IGNORED

What's up with the apathy toward Drukqs back in 2001?

Brisbot

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the album was fine, but a bit on the bloated side with some very skipable tracks (I'm not talking about the piano pieces... those are quite good!). I can understand why some people would see it as his masterpiece etc, but I just don't think it's THAT good. I've listened to it plenty and unpacked everything it has to offer to me.

Reviewers in general were sort of over IDM at the time though. Confield didn't review particularly well either.

I think the whole debate would get clarified if you shared some of your taste with us so we can orientate ourselves better.

Share some of your own music and favorite tracks with us, please.

About to head off the interwebs for now. Not going to share my music when there's obviously people being dickheads to me over my opinions. I'll perhaps share some other music when I sign back on. What genre?

share some analog recordings and lets see if we can use a plug-in that sounds better

just for fun

Im also partial to some acid-polka

OK sounds fun. People have constant debates and do blind tests online between hardware against some of the plug in simulations of the said hardware and they claim that most people can't tell the difference but the first problem with that is that they are both being listened to in a compressed mp3 format over the internet. If they were played live side by side it would be very easy to tell. Also most tests are done simply playing preset sounds of each, where the differences become more apparent once you start manipulating the parameters of the synths - filters, envelopes etc.

having said that, I'd say out of the door you won't hear a plug in sound as organic and lively as this simple monosynth....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMn1OzFPmL0

Or quite as lush as this, which I believe Richard has on his Syro gear list....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocKbRn_JiEk

or the music easel again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsTtTyfqn1g

skip ahead to around 3:30 dude gets some very stone in focus like tone from his modular...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1MbGn2EqwM

I'm not knocking plug ins either I use the computer as the sequencer/brain of my productions and there are a few plug ins I love. I've used software since the early 00's but mainly to compensate for not being able to afford the high end hardware. Over time I've accumulated a decent amount of gear and there are certain sounds I want in my pallette that cannot be replicated in the software world.

I pulled out Clark's "Empty The Bones Of You" for the drive and when "Tyre" came on, I thought of it in a completely different light than I did 13 years ago (jesus fuck).

FUCK

I stuck on the drukQs vinyl last night for the first time in about 5 years - really enjoyed ti in a nostalgic kinda way and the piano bits are a nice break from the crazy beats

There's a vinyl social club starting in my small country town tmrw so i will defo bring it along to freak the rockers out!

Post yr tunes.

sent using magic space waves

Why would I do such a thing with with all the hostility directed toward me in this thread? So the trolls can talk shit on it here and other places online? I'll pass.

And just reiterate, I don't hate Drukqs or any other Aphex release. I'm impressed by it as a statement. I'm just not as drawn to it as other releases. I definitely gravitate toward more minimal composition in my tastes and I feel that his earlier material displayed an almost perfect grasp of that. My whole argument in this thread stems from people saying things like - his composition improved by leaps and bounds on Drukqs - and I've seen similar statements in the past on this site and I disagree whole heartedly. In my opinion it takes just as much talent if not more to create a very compelling piece of music out of fewer elements and In electronic based music it's all to easy to create virtually endless layers of sound, it almost strikes me as a sense of showing off. Not saying Drukq is pointless layers of sound, it's compositionally interesting as well, I just don't really get into super complexity in music. There's not a lot to grasp onto as everything is just flying past your head a mile a minute. Within more minimalist structures my mind is able to wonder off into my own imagination. I forget what musician said (John Cage perhaps?) there is no such thing as repetition in music as far as the brain is concerned...meaning the mind is always going throughout. What I love about more dance oriented music is the ability to put you in a zone. I've experianced moments I can only describe as trancendental while dancing at certain raves or other dance events, whether on a drug or not hah. What I love about the composition of that music is that it is ancient in form and structure...couple these tribalistic rhythm structures with the futuristic element of synthesizers and it's nothing short of mind blowing to my brain!

I don't give shit either what peoples opinions are about the music I like. It's just obnoxious to read some comments on here and many other threads of people spouting off so matter of factly about things that I just feel an overwhelming need to call bullshit on. In my experience, most people who prefer the compositional style of druqs etc. are fans of crappy, generic, computer driven "EDM" which places it's focus on technical acrobatics, edits and approaches music more like its a sport and consequently it is the biggest shit stain on the face of electronic music history.

what were you saying about hostility again

You were so full off yourself and your toplevel productions, bashing people who love drukqs and now you dont wanna post your songs cause people might talk shit about it on the internet

Lol

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI Y330-U01 met Tapatalk

What I love about more dance oriented music is the ability to put you in a zone. I've experianced moments I can only describe as trancendental while dancing at certain raves or other dance events, whether on a drug or not hah. What I love about the composition of that music is that it is ancient in form and structure...couple these tribalistic rhythm structures with the futuristic element of synthesizers and it's nothing short of mind blowing

right on dude, soon I'm gonna get naked (get my cock out) and dance round the fire lol

It takes more talent to own lots of expensive gear and play fewer notes on them, gottit.

*jots*

Post yr tunes.

sent using magic space waves

*blahblah* I'll pass. *blahblah*

Hey. Post yr tunes.

Out of curiosity anyone know if Syro was totally mixed in his own studio before mastering? And also whether he mixed druqks solo too before mastering?

It seems as though he's always maintained that aspect of his music which to me has always given his tunes a unique sound. Some of the computer/tracker era stuff is great home listening but not always the best on club systems (although i cant say ive hard THAT much of it out), seems like it was a deliberate choice he and his contemporaries were making at the time.

Lots of pro mixing and mastering today seems to be pretty standardised (for better or worse). Imo his mixdowns have just gotten better and better, analord/Tuss + has been unreal, maybe a result of his high end gear and the years of learning to become a damn decent producer technically and musically.

