.

I love the sound and all the structures on Syro. Overall it feels maybe more emotional and human than the drill tracks on Drukqs, which makes it a bit more endearing to me. Not too fussed about more / less 'complex' - it's all about how effective it is.

I bought Drukqs on release day after having been a big fan for about ~5 years. I loved some of the tracks but the album as a whole to me was challenging. Over time I came to appreciate it more and more and now see it as next level shit that took time to get used to. Now I listen to it and it's a revelation.

been years since i did a drukQs listen-through. Gonna throw on the vinyl tonight and see how it goes....

Let us know how you get on :)

I never bothered to make playlists at the time, maybe because I'm from the CD generation, and also because I still wanted the full album experience. But, however many years too late, here it is. (I'm sure everyone else has already done this and it must have been discussed at the time so apologies to the old 'board heads if this is a re-tread).

Drukqs CCA1

1. Jnweythek Ylow

2. Kladfvgbung Micshk

3. Hy A Scullyas Lyf A Dhagrow

4. Prep Gwarlek 3B

5. Ruglen Holon

6. Beskhu3epnm

Great EP. Wouldn't have had the chops for it at the time but an interesting listen now with plenty to connect with. Wish the tracks didn't all run short.

Drukqs Piano EP

1. Strotha Tynhe

2. Avril 14th

3. Kesson Dalef

4. Father

5. Petiatil Cx Htdui

6. Nanou 2

Easy to like in the cold spring light, if not quite like Mark Springer-lite ;) Avril 14th is a truly masterful composition and Kesson Dalef and Nanou 2 are utterly beautiful.

Drukqs Drill Album

1. Vordhosbn

2. Omigyja Switch7

3. Cock/Ver10

4. Mt. Saint Michel...

5. 54 Cymru Beats

6. Meltphace 6

7. Taking Control

8. Afx237 v7

9. Ziggomatic 17

Holy Fuck. Maybe RDJ's third best album after ICBYD and Syro.

SAW 3/Sonic Fartist Single

1. Gwerly Mernans

3. Gwarek2

Depends if you like that sort of thing.

Inhaler B-sides

1. Bbydhyonchord

2. Orban Eq Trx4

Where's my asthma pump... I need some Ventolin to go with these.

Folktronica Really Was Thing In The Early Noughties Single

1. Btoum-Roumada

2. Penty Harmomium

Actually quite dig the almost-Badalamenti vibe of Btoum-Roumada by the end of it.

Palette Cleansers/Toilet Breaks

1. Aussois

2. Lornaderek

3. Bit 4

Whatever, this has already gone on for too long.

So actually, Drukqs contains 2 good EPs and maybe his third best LP for me. Who'd have known?! It just sucks as an 'album'.

been years since i did a drukQs listen-through. Gonna throw on the vinyl tonight and see how it goes....

So actually, Drukqs contains 2 good EPs and maybe his third best LP for me. Who'd have known?! It just sucks as an 'album'.

giphy.gif

For me the worse thing about Syro is all the random russian in it, it's so tacky and lame, at least in his previous works the french was more contained to just a few phrases in a track or another and worked great, in this the whole album has it.

I can only imagine if he gets a japanese girlfriend how his next album will be like.

Archived