IGNORED

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story <Spoilers>

Rubin Farr

there's something about the way the skin moves and stretches over the underlying bone structure on a real human, that animation still struggles to match making it look more like wet clay than a human being when in motion. In stills it can look fine.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched this last night, and I quite enjoyed it. There were some pacing issues, but IMO they were minor. I think the last 1/4 of the film seemed rushed and missed the chance to really feel the shit tons of emotions/deaths/etc. Hopefully an extended cut might clean that up some...If so, I could see this really being the type of film I enjoy watching over and over again. Certainly not 'high art' filmmaking or anything, though there were some great shots and scenes, just a fun, action-packed story...which is all I expected from it.

Oh yeah the CG Tarkin and Princess were lame when face-on They should've just got clever with the camera angles and editing in those scenes. The worst part of that was the rest of the CG in the film was amazing, in that I don't think I once noticed it.

They probably should've dropped Tarkin, and had more of Krennick instead, could've used more of Mads as well then maybe. Would be interesting to see how much of the original cut was dropped for the reshoots, and what % of that involved fan service.

^good point Rubin.

Also the amount of old footage clips was a touch silly. It would've been perfect if they'd snuck in just like one quick shot, then maybe snagged some audio clips or something. Basically what I'm saying is I should've edited or directed this, obviously

also grand moff tarkin looks like dobby the house elf

Um, no.

gallery-1460037263-rogue-one-star-wars-b

Dobby-the-House-Elf.jpg

notice that Krennick didn't age after 20 years even though Jyn grew to an adult?

Um, no:

tumblr_oezmslWYtc1uzm0gno2_540.gif

1480052597698.jpg

Granted, he's wearing a hat, but you could surmise he's less gray than he is later in the film - hell, I look pretty much the same 20 years later barring a LOT more gray hair!

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see this today because I had some tickets that I needed to spend. I was really bored until the last third or quarter. The Force Awakens was dumb but at least entertaining enough to keep me interested. Rogue One was both dumb and boring for the most part. I felt like I was going to fall asleep before it got going. Like watching a mediocre scifi TV soap series I had no interest in.

It pissed me off how much footage they grabbed for the trailer then was nowhere to be found. Like Jyn vs the Tie Fighter, I wanted to see that shot.

It pissed you off?

• 3 months later...

It pissed me off how much footage they grabbed for the trailer then was nowhere to be found. Like Jyn vs the Tie Fighter, I wanted to see that shot.

but you did see it - it was in the trailer

• 3 months later...

Watched this the other day on Netflix.

Star Wars is too future for me. Ho-hum set pieces, ho-hum characters, ho-hum score. Star Wars paint by numbers. The fuck that Grand Moff...You guys see that shit. wth was that. I don't care who's doing the CGI...people can't be done convincingly yet. Totally unnecessary, fan boy dick stroking. 

death star/10 

• 4 weeks later...

also grand moff tarkin looks like dobby the house elf

Um, no.

gallery-1460037263-rogue-one-star-wars-b

Dobby-the-House-Elf.jpg

notice that Krennick didn't age after 20 years even though Jyn grew to an adult?

Um, no:

tumblr_oezmslWYtc1uzm0gno2_540.gif

1480052597698.jpg

Granted, he's wearing a hat, but you could surmise he's less gray than he is later in the film - hell, I look pretty much the same 20 years later barring a LOT more gray hair!

No one appreciated the lighting of Imperial ships. The shadowing and illumination practically shaves 20 years off your age.

It pissed you off?

Finally watched this last week. I thought it was better than A Force Awakens.

- Far less nostalgia driven

- Decent ending

- Probably the most plausible portrayal of the Rebellion in any of the films: they never really delved into the shaky politics of a rebel entity or the dark underbelly of clandestine and underground operations that are essential to any force fighting in an asymmetrical war in previous films. Biggest gripe of AFA was the really half-baked plot development of the Rebellion and Empire. Lot of opportunity to redirect the portrayal of the Empire and instead we just got A New Hope 2.0 (new paint on X-Wings! more bigly Death Star with even paler, British-ier officers!) 

- once again the fucking droid steals most of the scenes

Archived