Would be interesting to hear a pro get to mixdown some of the beat tracks on druqks through some high end hardware and master it to todays standards to see how it comes out, which correct me if im wrong but most big player labels in electronic music and especially Pop/edm/rnb will have a mixing and mastering guy to take the artists work and make it sound better again using proper high end gear.

Pretty sure i read about OPN's last album being mixed in a studio with a pro and OPN helping and sitting in to express his vision for it. Important to consider this in your talking about hardware v software I think, some of these all digital albums are probably run through some hardware compressor that is more expensive then most of our studios in the one unit. its one thing that shits me about people talking about how good so and so is at production, would be interesting to hear lots of artists own mixdowns before the pros come in to polish it off.

Hearing RDJ do updates to the druqks mixes with his current setup would be interesting, it would be telling to see how his ear for it has changed over the years.

also post yr tunes

I don't give shit either what peoples opinions are about the music I like. It's just obnoxious to read some comments on here and many other threads of people spouting off so matter of factly about things that I just feel an overwhelming need to call bullshit on. In my experience, most people who prefer the compositional style of druqs etc. are fans of crappy, generic, computer driven "EDM" which places it's focus on technical acrobatics, edits and approaches music more like its a sport and consequently it is the biggest shit stain on the face of electronic music history.

Well I will defend myself if attacked for my opinion. I'm passionate about music and have very strong likes and dislikes. One criticism I have about "EDM" is that since so much of it is plug in driven, a lot of it ends up sounding very similar sonically. Where as with hardware, every piece of gear has it's own unique sound and DAC so you get a bit more variation to the palette.

he said he recorded syro to 2 track tape which means it was mixed by him after being meticulously programmed/sequenced. so, according to him, he sequenced all these synths and everything and when he was done hit play, recording to tape, and that was that. no edits or anything. and i'm pretty sure he probably has all the 'proper high end gear' someone needs to do a mix. or doesn't actually need, depending on how you look at it.

You were so full off yourself and your toplevel productions, bashing people who love drukqs and now you dont wanna post your songs cause people might talk shit about it on the internet

Lol

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI Y330-U01 met Tapatalk

Never really said anything about "top level productions". More of matter of me sighting actually 16 years of experience producing in relation to the computer/hardware debate. 10 yrs is how long I've been releasing music that other labels are willing to pay to press vinyl records but I've used every plug in imaginable since the early 00's since I couldn't afford much hardware at that time.

it's funny, I got into aphex twin in 2007 and it set me up at the time to look for super complex drilly shit, now I seek out the most minimal "doomp doomp doomp doomp doomp doomp doomp doomp" type techno.

it's funny, I got into aphex twin in 2007 and it set me up at the time to look for super complex drilly shit, now I seek out the most minimal "doomp doomp doomp doomp doomp doomp doomp doomp" type techno.

I feel ya on that. I used to love the complexity, now it's a whole new ballgame.

Guest WNS000

Out of curiosity anyone know if Syro was totally mixed in his own studio before mastering? And also whether he mixed druqks solo too before mastering?

It seems as though he's always maintained that aspect of his music which to me has always given his tunes a unique sound. Some of the computer/tracker era stuff is great home listening but not always the best on club systems (although i cant say ive hard THAT much of it out), seems like it was a deliberate choice he and his contemporaries were making at the time.

Lots of pro mixing and mastering today seems to be pretty standardised (for better or worse). Imo his mixdowns have just gotten better and better, analord/Tuss + has been unreal, maybe a result of his high end gear and the years of learning to become a damn decent producer technically and musically.

Would be interesting to hear a pro get to mixdown some of the beat tracks on druqks through some high end hardware and master it to todays standards to see how it comes out, which correct me if im wrong but most big player labels in electronic music and especially Pop/edm/rnb will have a mixing and mastering guy to take the artists work and make it sound better again using proper high end gear.

Pretty sure i read about OPN's last album being mixed in a studio with a pro and OPN helping and sitting in to express his vision for it. Important to consider this in your talking about hardware v software I think, some of these all digital albums are probably run through some hardware compressor that is more expensive then most of our studios in the one unit. its one thing that shits me about people talking about how good so and so is at production, would be interesting to hear lots of artists own mixdowns before the pros come in to polish it off.

Hearing RDJ do updates to the druqks mixes with his current setup would be interesting, it would be telling to see how his ear for it has changed over the years.

also post yr tunes

I don't know but the drill tracks on Drukqs are one of the best mixes I have ever heard in electronic music. Very precise, punchy and yet very dynamic. Syro is more underground-like but I like it too. Nothing from Aphex I have heard sounds like a generic production. It always has a unique character.

Well I will defend myself if attacked for my opinion. I'm passionate about music and have very strong likes and dislikes. One criticism I have about "EDM" is that since so much of it is plug in driven, a lot of it ends up sounding very similar sonically. Where as with hardware, every piece of gear has it's own unique sound and DAC so you get a bit more variation to the palette.

I'd say most of what everyone cares about here is not you stating your opinion, it's you stating your opinion like it's a fact that we should believe because your tunes are so great and you have tried out literally every DAW and every digital plugin ever. And yet, you choose not to post your tunes so we can believe how badass you are. Which leads us back to:

post yr tunes

Meh don't recall ever saying how great my tunes were. All talk of my production experience was in response to a personal attack directed at me by dude saying how I'll never compare to Aphex Twin...which is a rather silly statement. Like saying if you're not as good as Michael Jordan you shouldn't bother trying to play basketball. Don't think I stated anything as fact just stating the obvious - when you have the dream collection of gear that RDJ does there's little point in using a plug in. It's like choosing to drive a (insert crappy car) when you have a Ferrari. This is becoming silly at this point. Not everything is subjective.

Archived