IGNORED

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story <Spoilers>

Rubin Farr

A trailer like this makes me want to see a full length CG Star Wars movie rendered is a realistic style, counter to the Clone Wars film. I'm expecting as the years go on, Disney will want to replicate with SW what the MCU has become, and expand the mythology of The Force greatly, both into the future but also the distant past. The perfect candidate for this would be a CG Yoda movie, he's CG anyway, so show him in the Old Republic, maybe even a trilogy of films, or a time shifting film ala Tarantino style. I have no doubt they will do a Yoda movie at some point, but it will probly be live action. Show that The Force is cyclical, and a vergence occurs when it needs to, The Force is like a river constantly self correcting its own course.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

yeah. it's a rad trailer. nice to see something new after the rehash heavy force awakens.. really hoping the future films bring something new to the table ( but ... with the scheduled films already being along the lines of .. han solo film, boba fett film, death star film... + what happened to the star trek films after the hopeful 2009 introduction ... it's hard to see any reason to be super hopeful??). which brings me back to the old republic trailer.. yeah!! it's nice :^) 

also, #shoutout to RLM for introducing me to china's attempts at promoting the film to a market seemingly completely oblivious to the star wars franchise 

singing about 808s is close enough to BB8, IG88 ... i guess ? 

looks pretty average but i'll still see it

smh... how you can say that... I guess if you aren't a Star Wars fan, it wouldn't have the same impact. I thought it was awesome - I just hope the movie can live up to the promise of it's trailers.

i'm a massive star wars fan - biggest problem is why do we need to cram darth fuckin vader into this movie?? no one cares anymore! as is made perfectly clear in the RLM vids he is not space jesus; the be all and end all of the universe and is just a cool bad guy who now has lost every single scintilla of interest because its been crammed down our throats etc. This was the perfect opportunity for a fun lighthearted adventure flick that maybe took place in the grimy, seedy underworld of the star wars world. a movie that isn't about good vs evil; rebels vs empire. all we needed were some cool bad guys, some fun spaceship chases, some lighthearted comic relief provided by gay robots. it would perhaps subtly reveal some answers star wars fans have asked for decades... nice fan service that doesnt get in the way of its own distinct story and characters. instead we now have THE EMPIRE IS POWERFUL AND WE HAVE TO PUT IT ALL ON THE LINE FOR THE REBELLION. we know that already. seems like a wasted opportunity and more annoying fan service with vader.

what i really really do not understand with this star wars disney universe this is how safe they are playing it when you literally have the worlds most failsafe property. everyone will go see a star war. everyone. there is not a piece of intellectual property on earth that is more sure to make loads of money than star wars. it is a guaranteed hit no matter what. so why not take a creative risk when you know you don't need to worry too much about the finances? why not really try something unusual (or good.) Does disney really think that the legions of fans will have grand mal seizures if they don't see at least 5 seconds of darth vader mask? ultimately disappointing but i don't really care anymore.

apart from the acting and script which looks p bad, the production design looks impressive (as usual) I'm still gonna see it JR dont worry

It would be nice if Darth was a brutal evil as fuck asshole in this one, Lord Vader needs some redemption after getting buttraped by Hayden Christensen and George Lucas.

i'm a massive star wars fan - biggest problem is why do we need to cram darth fuckin vader into this movie?? no one cares anymore! as is made perfectly clear in the RLM vids he is not space jesus; the be all and end all of the universe and is just a cool bad guy who now has lost every single scintilla of interest because its been crammed down our throats etc. This was the perfect opportunity for a fun lighthearted adventure flick that maybe took place in the grimy, seedy underworld of the star wars world. a movie that isn't about good vs evil; rebels vs empire. all we needed were some cool bad guys, some fun spaceship chases, some lighthearted comic relief provided by gay robots. it would perhaps subtly reveal some answers star wars fans have asked for decades... nice fan service that doesnt get in the way of its own distinct story and characters. instead we now have THE EMPIRE IS POWERFUL AND WE HAVE TO PUT IT ALL ON THE LINE FOR THE REBELLION. we know that already. seems like a wasted opportunity and more annoying fan service with vader.

