IGNORED

What's up with the apathy toward Drukqs back in 2001?

Brisbot

Guest WNS000

I think the whole debate would get clarified if you shared some of your taste with us so we can orientate ourselves better.

Share some of your own music and favorite tracks with us, please.

About to head off the interwebs for now. Not going to share my music when there's obviously people being dickheads to me over my opinions. I'll perhaps share some other music when I sign back on. What genre?

PM me your music, I am interested.

Just list some of your favorite electronic tracks. Whatever it is. Just to check tastes.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

underground electronic dj's and underground producers = people who can't make music like autechre and afx with all the hardware or computers in the world

Haha OK dude, spoken like a true fan boy. Some of these people are artists that RDJ has played in his DJ sets himself. If you haven't noticed he loves underground dance music, especially the older classic and obscure material. I know most all of that material myself having been part of that scene for almost as long. So good luck with all that, I'm pretty happy with my success thus far. Further more I'm not trying to sound like anyone else but myself. What have you done?

i made some of the most top underground dj electronic music ever in the underground elektronic dance scene, you never heard of me? weird

anyway, saying autechre hasn't aged well or afx with a computer doesn't sound good is the death penalty for me

You sound like a true knob dude. You really have to realize that your input has zero credibility. What ever sarcastic little bullshit you just said there has nothing to do with what I said. In case you haven't noticed Richard loves the type of music Im referring to, I'd say 80% or more of what he's DJed in the past and what he's posted in his favorite tracks are in that vein. I'm merely showing how stupid you sound when you try to tell me my music will never compare to "these dudes" when I mention that a few artists that RDJ has played in his DJ's sets have played or otherwise supported my tunes. So in essence you're dissing Richards taste in music I guess, cool.

Never said a word about "you never heard of me?" my reference to my production experience was related my disagreement with another posters lengthy rant about how plug ins sound better than hardware. I guess you guy are right again, Richard doesn't have a clue what he's doing using all of that amazing hardware.

Hardware or computar, none of the people afx dj'd made a better album then drukqs, sorry folks

Guest Chesney

Yeah I want to hear too please.

While I agree with many of your opinions regarding hardware for my personal taste I cannot get behind you rage and one sidedness.

Both software and hardware routes are totally valid in any situation, it just depends on the user not the listener. In the box way of working does not suit me so I don't do it, I feel hardware is the best route to give me pleasure in the process and to give the results I want, I am still not there yet, but who is? Everyone feels they can get better.

Guest Chesney

Also, druqks and Syro are kind of equal in my favourites but I find that Rushup is the top for me. They are different for different moods, it has nothing to do whether they are computer based or hardware based for me, they tap into different parts of me. I like it all, they all do interesting things.

Yeah I don't get his rage. Or his need to call everything bullshit, and generally be an ass.

I mean I see his point. But he totally misinterpreted what I had initially been saying then ranted about a point I never even made >.>

For somebody to sit there and tell me that a computer with plug ins sounds better, well you lose all credibility IMO.

Nobody is telling you or trying to convince you of anything. You can't be wrong in liking a particular sound.

There's countless reasons we like/dislike the things we do, that has nothing to do with sound quality or transients etc

Well I've been listening to Aphex Twin since the mid 90's and everything he did until RDJ album I still listen to and never tire of. Every couple years I give RDJ and Druqs another chance and I just can't really get into them. I bought each of those albums the day they came out and tried hard to like them but probably only listened to them a couple weeks before putting them aside....and again, if you prefer his computer sounds or think his compositions have improved I can assure that you will always be in the overwhelming minority in thinking so. I honestly don't even understand how anyone can think such a thing hahah.

I used to adore the Richard D. James Album. It was the first AFX album I heard and I listened to nothing else for months. Strangely enough it gradually became my least favourite of his albums and these days I never play it. After hearing the rest of his stuff I really lost interest in it. It's weird 'cause I love druqks, Windowlicker and Come to Daddy but it's much weirder than thosd albums really. Probably his strangest.

Edit: Oh. Totally didn't see where this thread had gone before I posted.

Hardware is wank, digital is wank, buy a fucking Stratocaster and make some real music in real time signatures you fucking shitheads

I recall AFX was ranting against VSTs himself a decade ago on some forum incognito? The subject is kinda secondary, if you give the gear power over artistic vision, then it's the engineers who are the real creators and producers are merely servants of their mechanistic ideas masked as total freedom.