what i really really do not understand with this star wars disney universe this is how safe they are playing it when you literally have the worlds most failsafe property. everyone will go see a star war. everyone. there is not a piece of intellectual property on earth that is more sure to make loads of money than star wars. it is a guaranteed hit no matter what. so why not take a creative risk when you know you don't need to worry too much about the finances? why not really try something unusual (or good.) Does disney really think that the legions of fans will have grand mal seizures if they don't see at least 5 seconds of darth vader mask? ultimately disappointing but i don't really care anymore.

apart from the acting and script which looks p bad, the production design looks impressive (as usual) I'm still gonna see it JR dont worry

I'm not worried; I just can't get past your reasoning:

• "apart from the acting" (really? Judging the acting of a 2+ hour movie from a trailer, which at most has characters uttering a few words to a sentence or two?)
  • "script which looks p bad" (please direct me online where you read the script)
  • playing it safe (the movie you described is exactly what I would consider "playing it safe" with Star Wars, and reeks of fanservice. I think what they are doing with Rogue One is taking a chance, and outside of Darth Vader (which makes sense for him to be in this movie more so than any of the mainline characters), they are taking a huge chance with characters NOBODY, not even the hardcore fans have even heard of outside the Clone Wars animated series. For example:
  • Blind asian martial arts guy (I thought I would never see this trope in a SW movie)
  • Huge Imperial droid reprogrammed to serve the Rebels
  • An Imperial leader that is not a faceless Moff or Admiral
  • Water and beaches, tropical environments
  • Introducing new vehicles and characters that are NOT in the mainline movies (this may backfire unless they can reasonably explain how some of these characters that are so important are never mentioned or heard of again in the mainline movies)

Besides all that, they are telling a part of the SW story that sets up all the others - it will be interesting to see how they go from the Geonosians (the bug aliens from Episode II: Attack of the Clones) having the plans for the Death Star to using Galen Erso (Mads Mikkelson's character) to create the super laser for it, and if there will be any references to the Geonosians designing the space station.

All I say is I wouldn't be so dismissive until the movie actually comes out - THEN we can micro analyze what did and didn't work, and if overall it worked or not. It's OK to be skeptical, but to say it looks "pretty average" is a bit of a disservice.

It would be nice if Darth was a brutal evil as fuck asshole in this one, Lord Vader needs some redemption after getting buttraped by Hayden Christensen and George Lucas.

Read the Darth Vader comic series that just concluded:

gmruz3t4zfvzaa2c5xfz.png

onwnojyfknlqw3s7uopi.png

upuikhpqqhtuimda8xwq.png

Guest bitroast

hint : why was darth vader heavily included in the merchandise lineup for The Force Awakens despite not only appearing in the movie as a burnt to the crisp charcoaled helmet ?

7809598c3632cfc7de1c459b3edb9e38.png

Vader's depiction on Rebels is really good IMO, in the finale, his breath mask got damaged so you could see Anakin's yellow eye, and Ashoka tried to reach him, but he literally said "Anakin Skywalker is dead". It was one of the best Lightsaber duels in the whole series, but the ending was kept intentionally murky as they both walked away from it.

And to answer your question bitroast: Vader sells merchandise, just like The Joker. He was barely in Suicide Squad, but heavily featured in the merchandising.

Vader's depiction on Rebels is really good IMO, in the finale, his breath mask got damaged so you could see Anakin's yellow eye, and Ashoka tried to reach him, but he literally said "Anakin Skywalker is dead". It was one of the best Lightsaber duels in the whole series, but the ending was kept intentionally murky as they both walked away from it.

And to answer your question bitroast: Vader sells merchandise, just like The Joker. He was barely in Suicide Squad, but heavily featured in the merchandising.

Yeah, and apparently the chop-job of an edit they did that probably ruined a decent (not good) movie left a lot of his role on the cutting room floor according to Jared Leto. Enough to have tons of special features on the Blu-Ray apparently...

Yeah, and apparently the chop-job of an edit they did that probably ruined a decent (not good) movie left a lot of his role on the cutting room floor according to Jared Leto. Enough to have tons of special features on the Blu-Ray apparently...

Well it is getting an extended edition, so yeah maybe.

I like how Rebels is picking up loose plot threads from the movies and expanding on them, like what happened to the remaining clones, or in this case where did the massive droid armies go after being ordered to shut down?

Archived