Also this guy already name-dropped Surgeon and Inigo Kennedy as some kind of quality mark, i think their brilliance (especially Surgeon's) is over-hyped by British media - they dwell on the same narrow field, however skillful at it. And it's not a field they designed for themselves like Jeff Mills did, who's similarly hitting the same spot for the last decade.

Regarding the original post & the average press towards Drukqs, perhaps it should be mentioned that, when the record came out in 2001, techno/electro was not exactly new and perhaps critics were disapointed by the lack of novelty factor of the record, as Aphex was supposed to reinvent music everytime with every record. At the time, 2 important records of post-techno or glitch or laptop music (cant think of worse "genres" names ah ah) but i guess you got the picture, were released : Ovalcommers by Oval and Endless Summer by Fennesz. Wether you like those albums or not, i guess the novely factor (which i guess is important from critics perspective) was bigger on those records. Also, at the time, i guess that some people felt the next big thing was not hyper speed drum & bass but US garage rock revival, as the first LP by The Strokes was released 3 months before Drukqs (and how brillant Hard to explain was and i'm fucking serous about it).

When Drukqs was released i was fully into such stuff like Oval, Mille Plateux and microhouse so while being a huge fan of AFX i was pretty disappointed with this LP.

So yeah, i can confirm novelty factor.

I had just gotten the classics cd from my brother then bought drukqs for myself and have never looked backed. PURE AFX HEAD since then, i am actually obsessed with this dude and have lost All friends and some family members due to them not liking his sounds. a bit extreme but i don't give a shit about anything else in life apart from any richard d release.

I even remember some reviewer's grumble: 'yeah you can chop breaks way better than say norman cook but what's the point?'

Yeah & i guess he choped breaks way better than Fatboy slim with Windowlicker & that was indeed a hit single in the UK. For better or worse, the absence of a catchy tune like Windowlicker was probably another reason of the average critics of Drukqs.

have to say to anyone reading this at this point you dont need any hardware to make electronic music apart from a computer, thats it, you have to be slightly mad to want to use hardware these days

Syrobonkers interview.

Well that escalated quickly!

I realise that people get passionate but how about trying to understand other people's views! I feel like an old hippy :(

Does the whole internet have to be kids kicking each other's sandcastles over?

It was fun talking about Drukqs with you all and I enjoyed reading the different opinions.

I bought Drukqs on release day, and to my friends it seemed like a bunch of left over tracks that didn't really advance his sound to the next level the way RDJ did. Plus the piano pieces were a jarring counterpoint and it seemed directionless to a lot of people I talked to. Then, the MP3 airplane shenanigans story, and rumors that it was a contract breaker surfaced, followed by 26 Mixes which seemed to reinforce that assumption. But a new generation appreciates it differently than we did back then. Analord to me was the next level shit I wanted, pushing his technique into a new direction for Richard.

That is very interesting. I cannot personally see how could Analord series be considered the next level for anybody. Standard synth sounds in standard sequences with a bit underground feel to the production.

Now don't get me wrong, I think some Analord tracks are very nicely done (I have not heard them all yet) but I would not considered them to be the next level. Or am I the only one who considers adventurous, fresh sound design to be the key component for "the next level" label?

Or do you mean next level in a way that he simply tried something different in the context of his career?

Yes, a new sound. He seemed to evolve between each release in the 90s, but Drukqs came off as maybe b-sides he wanted to put out, which is fine if it wasn't presented as a new concept album. It's not bad, just not my favorite.

Guest WNS000

I bought Drukqs on release day, and to my friends it seemed like a bunch of left over tracks that didn't really advance his sound to the next level the way RDJ did. Plus the piano pieces were a jarring counterpoint and it seemed directionless to a lot of people I talked to. Then, the MP3 airplane shenanigans story, and rumors that it was a contract breaker surfaced, followed by 26 Mixes which seemed to reinforce that assumption. But a new generation appreciates it differently than we did back then. Analord to me was the next level shit I wanted, pushing his technique into a new direction for Richard.

That is very interesting. I cannot personally see how could Analord series be considered the next level for anybody. Standard synth sounds in standard sequences with a bit underground feel to the production.

Now don't get me wrong, I think some Analord tracks are very nicely done (I have not heard them all yet) but I would not considered them to be the next level. Or am I the only one who considers adventurous, fresh sound design to be the key component for "the next level" label?

Or do you mean next level in a way that he simply tried something different in the context of his career?

Yes, a new sound. He seemed to evolve between each release in the 90s, but Drukqs came off as maybe b-sides he wanted to put out, which is fine if it wasn't presented as a new concept album. It's not bad, just not my favorite.

Understood.

Archived